Airbox mod

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i can see a little hp 1/2-1 maybee. It wil make the bike run with less resriction and sound better. you will have to use a PC if the cats are gutted and the airbox and exhaust are changed to get it done right. Correct me if i am wrong (which i prob am)

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
i can see a little hp 1/2-1 maybee. It wil make the bike run with less resriction and sound better. you will have to use a PC if the cats are gutted and the airbox and exhaust are changed to get it done right. Correct me if i am wrong (which i prob am)
I've read much on this and no one has done a dyno proving either way.

I keep it as is because it sounds much better.

H

HavBlue

Ok your PhatDoggy on SBN.

I want to throw something out to you about this.
I am not going to mod my airbox.

Our bike does have a 02 sensor. The ECU has to use the info the O2 sensor provides to adjust A/f other wise there is no point in having the sensor. The only way to adjust them amount of O2 in the exhaust system is to adjust the ratio of O2 to Fuel in the burn. It reads the amount results of A/f and adjusts for it.
It has to. Otherwise the bike would have trouble riding in death valley, and then going up into the rockies. The O2 level in those two places are signifigantly different.

Which bike has an O2 sensor? My 2004 would appear to have missed the boat on this one. Not only have I looked at the entire exhaust front to rear but the manual (electrical schematic) doesn't show a wiring harness for it either. Nor is there any mention of it in the manual. It was my understanding the S2 models had one though. As far as I know, the 2004 measured and changed A/F ratio through the use of a sensor array that included the TPS, intake air pressure and Intake air temperature sensor matching this information with a VSS. Very simple system but also effective.

H

HavBlue

I doubt that very seriously, and can't believe it til its proven.

Don't doubt it, just take the cat out and you will see. This is why they make high-flow cats too. I would doubt the 5hp gain but I would have no problem buying into the fact that with the cat removed you will find the bike gets better fuel economy and range. It may also accelerate harder on the top end too.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Some dyno results on a different bike, but same scenario. This article has a lot of information on it (note the flies removal, which is the zx14 equivalent), and seems to parallel what the airbox mod does for the fz6's.

http://www.brocksperformance.com/lowend.htm

This thread has become a soap opera!!! I can't wait to see tomorrows episode!!!:justkidding: LOL :Sport:

P.S. did the mod work or not?

This will be my final post on this topic :eek: for fz6's at least ;)

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
...and seems to parallel what the airbox mod does for the fz6's...

It has no relevance to an FZ at all. No secondary throttle plates, no ECU programming for different gears, no TRE. Your reaching too hard for validation of the airbox hatchet job.

This will be my final post on this topic :eek: for fz6's at least ;)

Thank God for this bit of information. Someone lock this thread and put it out of it's misery for good...

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
actually if you bothered to read it you'd see its talking about air fuel ratios and not for or against the mod. The question is damage from a/f ratio, its effect in the combustion cycles, not how badly it gets peoples panties in a bunch because they don't like their OPINIONS challenged with facts.

the issue is increased air and removal of an obstruction into the intake - 100% relevant to the airbox mod. both mods (removal of secondary flies) causes an ease of airflow, increase low end and mid torque, and people like you to get all dramatic in a technical thread/topic.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Being in Iraq, i have no way to ride, only time to research different techniques, mods, and want lists of what to buy when i come back, lol. Anyway, this mod seems very intriguing, especially with the whole O2 sensor ideas and for this mod being safe for a pre-2007 FZ6.

So, I have decided that I need to contribute to this forum in some way.

When I get back state-side, I will get a before and after Dyno upon my '05. I will buy a new cover just in case, and I am thinking about getting a PCIII USB with a custom map anyway.

I just need to know if people are going to want pictures of the dyno results and if people are still interested in this mod.

wdsoccer

Reaction score
Visit site
can someone help a noob on how to do the airbox mod on a 04 FZ6? i have done this on many cars but i cant seem to find the air box on the bike. couple simple instructions would be wonderful. thanks.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
can someone help a noob on how to do the airbox mod on a 04 FZ6? i have done this on many cars but i cant seem to find the air box on the bike. couple simple instructions would be wonderful. thanks.

search this thread. It has pics an links on it. There is a pic on the first page that shows the air box. it is under the tank.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL! Trust me, anyone who has witnessed the pchbreeze airbox mod will beg you not to hurt your bike in this way.

Sorry Dude, but your bike kept stalling at idle. :spank:

BTW - I hope you finally decided to start wearing gear?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site

If you're going to start taking off the tank etc on your bike (which you need to do to get to the airbox) you need to buy a Haynes or Clymer repair manual. It's invaluable for any work on the bike from minor tyre pressure checks to doing the valve gapping! I have a Haynes manual and it's great!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL! Trust me, anyone who has witnessed the pchbreeze airbox mod will beg you not to hurt your bike in this way.

Sorry Dude, but your bike kept stalling at idle. :spank:

BTW - I hope you finally decided to start wearing gear?

buahahahahaha +1 on that... I rode his bike after he did the airbox mod (or should we say "after he destroyed" his airbox) and the thing wouldn't go above 10k rpms!!! LOL true story.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
It probably wouldn't go above 10k rpms because it now needs a custom map in a PC3 to adjust for new airflow that the stock ECU can't deal with. I remember trying no airbox cover once on a 1987 Magna. Same exact thing happened. I figured it all out years later (yes, I reinstalled it right after my initial failed experiment!) when I got really interested in tuning and tweaking bikes. I'm guilty of doing a minor airbox mod, and cut a small rectangle INSIDE the intake snorkel. That's all I'm going to do, but I also have a PC3.
I also did airbox mods to later model Magnas, and they did nothing noticeable in the mid range up. Only airbox mod that did make a difference was one done to a VTX1800, and I ended up getting a real intake anyway...LOL!:eek:

- T.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It probably wouldn't go above 10k rpms because it now needs a custom map in a PC3 to adjust for new airflow that the stock ECU can't deal with. I remember trying no airbox cover once on a 1987 Magna. Same exact thing happened. I figured it all out years later (yes, I reinstalled it right after my initial failed experiment!) when I got really interested in tuning and tweaking bikes. I'm guilty of doing a minor airbox mod, and cut a small rectangle INSIDE the intake snorkel. That's all I'm going to do, but I also have a PC3.
I also did airbox mods to later model Magnas, and they did nothing noticeable in the mid range up. Only airbox mod that did make a difference was one done to a VTX1800, and I ended up getting a real intake anyway...LOL!:eek:

- T.
It all depends on the bike and the original design. Sometimes the airbox doesn't have the optimal air inlet - sometimes it does. On my last bike, drilling a 1 inch hole in the airbox made a massive difference and 99% of the people who tried it were happy. Of course, it was a motorcycle guru who found and documented it so it had instant support. Here and here. :Flip: Of couse, it's a carbed bike so ajustment of the pilot screws was needed. Luckily it didn't require rejetting etc. For the automatically adjusting 07+ FZ6s it should do all that hard work for you! :)

It's a pity the jury still seems to be out as to whether it's worth it on our bike. :(