Airbox mod

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..just read this entire thread and can honestly say that the verdict is still out on this mod.

Personally, from my experience with tuning cars in the past (albeit bikes are usually run off simpler systems) here are my conclusions:

1. This mod WILL result in a freer flowing intake, and therefore SHOULD result in more power. Naturally more air and the same amount of fuel will result in a leaner fuel mixture, and therefore more power..that much is simple. The FZ's (07 and up) O2 sensor should be able to notice this and adjust slightly. That being said, the adjustments that can be achieved with the OEM narrowband O2 will likely have limits and not be all that accurate or precise.

2. Opening up the airbox will almost certainly increase engine noise and will likely produce a more throaty sound. Ever open up the clips on a stock cars airbox and go for a ride? With the box open, it immediately sounds throatier. Same applies here.

3. Should you do it? I went into this thread expecting that I would go home this weekend and modify the airbox. After reading it, I have decided againts it.

My bike is already loud enough and sounds great with the 2Bros slip on system, so noise is not an issue for me. As far as potential power gained, I dont think the relatively small amout of power I could gain is worth the risk of running TOO lean. Although I doubt this would happen, there have been no real tests done on the FZ as far as I can tell so its not worth the risk.

For a bike that I use as a daily commutter and a weekend warrior, I would say the potential gains are outweighed by the potential costs. I also ride in the rain often and dont like the idea that water could be more easily introduced into the intake system with the snorkel removed. Noone else seemed to mention this before.

K, I'm done :p

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..just read this entire thread and can honestly say that the verdict is still out on this mod.

I also ride in the rain often and dont like the idea that water could be more easily introduced into the intake system with the snorkel removed. Noone else seemed to mention this before.

K, I'm done :p

I feel your first statement is fair, I have done the mod on my bike and if I were to do it again I think I would because of my own reasons.

To your last statement, I've ridden in the rain and never have had an issue with this. It is an interesting point to bring up though.

I personally did it because I fond a mouse nest in my air box after a winter of storing it. The bike was in my garage and also had a cover on it. when I did the mod, I first replaced the filter with a K&N filter, I took the old filter and cut the metal screen off and used that to cover the whole I cut in the air box. I used JB Weld to secure the screen down so I should not have the issue of a mouse building a nest in my air box again.

I also have not changed out the stock exhaust so I did enjoy the sound more when riding.

In the end it's your bike and your choice on what you want to do with it.

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my experience in engine mods is on cars as well. Usually when you make mods to the intake, the mass air sensor is able to detect the additional airflow and adjust accordingly (as long as the mass air housing is not modified, which would distort the readings). Thus mods to the intake tract upstream of the MAF usually have no effect on A/F.

Does the FZ6 have a mass air sensor that would do the same thing?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my experience in engine mods is on cars as well. Usually when you make mods to the intake, the mass air sensor is able to detect the additional airflow and adjust accordingly (as long as the mass air housing is not modified, which would distort the readings). Thus mods to the intake tract upstream of the MAF usually have no effect on A/F.

Does the FZ6 have a mass air sensor that would do the same thing?

It is my understanding that the FZ has a MAP (mass air pressure) sensor that works in conjunction with the O2 sensor as well as the IAT (intake air temp) sensor.

A MAP sensor is not nearly as effective in manipulating the A/F ratio based on air flow changes.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All.

Well as i have done this mod (and i took my mod to the max, cutting out a triangle shaped piece of the box which was as large as i could take without hacking into the sealed edge) and my conclusion is that this mod gives u 3 changes.

1. the bike will TOTALLY bog down when revved while DEAD cold. i mean like almost stall. it was quite concerning when i first discovered this but nobody should be revving a bike when its dead cold anyway

2. noticeably louder (and deeper) induction noise. especially when you short shift and crack the throttle wide open. the noise is directly related to the throttle/butterfly position and will not make any difference to the overrun (when the throttle is closed)

3. mild increase in mid-top end power although i have not had this on a dyno it is something you can feel. you also notice the revs building up faster after you pass 5k or so which suggests slightly more power.

hope this has proved insightful for someone

HeatH

Edit: Attached an image showing my (rather clandestine) mod
Worth mentioning that this is an old pic and i now have a K&N and Akrapovic (Cat removed) system

Last edited:

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All.

Well as i have done this mod (and i took my mod to the max, cutting out a triangle shaped piece of the box which was as large as i could take without hacking into the sealed edge) and my conclusion is that this mod gives u 3 changes.

1. the bike will TOTALLY bog down when revved while DEAD cold. i mean like almost stall. it was quite concerning when i first discovered this but nobody should be revving a bike when its dead cold anyway

2. noticeably louder (and deeper) induction noise. especially when you short shift and crack the throttle wide open. the noise is directly related to the throttle/butterfly position and will not make any difference to the overrun (when the throttle is closed)

3. mild increase in mid-top end power although i have not had this on a dyno it is something you can feel. you also notice the revs building up faster after you pass 5k or so which suggests slightly more power.

hope this has proved insightful for someone

HeatH

(1)What is your idle set at?

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to dig up an old thread yet again guys,

Anyone who did the mod and has since replaced their cover, does the cover, 5VX-14421-00-00 come already fitted with the two foam strips on top?

Cheers,

Yamahaboyz

JJS209

Rider / Mechanic
Reaction score
fz6-fazer.gp-bikes.de
i did the airbox-mod today.
also changed the filter to one from k&n.
i did not increase the intake hole itself, i just cutted out the hole snorkel area. not more.

there is clearly a deeper and louder noise of the intaking air when you rev the engine.
also the is a strong increase of deep sound when you accelerate out of low rpm's.

i just did a 25km test run in the city, so i cant say something about the acc to and over 200km/h.
maybe i take her tomorrow to the autobahn, then i will add some more "feeling/personal impression" of me to this.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
i did the airbox-mod today.
also changed the filter to one from k&n.
i did not increase the intake hole itself, i just cutted out the hole snorkel area. not more.

there is clearly a deeper and louder noise of the intaking air when you rev the engine.
also the is a strong increase of deep sound when you accelerate out of low rpm's.

i just did a 25km test run in the city, so i cant say something about the acc to and over 200km/h.
maybe i take her tomorrow to the autobahn, then i will add some more "feeling/personal impression" of me to this.

Don't expect something too much. I did the mod (cut the snorkell from inside) and nothing happens. Just engine sound and buzzing engine noise. I'll make plastic welding to revert this mod soon.

JJS209

Rider / Mechanic
Reaction score
fz6-fazer.gp-bikes.de
took her today for another ride, no autobahn only normal roads on the countryside. so, no highspeed-difference test.
there is still the impression of more mid-range power for me.

ozgurakman, dont know why the result for you leads to a buzzing engine noise.
mine now sounds deeper and the airintakesound is more present now.
these new varietys of sounds i am talking abount are coming direktly from where the airbox (between tank and steering head).

i also think that the throttle responses a little bit quicker after the MOD, but i am not sure about that. but maybe that is just a subjective sentiency.

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
took her today for another ride, no autobahn only normal roads on the countryside. so, no highspeed-difference test.
there is still the impression of more mid-range power for me.

ozgurakman, dont know why the result for you leads to a buzzing engine noise.
mine now sounds deeper and the airintakesound is more present now.
these new varietys of sounds i am talking abount are coming direktly from where the airbox (between tank and steering head).

i also think that the throttle responses a little bit quicker after the MOD, but i am not sure about that. but maybe that is just a subjective sentiency.

Hi. I've used to use K&N filter but after cutting, I replaced with oem filter because of too much engine sound (in my option). My bike has a pair of Leo Vince exhausts and with a filter box mod, engine sound is extreme to my ears. Engine noise is like high pitching sound after 5k, maybe because of it's too loud to hear I don't know the certain reason...

I'm happy with just exhaust noise.

If you want to a crisp throttle, you would use K&N air filter or make a huge cutting on air box with oem filter but I don't recommend cutting to a rider who is living in Germany because of rainy weather along all year.
Also I'm sure, engine output will decrease.

3617025832_ba2deb417b_b.jpg

Attachments

• 9b0ad7d1bcb456e4c333362920cbf522.jpg
    9b0ad7d1bcb456e4c333362920cbf522.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I've used to use K&N filter but after cutting, I replaced with oem filter because of too much engine sound (in my option). My bike has a pair of Leo Vince exhausts and with a filter box mod, engine sound is extreme to my ears. Engine noise is like high pitching sound after 5k, maybe because of it's too loud to hear I don't know the certain reason...

I'm happy with just exhaust noise.

If you want to a crisp throttle, you would use K&N air filter or make a huge cutting on air box with oem filter but I don't recommend cutting to a rider who is living in Germany because of rainy weather along all year.
Also I'm sure, engine output will decrease.

View attachment 65872

Awesome reply. That newspaper article is really useful. I'm someone else who did this to increase engine noise and reduce the whine and reversed it because it was too loud. I posted videos of the difference in my site link below if anyone's interested.