The Story of My First Crash 12-2-2012

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a beautiful Sunday on December 2nd, 2012. I had went out for a ride with a few friends up AZ state route 88. We had made it past Tortilla Flat, AZ to point where it becomes dirt road. On the way back down we stopped in Tortilla Flat for a bowl of their famous chili. It was just starting to get dark so we began to head back up the hill. Temperature was a crisp 55ish degrees.

View attachment 45848

As we started our trek back up the side of the hill we were on the side of the road that was exposed to the how to say open air, or cliff side. About 1/4 mile in I felt my rear tire give way a little coming out of a corner. I made a conscious decision to slow down and go at or below the speed limit 25 from there on out. About another 1/4 mile up the road I began to enter a sharp left sweeping curve at about 25-20 mph. About mid curve the road had the asphalt worn away to concrete and it was directly in my line. The patch of worn away road was to wide to swerve wide and if I had leaned in sharper it would have put me at an odd angle engaging the uneven surface. So, I decided to stay the course and aim right through the middle off the patch. As I was hitting the apex of the curve and starting to roll on the back tire hit a patch of loose road/gravel and skipped out about a foot, maybe a foot and a half. When the back tire grabbed it basically stood me up (reminded me of riding bmx as a kid and skidding the backtire to a semi stop and popping up and riding again). I was now aimed dead straight at the edge of a cliff bout 20-30 feet in front of me. I immediately let off the throttle and attempted to lean back in. I was able to ride the white line for a second but as there was no real shoulder and I couldn't adjust and lean in hard enough at the speed of now 10ish mph for fear of automatically landing on my side the front tire grabbed the side and pulled me off the road. I immediately grabbed the front brake and hit the rear (i'm not sure of this but the skid mark in gravel suggested it). As the bike was now within a foot maybe two of a 100-150 foot embankement/cliff. I leaned as hard as I could into the hillside. Thank god the bike fairing and left fork snagged into a bush bringing the bike to a dead stop. I was propelled over the handlebars head first into a bush (I believe sage now that I think about it but I thought mesquite at first but it wasn't a tree). The bush seemed to slow my face down and I think I was still hanging on to the bike so my feet began to go over the top. As I was in mid air over the bike I was in a matrix direct view down at my new MRA vario windshield snapping in half by a tree/bush branch. I believe my left hand was still holding on to the bike at this point so it whipped me left shoulder/head first down into the ground. I remember my helmet smacking the ground as I'm now looking at my front end upside down. Immediately I roll over and check to make sure the bike is not going the rest of the way off the cliff. There is maybe a foot or 2 at the most from where me and the bike came to rest and the road grading rock ended and the sharp decline began.

View attachment 45851

My friends then came up behind me and pulled over to see if I was ok. We figured out how to reset the bike and get it started (I honestly never thought I would have to use that procedure after reading the manual when I first got the bike). I had to have one friend hold on to the passenger bars and help push down/pull forward the bike as I walked it back up onto the road. I called my insurance and let them know I was in an accident, etc. My friends and I had to bend the frame for the fairing out of the way of the control as it was pushed all the way back up on to the left controls. We got it so that I could make reasonable left and right turns and set out on our way back home. It seemed that anything over 30mph I felt a little wiggle or like the front end would shoot out from under me. After talking with a few people they thought the forks may be screwed up in the triple tree.

View attachment 45850

I got home safe and the bike goes into the shop tomorrow to start the whole insurance process. I have full coverage including accessory coverage which will include my windscreen, helmet, maybe jacket and bag I was wearing.

As for damage to the motorcycle:
The fairing was all mashed up into the left hand controls. My friends and I had to pull it out of the way to get the bike on the road to get it home. There is a big crack in the left side of the fairing. Windshield is destroyed in half, I just put on a smoke MRA vario touring screen like 5 days ago. Left mirror is gone and the arm is all tweaked up right mirror is cracked. The speedo doesn't sit right in the fairing any more because of tweaking. There is a dent in the radiator where the hose is at on the left side and the plastic cover is cracked. The tank has a little chunk of paint taken out of it but looks okay otherwise. The frame is all scuffed up on the left side. Amazingly the frame slider looks like it hardly got touched. At speed on the freeway home I would get this unexplained wobble every now and then where it just seemed like the bike would get away from me. Thank god it didn't otherwise I would have to explain how it went down twice in one day. My horn no longer works as well. Seat has a huge gouge in it. Right fender has a little scuff in. Front wheel fender (?) is all scuffed up.

View attachment 45849

Honestly I hope they total it, because it was in perfect condition with only 8,500 miles on it. The dealer I go to has a 2009 Black Fz6 with a puig touring windscreen, frame sliders, fork sliders and swing arm spools (if they still have it, it was there on Friday). Basically everything I want. I almost want to pull the new iridum plugs and put in the originals before I take it into the shop, lol

I keep going over the situation in my mind and I really can't come up with much I could have done different. I mean we could have left 30 minutes earlier with a little more light in the sky. But, I think I still would have chosen that same line on the corner and made the same adjustments (my friends had to look closely to find the loose road/gravel but once they did they were amazed they didn't hit it, I was just on a slightly tighter line than they were). I could have gone slower but any slower and wouldn't have felt like i was going at enough speed to sit the suspension down and grip the corner, like they teach at MSF BRC. I think if had waited and ordered the Racetech Springs for my forks I was looking at just the night before the accident it may have helped. But, I just had a good ride the day before through a lot more technically challenging set of twisty's and made it home safe (I'll be posting youtube video of this ride after I finish editing). I probably target fixated as I was trying to slow and keep from going off the edge, but at one point in my memory i remember picking my eyes up from the white line and tryin to look at the middle of the road but it was right about that point that the shoulder grabbed me and took me off the road.

All things considered I am pretty lucky. I'm glad I had made a conscious effort to slow down before that corner or if I was going the slightest bit faster I would have shot off that cliff quicker than I could have reacted and I would not be writing this "close call" story right now and be either dead or laid up in pieces in a hospital. Instead, I've been sore all day and I have some sypmtoms of a post concussion syndrome and a little whiplash (i'm a doctor and have doctor friends so it helps to get immediate advice).

I'm a mix bags of feelings right now. I still have the itch and want to get my bike back on the road:Sport:. I'm still thinking about the mods that I would do to prevent anything like this from happening again (new Racetech fork springs and rear spring/shock, I am 245-250 pounds and the factory is for someone 150). I know that the springs wouldn't have fixed the gravel issue but I know anything that makes me more stable will allow recovery and accomodating obstacles easier. This is now going to take top priority over the desire for TwoBrothers CF exhaust and Power Commander. I am a little mad that such a small thing as a little gravel in the road could mess me up so bad:mad:. I did talk to a friend today that told me the local drift race car drivers like to use that road to train on, so they help rip it up:Flip:. I am worried/anxious about dealing with the insurance and hoping to get my bike as close to the level of awesome it was before:(.

I have been throwing my story in other threads a few times already and sorry for that, if it was out of line. The community support has been awesome and I've never actually bothered to participate in a forum community before.

Thank you everyone, blessings on you and be safe out there.

Last edited:

Wyomedic

Reaction score
Visit site
My first ride on a fz6 was on that road and it will get you if you let it, with the bumpy pavement, rocks and gravel. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, nobody likes to go down, glad you were not seriously hurt. Get back in the saddle!!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your off :( .Hope you get the insurance sorted and that that your whiplash improves.
By the sounds of things you was lucky, take it easy and mend up (whilst your bike's getting fixed up) :thumbup:.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My first ride on a fz6 was on that road and it will get you if you let it, with the bumpy pavement, rocks and gravel. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, nobody likes to go down, glad you were not seriously hurt. Get back in the saddle!!

The frustrating thing is earlier I was hustling and having a blast and still felt safe the whole time. I'll find out this week what's going to happen to the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The frustrating thing is earlier I was hustling and having a blast and still felt safe the whole time. I'll find out this week what's going to happen to the bike.

A close friend of mine who is an EXCELLENT older rider(very, very fast, way faster than myself) and his other buds, go on a Sunday ride weekly out about a year ago. He rode a Concours 1400 (to its limits to give you an idea...)

They ran the normal route they usually do, a couple of twisties (pretty flat) but run the road and the bikes to literally the limit...(I have been invited to go with them however their a bit too aggressive for me and I declined).

Needless to say, going into a known corner at above the speed limit, one rider (again pushing the speed limit), happened to catch just a little bit of dirt on the road and lost it. He died on the scene.

They were all familiar with the road, rode it literally weekly, its out in boonies actually.

Obviously several conditions (as posted above) contributed to this tragedy.

The road is NOT a race track, especially for twisties . Going fast, in a straight line is a whole different ball game vs leaning hard (or not) going into a corner where they MAY BE DIRT/gravel/oil, etc and SHOULD BE EXPECTED and ridden accordingly. If its not there, great, (nice ride), if it is, your adjusting your speed, lean, etc to make up for it and stay on two wheels..

I personally didn't know this fellow rider however it did affect my friend enough, he sold his bike... He did, just recently get a cruiser...

Your lucky your here to tell your story and that's good.... Hopefully you've learned something from it...

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok, that's really the only important thing.

Second is to think about how this accident may have been prevented.

Third is future care. I know you are a physician, but what kind of physician are you? I'm a Physiatrist and work with TBI patients frequently. Post-concussive symptoms are no joke. If you want to talk about it and what to look out for in the upcoming weeks, drop me a PM.

Rob

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really glad you're OK! I bet they will total the bike (at least I hope they do.. so you can get a nice new replacement :thumbup: )

Amazing you didn't get hurt!

Just want to mention one thing about *setting the suspension* for your future riding career: ideal weight transfer for an average sport bike is 40% front / 60% rear, in curves, and to accomplish this one would roll on the throttle very lightly and progressively all through the curve, BUT.. this only applies to a curve where you've picked your line and it's free of hazards and nothing is jumping out in front of you.

Not all curves are perfect and WE are not perfect. Inevitably, there will be times where you'll miss a hazard (which ideally should be identified as early as possible) and you'll have to correct your line. This may require standing the bike up (and possibly braking) and then re-pointing it into a curve or leaning the bike harder.

A good practice for this would be to set up a curve in an empty lot. Place a small hazard (paper cup, 1/2 full of water works well and won't make you crash if you ride over it) somewhere before the apex and practice going into a turn and adjusting your line, by straightening up, braking and re-leaning the bike / rolling on the throttle.

Again.. really glad you're not hurt! :thumbup:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 04 model FZ6 was totaled out with about the same amount of damage, cept my frame was cracked at the frame slider from it being bent in on it. Scuffed up frame will still warrant replacement by insurance.

Glad to hear it didn't end worse!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re damage, this was my bike when I bought it, similar damage as yours, add the cam chain cover. Parts alone were about $1,500 including the main FAIRING STAY. I did the labor..

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was there and I can tell you that when I saw the spot he hit as I passed it I just thought it was worn asphalt. When I came around the curve and Sky was standing on the the side of the road with his bike laying on its side in the "shoulder" (which was about a foot lower than the actual road surface) at the top of a very steep drop off, I can say that it was the last thing I was expecting. After pulling over at the next flat spot and coming back to check on him and getting the story I was amazed that he didn't shoot over the edge. He was very lucky to stop where he did. Just behind and just ahead (maybe 15 feet each direction) there was NO shoulder, simply the edge of the road and then straight down a rocky cliff. We walked back down and actually looked at the spot and it was not really old asphalt so much as a water runoff groove about an inch deep filled with sand and gravel to the top so it was about even with the road surface. In that light (dusk in the canyons) at 15-20 MPH there was no way you'd easily determine its composition was different from the road surface in anything more than color. And I have new respect for ATGATT after seeing the gouge in his helmet.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW - sorry to hear about that! :( Thanks for details and being big enough to share it. Glad you're OK!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Really glad you're OK! I bet they will total the bike (at least I hope they do.. so you can get a nice new replacement :thumbup: )

Just want to mention one thing about *setting the suspension* for your future riding career: ideal weight transfer for an average sport bike is 40% front / 60% rear, in curves, and to accomplish this one would roll on the throttle very lightly and progressively all through the curve, BUT.. this only applies to a curve where you've picked your line and it's free of hazards and nothing is jumping out in front of you.

Not all curves are perfect and WE are not perfect. Inevitably, there will be times where you'll miss a hazard (which ideally should be identified as early as possible) and you'll have to correct your line. This may require standing the bike up (and possibly braking) and then re-pointing it into a curve or leaning the bike harder.

A good practice for this would be to set up a curve in an empty lot. Place a small hazard (paper cup, 1/2 full of water works well and won't make you crash if you ride over it) somewhere before the apex and practice going into a turn and adjusting your line, by straightening up, braking and re-leaning the bike / rolling on the throttle.

Good advice. I just took the BRC a month ago. I was really good on the exercise with the dirt bike they had me on. I almost had navigated my crash in exactly this way but the way my Fz6 dives when I hit the front brakes hard nearly tosses me off at stop lights if I don't come in slow. At my beginning attempts to slow and get off the throttle I did feel a little nose dive thats when I attempted to lean back into the curve. But, sum total is I wasn't fast enough or skilled enough I guess.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

There's a ride up north of here over Mt St Helen's which is an active volcano thus the landscape is moving and the road simply can't be repaired at the rate its damaged. It's basically a paved street for motor cross as its full of patches, dips, drops, bumps, cracks, sand, gravel, rocks, boulders, and it forces allot of thinking and line choice decisions on the fly. It was fun, used the entire suspension and totally kept you on your toes with "guess what's around this corner". Enough can't be said about plan for the worst and enjoy the best.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! What doesn't help is when you're injured on top of bike repairs.

Just about all of us get in that iffy zone on roadways especially if you haven't already perused the course and know what to expect.

You can have a lot of great riding experience but some squirrel, gravel or combo is going to treat you to a new experience.

Like Scott said these roads are not a track. If we ride aggressively this is inevitable. Sometime you get through it unscathed and sometimes ????

Get it fixed or a new one and get back on! :)

And...:welcome:Wyomedic to our great forum!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice. I just took the BRC a month ago. I was really good on the exercise with the dirt bike they had me on. I almost had navigated my crash in exactly this way but the way my Fz6 dives when I hit the front brakes hard nearly tosses me off at stop lights if I don't come in slow. At my beginning attempts to slow and get off the throttle I did feel a little nose dive thats when I attempted to lean back into the curve. But, sum total is I wasn't fast enough or skilled enough I guess.

Don't beat yourself up. You walked away from this crash unhurt and that's what matters most. Learn from it.. make yourself better by practicing, reading and watching.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
WOW - sorry to hear about that! :( Thanks for details and being big enough to share it. Glad you're OK!

No worries, I'm big enough as 34 year old man to know when I've done something I should be embarrassed about and something to be learned from.

Thanks David323 for being there and reminding me about the way the road was.

I dropped off the bike this morning and they think that it will be totalled. Fairing, Radiator, tank marks, scuff on frame, crank case, side fender, seat, windshield, left side mirror and arm. Sorry for the pics it just rotated them on its own.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could've been worse, at least we didn't have to try to ride 2-up to get out of there. We would've easily maxed out my suspension with our large selves...:D

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Like Scott said these roads are not a track. If we ride aggressively this is inevitable. Sometime you get through it unscathed and sometimes ????

Get it fixed or a new one and get back on! :)

The most annoying thing to me is that I wasn't riding aggresively. I may have at other times but not then. I had slowed down and was being cautious. I don't know if it would be easier to just write it off as I was being an idiot. I'm not really beating myself up either, I'm just one of those over-analytical thinker types.

LOL, I was talking at the dealer on Friday before the crash about getting a bigger bike the Fz8 or an Fz1. It depends on how much of a check they cut me for the bike. I'll be a little sad to get rid of 'Darkness' but I want something as clean and beautiful as it was when I got it. If it is enough I may jump up to a 2012 Fz8. I don't feel like with my size 6'4" and 250 that the 600 was too much for me. And the top end on the highway left me wanting more (roll on speed in top gear). If that doesn't look like it will work out then the dealership has a 2009 Fz6 black. I will dump any extra money into the suspension first and then do some pipes. I still think the suspension mod would have saved me or allowed me to recover more easily. I guess the front fork spring is rated at .770 kg/mm and racetech for my weight recommends between a 0.95 or 1.0 kg/mm(units check). Maybe someting to modulate the jerky throttle response in the Fz because it was that initial nose dive from letting off the throttle that scared me from grabbing more break before the edge. But I had already adjusted it and it was a lot smother than when I first got the bike. Tell me I'm wrong guys if my thinking is off. Or maybe ERCI is spot on, I just should have come up like they teach in the class and grabbed the break hard. I may have stopped before the edge and stopped from laying the bike down but I dunno if I still would have went over and still layed the bike down. LOL over analyzing.