Gas tank and back seat baked on sticker removal

Jakib2

Reaction score
Visit site
Just recently trade my 93 Virago for a 2005 FZ6. Previous owner was a little rough on her but I'm doing my best to get her back to normal.

The previous owner put on these tribal stickers that I'm sure have been on the bike for forever. I really wanted them removed.

I live in Arizona so the hard sun has baked them on the bike for years I'm assuming.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have suggestions on getting them off without taking up some paint, which I already have done, and removing most of the shadow or leftovers from the sticker?

I've tried Goo Gone, heating with a heat gun and hair blow dryer, and soaking them in water/soap over night. Right now I've been furiously rubbing in some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound into the spots hopping to eventually wear down the sticker to the paint. Has anyone had any success with any of these methods?

I got one off the windscreen and am now working on the one on the front tire fender, leaving the most visible spots till I find the best way to get them off.

Here's what I have left:

Thanks for the help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not everyone will agree but ive always used and will continue to use a straight edge razor. You simply lay it down so low it can't get to the paint. When i say low, I'm talking start at the height of a few coins laying flat. Only use NEW blades and when the angle is right, you leave only a thin layer of adhesive behind. Then isopropyle alcohol to remove the adhesive.
There are other ways, but this works for me.
To clean remove swirl marks, i use The Wax Shop, Safe Cut swirl and haze remover. Works on plastic like the fly screen and instrument cluster too. Its great stuff. To make the finish last, gou must wax it with a good quality wax.
Good luck!

Jakib2

Reaction score
Visit site
Great! Thanks for the response. I found the The Wax Shop, Safe Cut swirl and haze remover on their website but couldn't find any local store that would have it in stock.

Any idea if walmart/home depot/loews would carry it?

I attempted using a flat razor on the back seat part and chipped bunch of the paint off. do you suggest heating or soaking the sticker in anything before attempting the razor?

Thanks again.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
This stuff will eat a sticker right up as well:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Homax-1647-Goo-Gone/dp/B0038BGMN2]Amazon.com - Goo Gone -[/ame]

They also have a sticker lifter version of it but I've never tried it. Home Depot definitely carries it -- it comes in a clear bottle (looks orange, product is orange-ish color).

I would immediately re-wax any area you decide to attempt using goo gone on though, just to reprotect the clear coat.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great! Thanks for the response. I found the The Wax Shop, Safe Cut swirl and haze remover on their website but couldn't find any local store that would have it in stock.

Any idea if walmart/home depot/loews would carry it?

I attempted using a flat razor on the back seat part and chipped bunch of the paint off. do you suggest heating or soaking the sticker in anything before attempting the razor?

Thanks again.

Also found it on Amazon just a moment ago ^^, but check an automotive refinish supplier. Very likely they would have it.

As for the blade, heat does help even on the dried ones, but the NEW blade and very low angle prevent surface damage. A used blade with a tiny nick in it will tear up the paint fast so, don't use a used blade. Also, don't rush it. Just slow and easy....

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't trust your hand with a razorblade but can lift an edge up, use ultra fine fishing line like a cheese cutter to get the top 'plasticy' part of the sticker off. Goo Gone will dissolve the actual glue but it can also dissolve paint and clear coat so use Olive Oil.

You can then use polishes or cutting creme's if needed. Personally, I use Farecla, their G3, G4 and G10 are the best polishes out there. If you just need to get a nice gloss then use Ice spray wax or something similar.