Sticker removal

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the WD 40 doesn't hurt the paint on the tank?

It doesn't affect the paint at all mate ... but please read the label lol ..

I took off the fairing "fazer" decals off mine and had a hard time doing it !! I think your US version has FZ6 in the same place ... Anyhow managed in the end with the hairdryer and wd40 but boy what a job !!!

Also took off the swing arm tyre pressure decal and replaced them with some new ones
watermark.php

Its starting to look how I want it to look ;)

I still need a new home for that awful tax disc holder though lol

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited:

brownie

Reaction score
Visit site
I still need a new home for that awful tax disc holder though lol

Best place is the bin, as long as you can produce it at the roadside and aren't giving the copper any other excuses to pull you they'll ignore a failure to display. Last copper who I spoke with couldn't understand bikers displaying a tax disc externally ready to be nicked.

Put it in a sealable sandwich bag then slip it under the toolkit.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
My Wife was giving me a hard time yesterday for leaving the sticky stuff on. I removed the sticker on the tank with her hair dryer but as of yet haven't removed the sticky stuff that was holding the sticker on. It is covered in dust and dirt and looks really bad!!:eek: I guess I should get the WD40 and get the sticky stuff off.;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that search and rescue must pay well! You have put a lot into your bike. I've noticed a new seat, crash bobbins, sliders, exhaust, lower cowling, stickers, digital gear thingy, and now a new windscreen? Am I missing anything? Looks great though.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that search and rescue must pay well! You have put a lot into your bike. I've noticed a new seat, crash bobbins, sliders, exhaust, lower cowling, stickers, digital gear thingy, and now a new windscreen? Am I missing anything? Looks great though.

It pays ok but not that OK lol ;)

Have yet to purchase the screen ...

I just have the mod bug !! big time :)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Best place is the bin, as long as you can produce it at the roadside and aren't giving the copper any other excuses to pull you they'll ignore a failure to display. Last copper who I spoke with couldn't understand bikers displaying a tax disc externally ready to be nicked.

Put it in a sealable sandwich bag then slip it under the toolkit.

I might just do that ;)

Only problem would be if left in a parking spot ... Might be worth the risk though purely on a security issue... always worried someone will steal it !

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
the best way to get stickers off is skin so soft. aka mineral oil. works instantly, also with those stickers with the clear thing if you grab it by the corner with the sticky part and the clear part, the whole sticker will come out as one

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
What about the windscreen sticker?

I'm not keen on putting the wrong chemical on the windscreen and fogging it, but I want to get rid of the sticker on the windscreen. Any ideas?

What about the VIN sticker on the right side of the frame below the tank? It's in a really ugly location. Am I right in thinking that it's illegal to take that one off?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not keen on putting the wrong chemical on the windscreen and fogging it, but I want to get rid of the sticker on the windscreen. Any ideas?

What about the VIN sticker on the right side of the frame below the tank? It's in a really ugly location. Am I right in thinking that it's illegal to take that one off?

Be very careful trying to remove stickers from the windscreen. I ruined mine by trying to remove a sticker that was placed on my bike for illegal parking. You don't want to use a razor blade because it will scratch the surface, or any adhesive removal because it will most likely ruin the acrylic finish.

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
For the tank sticker, a hair dryer alone worked great for me. No chemicals. I preheated the area for about 3-4 minutes, picked at a corner with my fingernail and just slowly rubbed the sticker off. No residue, no scratches. If you have residue left over, you can pull it off with a piece of duct tape or other strong tape.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Got the windscreen sticker off.

I used fingernails and very brief applications of a hairdryer. Then I used Goo Gone to take the goo off. Had a bit of a scare there, thought I'd fogged the windscreen. But it was just a thin layer of goo that had smeared over the screen. Some Plexus and a clean terrycloth towel and some harder scrubbing took it up. I suggest anyone who takes this sticker off skip the Goo Gone and just try Plexus directly. Have patience and a couple of clean terry towels. Thanks for the info.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use a hairdyer first for about 3 minutes to soften the glue underneath and then GENTLY peel it off as you keep the hairdryer on it.

Then use lots of very soft cloth and spirit to get rid of the glue.

You may find a colour difference where the sticker has been.

Steve

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I used my thumb nail to get off what I could and then Goo Gone to get the rest. Then I polished it with some good car wax to get the rest slime off, and it came out great with no scratches. It took me about 45 minutes and my thumb hurt the next day, but I got the damn sticker off with no scratches on the tank.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked the film and sticker off with my thumb nail,(what a pain in the a**e that was) then used wd40 to get rid of the sticky stuff, took a bit of time but got there in the end and to finish off gave it a polish. Happy days :thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Based on a recommendation from a friend, I removed some sticker residue from my off-road bike with Pledge furniture cleaner. I know. I thought he was nuts too, but it worked a treat.

This was not on a painted surface. It was the aluminum swing-arm so I don't know what Pledge might do to paint. I'd try it on a hidden part first but it really works.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the sticker off the engine frame today (the one with the VIN and gross weight data that is partly covered by the tank). That one has bugged me since day 1. This time I took some advice from this thread and used a hair dryer. I pealed the clear plastic cover off first, then heated it with a hair dryer and scraped it away with a plastic paddle blade thingy that looks like it was made to smooth bondo for body work. It was a lot easier than using my thumb nail with no heat like I did for the tank sticker. I got the sticky stuff off with Goo Gone and then finished up with some car wax. Much cleaner look without the stupid sticker.

H

HavBlue

Goof-Off and a hair dryer gets them all and it doesn't hurt paint.

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
i know here at my work we use acetone to remove decals and whatnot without the worry of damaging the paint. if its really sensitive stuff then we stick to the ISA.