My Airbox Mod

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright I decided to go and cut up my airbox!!! Here's what I did.

1. Remove seat and remove lower tank bolt.

2. Remove upper two tank bolts and suspend tank. (I used bungee cords from the upper bracket on the tank to the back of the rear grab bars.)

*It is also a good idea to not have too much fuel in the tank as this will cause unnecessary problems. Also, dont pull the tank back too far or you could risk pulling off the fuel line or the sender.

3. Remove the six screws in holding the top of the airbox and pull it off.

4. Pull the filter out, its in there pretty tight.
(heres the fun part.)
5. I used a small cut-off wheel to do this project. When you are looking inside the airbox there is an inlet that angles in. I cut the small plate on the front of it off.

6. Looking at the airbox from the front on top, I cut the front half of the inlet out to open things up. What you are left with is a pretty large opening for air to flow freely.

7. Clean things up and put everything back together. Make sure there are no plastic shavings in the airbox, especially above the intake, this might cause some problems.

RESULTS... I am happy with this mod. As soon as I started the bike I noticed a deeper tone. On my test run it first ran sluggish at low rpm's. Once the bike warmed up and things adjusted it began running more smoothly.

It has a throatier and overall healthier tone though the revs. I noticed a small increase in power in midrange and little to no change up top. Definitely sounds better!!!

Good luck and clear roads.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's almost exactly what I did last weekend. Those could have almost been pics of mine. Great job! Thanks for posting this!

Hey Reiobard! Here's the pics! :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's almost exactly what I did last weekend. Those could have almost been pics of mine. Great job! Thanks for posting this!

Hey Reiobard! Here's the pics! :D

It is on my Saturday hope to do list, the to do list needs to come first :thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I know there have been some concerns expressed about this mod in the past. Would doing the 'unhook the battery to reset the mapping' trick help after this mod?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there have been some concerns expressed about this mod in the past. Would doing the 'unhook the battery to reset the mapping' trick help after this mod?

Good point! :thumbup: I think this only would apply to the '07 and newer because pre-'07 doesn't have an O2 sensor thus the bikes cannot learn. The older ones have a set spec in the map. :(

Thus far, I've not seen any adverse effect from the mod and have a sense of marked improvement. I may try to reset to see if there is any difference but I'd be disappointed if it has a negative effect and I cannot go back.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point! :thumbup: I think this only would apply to the '07 and newer because pre-'07 doesn't have an O2 sensor thus the bikes cannot learn. The older ones have a set spec in the map. :(

Thus far, I've not seen any adverse effect from the mod and have a sense of marked improvement. I may try to reset to see if there is any difference but I'd be disappointed if it has a negative effect and I cannot go back.

See, '07s and '08s blue ones are not only faster, but they are smarter too! ;)

Last edited:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be riding it here shortly so I'll let you know how it runs. I'm hoping the computer adjusts and she holds the front end up through 5th gear!! HA JK.:D

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you glad to see not everyone takes notice to what people say to me, i did this ages ago and sure reckon it made a good differance.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did this mod yesterday but haven't really had a chance to test it out, the intake sounds is definitely louder and more pronounced, but i haven't had the chance to ride it at all to get a full rundown.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 and i have been toying with doing this mod for a while. Just put a BMC Air filter on, and am planning to get a Power Commander in the next week or two, so will wait till then, and get the bike dynotuned after just to be sure.

Thanks FZ6inNH for the heads up re the pre 07 FZ's not having an O2 censor, has just further reinforced my view that with any breathing related mods on a fz6, especially pre 07 bikes, as you have just illustrated, should be done in conjunction with installation of a PC111 to get the best results from breathing mods you do, and hence optimized performance for the bike.

Nice pics too lattin25, shows very well what to do.

Cheers.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Whats the unhook the battery trick?

On '07 and '08 bikes there's an O2 sensor in the exhaust. Once you do mods that change the intake if you unhook one of the battery terminals it will force the bike to create a new map. Allegedly it might help so you wouldn't necessarily need to get a PCIII and dyno time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the jury is still out on whether i does a lot or not.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
On '07 and '08 bikes there's an O2 sensor in the exhaust. Once you do mods that change the intake if you unhook one of the battery terminals it will force the bike to create a new map. Allegedly it might help so you wouldn't necessarily need to get a PCIII and dyno time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the jury is still out on whether i does a lot or not.

So I guess does it make remap it so its not so lean?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i just copied this mod exactly today on my 06 fz6n, whilst also putting in a BMC Hi Po air filter...did not bother disconnecting battery, as no 02 censor on 06 bike.

This Mod works, thanks heaps, now have a lovely raucous induction "roar", crisper pick up, and it feels like a couple more horses at least.

Pic's in Australia section of both Airbox & Air Filter if anyone is interested.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/australia/7129-new-bmc-air-filter-airbox-mod.html#post83846

:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't done the ECU reset, just modded it and drove. I did 240 miles Sunday without any issues. I've yet to find any confirmation on the battery-disconnect reset but I may do it regardless and see if there's any difference. I'm guessing no performance difference but perhaps a better fuel efficiency?

I did notice it take a little more RPM for a hole-shot though. Seems it helps everything above 10 mph but hurts a standing start without a lot of throttle. All in all, I do like it better this way though. :thumbup: Worth a try when the replacement cover is that cheap!

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: Alright guys I've been riding it around for a few days and am very happy with the results. I unhooked the battery to check out the battery and make sure everything was clean and good to go, not even thinking it might reset anything. So I put everything back together and turned it on and noticed my trip meter and clock were reset. I thought... hmm I wonder if it reset the mapping.

So I fired it up and after riding it around I think it did reset the map, it seems to run smoother in the low end. When I first did this mod if you snapped the throttle from idle it sounded really loaded up and didnt want to rev. After I unhooked the battery it seems to rev up smoother and not load up like it did before.

Also, I believe the 07's and 08's have sensors in the intake as well as the o2 sensor. This adjusts the mapping according to amount of air intake I believe.

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
i read on here from when someone dynoed their bike it was running rich from the factory. He tuned it with, i think a pc3, but i know that he said that the 0-7000 rpm was a closed loop so he couldnt adjust it with the pc3, and i dont remember what year it was either, but i just wanted to say that if it leans it out then it would probably increase mpg and should slightly increase the lower end pick up. this is my 2cents.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i read on here from when someone dynoed their bike it was running rich from the factory. He tuned it with, i think a pc3, but i know that he said that the 0-7000 rpm was a closed loop so he couldnt adjust it with the pc3, and i dont remember what year it was either, but i just wanted to say that if it leans it out then it would probably increase mpg and should slightly increase the lower end pick up. this is my 2cents.

That would be me, bike is an '07. The system is closed loop from 0 to 7000 rpm, at 0 to 10% throttle opening, 10.000001% and up it is not closed loop, tune away. The bikes are fat from the factory.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO this mod is not worth the trouble. The trottle is somewhat more resposive in the midrange, but that is about all I noticed. What I didn't like was the noise it makes and mainly the vibration it tranfers into the gas tank. The growl it makes in the mid rpm is too loud. I think it must mess with the vacuum too because my throttle was very snatchy in the upper rpm range. Get off the throttle and when you get back on it snaps back on.

I reversed this mod yesterday to the best of my ability and am very happy I did.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how much HP you increased with this mod, imagine a K&N air filter in place along with this mod.......things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm