My Airbox Mod

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO this mod is not worth the trouble. The trottle is somewhat more resposive in the midrange, but that is about all I noticed. What I didn't like was the noise it makes and mainly the vibration it tranfers into the gas tank. The growl it makes in the mid rpm is too loud. I think it must mess with the vacuum too because my throttle was very snatchy in the upper rpm range. Get off the throttle and when you get back on it snaps back on.

I reversed this mod yesterday to the best of my ability and am very happy I did.

My modded cover did nothing to increase vibrations... sound yes, but I like the throaty sound it makes now. I like the snappy throttle too. :thumbup: I like to know the throttle is "right there" when I need it on the slab.

Did you cut off more? Less? or about the same as what lattin25 did here? Thanks!

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
My modded cover did nothing to increase vibrations... sound yes, but I like the throaty sound it makes now. I like the snappy throttle too. :thumbup: I like to know the throttle is "right there" when I need it on the slab.

Did you cut off more? Less? or about the same as what lattin25 did here? Thanks!

Almost exactly the same as lattin25.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Already posted my copied mod from Lattin25. But i must say i am loving the new noises coming from under my tank, no vibration here...was initially for a day or so, but now it has dissapeared.

Great Mod, and it's free!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Then only problem I would have with this mod is that it has got to void your warrenty...and with an 07 bike i have warrenty until 09...but would still be interested in doing this mod if it really was worth the while.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Then only problem I would have with this mod is that it has got to void your warrenty...and with an 07 bike i have warrenty until 09...but would still be interested in doing this mod if it really was worth the while.

Well, the good news is a new airbox cover is only $9.05 + shipping from Ron Ayers so it's cheap enough to have the spare and put it on when you take it in for service. :thumpup:

*EDIT* Oh yeah... and $0.79 for the two foam strips to stick to the top. :D

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how much HP you increased with this mod, imagine a K&N air filter in place along with this mod.......things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

I would say the HP gains were minimal. I think with a K&N you might gain a little more. I'm planning on getting one soon so I'll let you guys know what it does.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the HP gains were minimal. I think with a K&N you might gain a little more. I'm planning on getting one soon so I'll let you guys know what it does.

Ok when i get my bike Dynotuned on Friday this week, i am pretty friendly with the guy doing it so he is going to give me the following maps.

1. Standard Airbox,OEM filter, De-Baffled Exhaust
2. Modded Airbox, OEM Filter, De-Baffled Exhaust
3. Modded Airbox, BMC filter, De-Baffled Exhaust
4. Modded Airbox, BMC Filter, De-Baffled Exhaust, PCIII

Now that should at least give some ball park figures as to performance gains associated with various combinations. :Flash:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok when i get my bike Dynotuned on Friday this week, i am pretty friendly with the guy doing it so he is going to give me the following maps.

Now that should at least give some ball park figures as to performance gains associated with various combinations. :Flash:

Awesome sounds good. I'm craving a PCIII now. Especially if you get some power out of it!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

For those of you who were interested in my results go to this link

http://www.600riders.com/forum/aust...-commander-installed-dynotuned.html#post88359

Only one we did not do, was standard airbox, OEM Filter, de-baffled exhaust.

:Flash:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks wolfman! Looks like I'll be getting a PCIII now! thanks... another 300 bucks then more for tuning... jeez. all in the name of fuel mileage right???;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks wolfman! Looks like I'll be getting a PCIII now! thanks... another 300 bucks then more for tuning... jeez. all in the name of fuel mileage right???;)

Yeah right! But it's a good excuse to give the lady of your life to justify your purchase!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a quick update: After getting less than best MPG after doing this mod, and because the '08 is an O2 sensor fast learner, I decided to undo the battery to reset the computer. I left it disconnected for about 45 minutes as I was busy with other things.

After connecting and torquing all things back in place, the very first thing I noticed after starting the bike was the difference in exhaust smell. Prior to this reset the exhaust always smelled heavy with excess fuel and as we know, the bike does run rather rich when she is stock. After the reset, the exhaust smells MUCH cleaner, I'm talking VERY noticable difference here. So, I'm curious about the next few tanks of fuel with regards to MPG. More to come but I can already tell there's a difference.

So, to those who do the mod, please undo the battery while you're modding, thus when you put it all back together, you've got a new learned map with the added air flow! :thumbup:

Last note, make sure you know how to set the time on your clock and note your tripmeter if you use that between fillups because that is also reset. :D