My Version of the Airbox Mod to my '08

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, hiway and (some of) the Yamaha techs have it right. We can argue theory all day long, the proof of the effectiveness of this mod will make itself clear once we get a good wideband reading.
There are just too many variables to "know" what the result is. And to throw another wrench in that, the readings will also only be specific to HIS bike, since it will also have its own set of variables.
Air velocity, density, temperature, atmospheric pressure, flow pattern, motor build tolerances, break-in procedure, humidity, load, and ambient temperature will all (among other factors I'm sure I'm forgetting) effect the outcome. So, the tech who said each bike will react differently and you need to monitor your own to properly judge the safety of the mod, I think, had it right. Sorry, there is no easy answer.

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What they were forgetting was Bernoulli's principle. In fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle states that for an inviscid flow, an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy. :D

So any suggestion using Bernoodle's principle to improve performance, or just leave it alone?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is like the 5th thread on this mod I've read. I thought this was going to be the definitive one, but haven't seen any of the purported dyno testing results posted as promised.

Has the riddle (hypothesis) finally been solved (tested), or is this one still being debated?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
This is like the 5th thread on this mod I've read. I thought this was going to be the definitive one, but haven't seen any of the purported dyno testing results posted as promised.

Has the riddle (hypothesis) finally been solved (tested), or is this one still being debated?
Who promised dyno results? Not me! :) I'd be interested though. :thumbup:

I've seen nothing but positive results from it though, except for one. Now I've installed my decat pipe, the bike idles too high until the engine is up to temp. It's at 1500rpm for 2-3 mins until the temperature guage displays 40 instead of lo. Then it drops to about 1100rpm and is smooth. I tried unplugging the battery again, but it didn't help. If I cared about this, I'd drop a few hundred on a power commander. But I don't! :spank:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm in the middle of getting a wideband setup with an egt probe as well. i'm going to use it for everything and anything but i will use it to datalog the differences between these mods and others. probably wont be for a month at least though since i have one usable arm from surgery

This is what I was getting excited about!

But......if I end up with this bike we have a dyno facility here and will do it.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I was getting excited about!

But......if I end up with this bike we have a dyno facility here and will do it.

This is my first season of riding since the surgery. Wideband is still in the mix. But I'm now in the process of acquiring some commercial work space with a buddy. So I may have less time for my own projects. If it happens you'll all know.