Sticker removal

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A hair dryer works wonders for sticker removal. Just heat it up and peel it off. I use some alcohol to get the little bit of sticky left off. :thumbup: :rockon:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend just told me that WD40 would do the job... any advances on that ?

:)

I have used WD-40 on various bikes with great success. I suggest you warm up the area with a hair-dyer on high heat for 15-25 seconds at least. Then spray on WD40...wait a minute then slowly life up at the corner with a thin plastic edge...like an old credit card. If it still is slow in coming off, warm up the area again and spray more WD40. It will come off.

After completed, you might try your favorite car wax over the new bare area to remove any minor residue and protect the clear coat.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the hair dryer worked well for me. that glue is certainly stubborn and the sticker is thin and wants to break. took a bit of work but the heat helped it for sure. wd40 type spray made getting the adhesive residue off a sinch.

flash89

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone got any ideas on how to get stickers off the tank without scratching it ?? I have an awful dealer sticker warning you to read the instruction manual before riding ... Ok I have done that so I want the notice off lol

I tried peeling it off from a corner but it just pulled a plastic type coating off :(

Any tried and tested products to get rid of this folks ?

:confused:

Kinda reviving this thread but I thought I would share what worked for me.

I read this entire thread before I started, so I decided to try as many different ideas as I could, until I ran out of stickers anyway. :). Here is my experience and what worked best.

All the stickers had two parts a paper sticker directly attached to the metal and a clear coating over top. The best way to remove a sticker is to keep the sticker in one piece and remove both layers at once. I used an old credit card on a warmed up sticker and that worked worked best. I did not try any other type of scraper. I used a blow dryer over the sticker for about 30 seconds and that worked just as well as holding the dryer over the sticker while I scraped it, which was quite harder to do and it was uncomfortable.

If you start noticing the clear coating peeling away and leaving the paper behind. STOP, go back and try getting under both layers again.
If they come apart the second layer is difficult to remove with pretty much any method I tried.

Try to get 1/4 inch or so up the entire width of the sticker and then use your hands slowly to peel the sticker up keeping the peeling even the entire width of the sticker.
I actually got the tire pressure sticker off in one entire piece in about a minute using this method.

I tried 3 different chemicals to remove the reside.

I used only microfiber cloths.

WD40 was the worst performing, it worked but I had to let it sit for a few minutes and I had to apply several coatings.
Some generic orange cleaner from Harbor freight did only slightly better.
A product called "Goof Off" I got a wall-mart was the best. And I mean the BEST. This stuff is safe on paint and it took the reside off instantly with no effort at all, I just wiped the cloth over it and it was gone.

I used a quick detailer spray to clean the chemicals off, and everything looked good as new.

Whole process for all stickers on the bike took about 30 minutes.
If I had another bike to try it on now that I know what works, I think I could do it in about 15 minutes.