My results and review with Airbox mod

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Today on my 15min coffee I randomly decided to try out the Airbox Mod. I did it a little different though.

I did like the way the airflow was directed with the snorkel so I didnt want to remove it, so I cut away the same as everyone on the outside, but on the inside I left the bottom of the curved part intact and cut higher into the box rather than down lower.

Also, having had huge success on my VW with this, I shaved all the "fins" off that are on the top of the box as they provide a very erratic type of airflow and create pockets of different pressures. Needless to say, this will always have negative effects with swirling air right in front of the filter (less air able to force its way through) After cutting I die grinded it smoother, and then attacked all my gashes with some 120, then 220, then 400 grit paper and made everything super smooth and rounded (especially along the opening edge) Better airflow over a smooth round edge and no debris left hanging to fly around at a later time.

spray bombed it satin black to cover the visible scratches and reattached.

First impressions: WOW

I work in an autobody shop and everyone is a car enthusiast. When I started it up everyone looked up and comented about how much better it sounds. its THAT noticeable. At idle it is much deeper and less weak sounding.
Under load at low rpms it has a VERY low tone to it and returns mostly to normal at the 9k range.
Its quite a bit deeper across the entire range though, just most noticeable under 9k.

Performance? Didnt notice any
Bang for buck? 10/10. For 15 mins total time start to finish I would say this should be done while your changing your oil after the first 20km break-in. Otherwise on delivery.

Keep in mind, its nowhere near new cans or any exhaust system work. And im not claiming it turned into a V-twin. But it is noticeably deeper (read: lower, not louder) and sounds WAYYYYY better than stock. Also the high pitch squeel at high speed freeway jaunts has disappeared.

Just thought id share for anyone who is pondering this as I was and couldnt find any real good posts reviewing the airbox mod in search.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard about this mod... :D

15 min to lift the tank, remove the cover, figure out the perfect shape, cut, sand, and reinstall everything is a nice time tho :thumbup: