Airbox mod

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Could someone please explain in basic terms what this mod does ??

I understand it gives you a HP or 2 extra but how ?? Also with an aftermarket exhaust system would you still opt for this mod aswell ??

Please keep it simple for a simple mind :)

:eek:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Really basic, is more air is good, same as putting a pod filter on a car, or a k/n racing element in a car as i have, the more air o can supply the more fuel you can burn, more fuel/air more power. Or ride sensibly better fuel consumption its all about good flow.

W

wrightme43

Ok your PhatDoggy on SBN.

I want to throw something out to you about this.
I am not going to mod my airbox.

Our bike does have a 02 sensor. The ECU has to use the info the O2 sensor provides to adjust A/f other wise there is no point in having the sensor. The only way to adjust them amount of O2 in the exhaust system is to adjust the ratio of O2 to Fuel in the burn. It reads the amount results of A/f and adjusts for it.
It has to. Otherwise the bike would have trouble riding in death valley, and then going up into the rockies. The O2 level in those two places are signifigantly different.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I can tell the O2 sensors are on the 07 bikes, not anything older.

Okay, just did a check on the service manual,
the sensors are
Throttle Position Sensor
Intake air pressure sensor
Intake air temperature sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Coolant temperature sensor

The R6's have 2 more sensors than the FZ6's, an O2 sensor being one of them. This is a very basic system with a basic map to the ECU, it doesn't look like it can compensate for the added air flow. If there are any performance gains, me guess would be from not being so restricted, you will probably lose felt back pressure, and a loss of engine braking.

In talking to a tech friend, he told me that even if you change to a K&N air filter you will need a Power Commander to compensate.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

The oxygen sensor is positioned in the exhaust pipe and can detect rich and lean mixtures. The mechanism in most sensors involves a chemical reaction that generates a voltage (see the patents below for details). The engine's computer looks at the voltage to determine if the mixture is rich or lean, and adjusts the amount of fuel entering the engine accordingly.

The reason why the engine needs the oxygen sensor is because the amount of oxygen that the engine can pull in depends on all sorts of things, such as the altitude, the temperature of the air, the temperature of the engine, the barometric pressure, the load on the engine, etc.

Above is quote from another site.
My bike does have a o2 sensor. Like I said I wont modify the airbox, but the ECU does have the ability to modify the fuel map.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I just figured this out. Wright, (for everyone else's benefit) your bike is an 07 with an O2 sensor. The 06's and before are not equipped with these, I pulled that list of sensors from the service manual, Chapter 7 "Fuel injection System". An 07 might be okay with this mod, you may be able to change the exhaust system and still be alright, but an older bike cannot adjust for the changes in airflow.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok your PhatDoggy on SBN.

If you were talking to me, no, I'm DefyInertia on SBN.

I just posted that link because I thought it was interesting. I don't know a whole lot about EFI, airbox mods, or any of that other than that you have to keep your ratio within a range.
________
SEXYCHICK22 LIVE

Last edited:

PhatDoggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm PhatDoggy on SBN, and everywhere else too. :) DefyInertia and I simply have good taste.

So you've figured it out. '07 is the first year for O2 sensors on the FZ6. The prior years have a much more basic FI algorithm.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to repeat something so people are clear.

I rode up with wavex from H.B./L.B. all the way up to Hwy 33 andHwy 166, cruising around getting there, while there, and afterward with some FZ6 guys here. We went to Solvang, hit a few twists on the way there. All that time I had my airbox taped up like stock. We rode back to Oxnard and pulled over. While there, I asked him if he'd mind if I took my airbox covering off. He didn't so I did.

1. We noticed a serious tone difference right away, especially after revving but even at idle.

2. I felt a major torque gain.

Yes, its just 'feel' but I would think that after riding for nearly 6 hours straight, I'd notice a major difference in my bike. I did.

from what I read at SBN and its many threads about the CO2 adjustments and airbox mod, I'm convinced there's plenty of fuel above 6k rpm. the power commander, in the california version, doesn't adjust under 6k rpms.
BTW, my bike is silver!
I'm so sorry :(

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The basic information the efi system needs is airflow to throttle position to adjust fuel. If the throttle is wide open and not much airflow the system detects(assumes) full load as if going up hill and adjusts moderately. If it senses wide open throttle and lots of air it knows(assumes depending on map) going flat out on freeway and gives as much fuel as possible because it knows it wont flood it. This atmosphere senser is also as a map senser (manifold absolute pressure) senser, other styles are the hot wire, the flap air flow meter, the flap airflow meter with a bap senser (barometeric absolute senser). All of these things have one job how much air is coming into the engine. The o2 sensor does help immensly in a/f ratios but the main reason for o2 sensers is emission control. there are still cars being sold without o2 sensers today. A pc would definately be a advantage to be able to better tune the bike to mods but the bike will sense and do a certain amount of changes itself to its capabilities.

W

wrightme43

Wooo!!!!
Time for Dyno runs.

If on the 07 back to back dynos show more torque that would be cool. I generally leave stuff alone, unless I am putting on better parts, that will also let me remove and replace the stock when it is time to sell.

If there is a big jump with the box mod, someone will thermoform a new high flow lid. Show that it ads power, and make a bunch of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The basic information the efi system needs is airflow to throttle position to adjust fuel. If the throttle is wide open and not much airflow the system detects(assumes) full load as if going up hill and adjusts moderately. If it senses wide open throttle and lots of air it knows(assumes depending on map) going flat out on freeway and gives as much fuel as possible because it knows it wont flood it. This atmosphere senser is also as a map senser (manifold absolute pressure) senser, other styles are the hot wire, the flap air flow meter, the flap airflow meter with a bap senser (barometeric absolute senser). All of these things have one job how much air is coming into the engine. The o2 sensor does help immensly in a/f ratios but the main reason for o2 sensers is emission control. there are still cars being sold without o2 sensers today. A pc would definately be a advantage to be able to better tune the bike to mods but the bike will sense and do a certain amount of changes itself to its capabilities.
Aussiejules, have you got the 07 model or 06 model?

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
is it safe to say then that with the 07 air flow metering that a non stock air filter and/or exhaust would be 'adjusted' for by ecu?

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
is it safe to say then that with the 07 air flow metering that a non stock air filter and/or exhaust would be 'adjusted' for by ecu?

I would guess within limits, and they are correct about the WOT situation, the ECU just switches to an open circuit and pretty much dumps fuel.

What a Power Commander does is adjusts the injector pulse length and width, allowing for more tuneability. This is how it brings out the mid-range torque.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Wooo!!!!
Time for Dyno runs.

If on the 07 back to back dynos show more torque that would be cool. I generally leave stuff alone, unless I am putting on better parts, that will also let me remove and replace the stock when it is time to sell.

If there is a big jump with the box mod, someone will thermoform a new high flow lid. Show that it ads power, and make a bunch of money.

So why don't you do it?:D You could be the first one to come up with the idea.:thumbup: