Lowspeed Lowside - Help me understand!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Amen! I feel for this guy. What a crap situation.

I'll start my hunt for new gear today! Do you guys generally order online after trying the fit in a store? That seems like the best plan.

It's better for you and your local merchant if you ask them to match (or at least get close to) online prices. Everything is negotiable.

Regarding the bike... Get back on that horse and have fun.

Good luck.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is wild! Sorry to hear that your perfect bike went down the day you got it.

So for the rim/curb theory, it's pretty interesting to me that the rim suffered that kind of damage but there isn't even a scratch on the swingarm, chain, or tire. I've never seen a rim do that, but to those who have, isn't there normally other damage to surrounding parts from the impact?

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! I'm back in business.

Picked up the bike today from LA, and spent the next 4-5 hours taking her easy on the drive back to San Diego. I hopped on the I-5 for a little bit, but mostly stuck to the 101 (slow coastal highway with many traffic lights). I was pretty nervous about the ride, but my confidence slowly returned with each hour that passed.

New rear rim (thanks DefyIntertia), new rubber (Pilot Road 2), oil and filter, and chain adjustment... she's good as new! I put a little bit of fuel injector cleaner in the tank to compensate for the ~4 year old gasoline that was in there.... yikes! :thumbup:

The bike feels great! This is really a precision machine. The throttle and clutch are both pretty touchy - I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself with them. My shifting felt pretty "clunky" most of the time, but I realized that if you preload the shift lever a little bit before pulling in the clutch, it shifts up smooth as butter. Gotta have quick fingers, too. There's a lot of nuances to riding this bike well!

I love the way the bike feels, very comfortable. I noticed my right shoulder was getting pretty stiff from riding more than 30 minutes... Probably from my anxious deathgrip on the throttle. I'm trying to teach myself to relax.

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied. I'm learning from my mistakes and understanding the accident better the more I ride. I'm realizing that I came on the throttle too hard (which is still too easy to do, in my book!) when shifting into second on cold/dirty tires. The broken rim was more than likely from the impact with the curb.

Happy riding! I'll be out there first thing in the morning.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! I'm back in business.

Picked up the bike today from LA, and spent the next 4-5 hours taking her easy on the drive back to San Diego. I hopped on the I-5 for a little bit, but mostly stuck to the 101 (slow coastal highway with many traffic lights). I was pretty nervous about the ride, but my confidence slowly returned with each hour that passed.

New rear rim (thanks DefyIntertia), new rubber (Pilot Road 2), oil and filter, and chain adjustment... she's good as new! I put a little bit of fuel injector cleaner in the tank to compensate for the ~4 year old gasoline that was in there.... yikes! :thumbup:

The bike feels great! This is really a precision machine. The throttle and clutch are both pretty touchy - I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself with them. My shifting felt pretty "clunky" most of the time, but I realized that if you preload the shift lever a little bit before pulling in the clutch, it shifts up smooth as butter. Gotta have quick fingers, too. There's a lot of nuances to riding this bike well!

I love the way the bike feels, very comfortable. I noticed my right shoulder was getting pretty stiff from riding more than 30 minutes... Probably from my anxious deathgrip on the throttle. I'm trying to teach myself to relax.

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied. I'm learning from my mistakes and understanding the accident better the more I ride. I'm realizing that I came on the throttle too hard (which is still too easy to do, in my book!) when shifting into second on cold/dirty tires. The broken rim was more than likely from the impact with the curb.

Happy riding! I'll be out there first thing in the morning.

Great to hear you've got it worked out. We have a lot of good brothers on here and Defy is certainly one.

Don't forget to stay in touch with us local yokels in SD. Just rode yesterday for the first time after being on for 5 weeks and then got to ride some more hours today. Sure felt good to be out riding!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious, what the front pressure was (checked with a different gauge) and if you could go back to that station and use that same filler and gauge again??? What if it had like 50psi cause the gauge was defective? Is that enough to blow a rim apart (50, 60psi???)

The other factor could have been grease or diesel from the fill station but it shouldn't have made its way up on the side. It sure looks like the rim blew out. So the replay for me would be did you hear the pop first and go down or go down and hear a pop? Cause it had to make a POP sound and it would be loud!

You might just wonder back to that station (long ways I know) and ask how many bicycle tires have exploded over there at that filler! Harvey might scratch his head and say, "come to think of it, quite a few".

That leaves man hole covers and paint. Those don't blow your rim apart tho!

Welcome to the forum and glad you're up and running! DAMN ROUGH start!

Last edited: