Signed up for my first trackday! Hellz Yeahz

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
No seriously, so manny people just run straight off and end up lowsiding in the grass (causing a lot of damange) when their front tucks. Just look and commit. Anyway...

The 6th will be my first full Saturday in SF so I'm going to stick around. Keep me in the loop though.

Looking forward to the quality videos and photos :thumbup:

Alright Nate thanks for the advice and I sure will post the pics ASAP.

Have fun in SF! We`ll keep you updated when we ride in central Cali.......

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I was going to run the stock Pirelli Diablos for the trackday, since they were in really good shape until Sat. when I noticed I had a small nail in the rear tire... great...
So I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Powers...

3036650035_33c816e4dd_b.jpg

I managed to get the shop to give me a discount and they also offered me a free patch/plug on the Diablos, so I'll still be able to run them on the streets...

I also got the following from newenough:

Icon Field Armor:

View attachment 10321

and Held Thrux Gloves:

View attachment 10322

The last thing I need to do is get a shop to add a zipper to my leather jacket so it can zip to my leather pants, and then I`ll be set for Dec 6th!

I can`t wait...

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you bastards, I wish I would be around to at least play support vehicle for this and take some pictures for you. I'll be in New York for the first two weeks of December, otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat.:cheer:

Word of Advice, don't look off the mountain... oh wait, that was me.

Please do a favor and baby that beautiful Beull a little bit Dave. Also, be careful out there John. You guys are great riders and I have the utmost respect for you. Would hate for something to happen at those kinds of speeds.:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you are all set David, nice new gear!

Don't worry about the video, lap counters, and all of that other stuff. Just get a good day under your belt and then come back and do the fun stuff at a later date. Just focus on learning and having fun, the rest will follow. :thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you bastards, I wish I would be around to at least play support vehicle for this and take some pictures for you. I'll be in New York for the first two weeks of December, otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat.:cheer:

Word of Advice, don't look off the mountain... oh wait, that was me.

Please do a favor and baby that beautiful Beull a little bit Dave. Also, be careful out there John. You guys are great riders and I have the utmost respect for you. Would hate for something to happen at those kinds of speeds.:thumbup:

Good luck in NY Rob! is that for interviews or something? you`re not considering leaving CA are you?

I shall do all I can to baby the Buell... trust me I don`t want to lay it down!! One of John's advice stuck with me: "just ride the track like it was a new canyon road... ride your ride and try to forget about other ppl and laptimes, at least for the first few sessions out..."
I am going to focus on that...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you are all set David, nice new gear!

Don't worry about the video, lap counters, and all of that other stuff. Just get a good day under your belt and then come back and do the fun stuff at a later date. Just focus on learning and having fun, the rest will follow. :thumbup:

Thanks Pete! I think Johh will take the video cam with him on the R1 during the last couple of sessions of the day... I don`t plan to take it on the Buell at all... we aren`t riding in the same group so we`ll be able to take pics of each other which is great :cheer:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck in NY Rob! is that for interviews or something? you`re not considering leaving CA are you?

I shall do all I can to baby the Buell... trust me I don`t want to lay it down!! One of John's advice stuck with me: \"just ride the track like it was a new canyon road... ride your ride and try to forget about other ppl and laptimes, at least for the first few sessions out...\"
I am going to focus on that...

Yeah, the interviews are for Residency positions. It looks like I'll end up on the East coast because the stronger programs are out that way. You gotta go where the best schooling is if you ask me. Don't worry though, I'll be back out this way for more riding.:rockon:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the interviews are for Residency positions. It looks like I'll end up on the East coast because the stronger programs are out that way. You gotta go where the best schooling is if you ask me. Don't worry though, I'll be back out this way for more riding.:rockon:

Can I stay at your place when I travel back east?:D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
David, good luck out there! Work on the form and line and the speed will come later! Be careful!!!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you kidding? I figured you for a track-master already!!

Have a blast!!

Nope, the only thing I am a master at is re-building FZ6s :rof:
Seriously though, it`ll be my first real track day.

David, good luck out there! Work on the form and line and the speed will come later! Be careful!!!

Thanks Eric! it`s a fairly slow tight track, with no cliffs, Mercedes, 18yo blind chinese girls etc... so I should be fine :D :rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
ok guys I need some opinions here... I dropped my leather pants and jacket to a leather repair shop, so they could add a zipper to my jacket so I can zip my pants to it (the pants already have a zipper).

The guy is telling me he has to special order the matching zipper, and take appart the jacket to be able to do a proper job... he wants to charge me around $200 and doesn`t know when he will get his special order (so he can`t confirm he`ll be done by Dec 6th for the trackday)...

My first thought was: forget it, I`ll just add $100 and get a brand new jacket from newenough... but then I thought there might be another solution: what about stitching some heavy duty velcro to the jacket/pants instead of a zipper? do you think that would work?

I`ll have a field armor under my jacket anyway, so even if the jacket wants to fold up during a crash, I`ll still be protected...

Do you think the track organization will let me ride if I can`t zip the jacket and pants together?

Any advice is welcome... I might just buy another jacket, but then how to make sure the zipper will match the pants? lol

HELP!!!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Call the track organization...but at high speed, I wouldn't trust velcro.

It sucks, but in order to be ready for the track, I spent an additional $300 I wasn't ready to spend on tires and gloves. Safer is better, and you won't be thinking about it on the track...

What size are you...I don't think I'm riding that Saturday and only Sunday. I have size 42 A* jacket with the built in zipper to match all other A* pants.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I spent $140 for the trackday, $300 for the tires, $250 for the gloves and field armor... what`s another $300 right? lol

You`re probably right though, velcro would not be enough... but with the field armor underneath does it really matter? (rethorical questions :)).

Thanks for offering to help out with your jacket :thumbup:, but I want to figure out a solution for myself, since this won`t be my last trackday...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
that's all good...seriously consider the jacket if it fits.

I borrowed these items instead of buying them for the track
1. a truck
2. ramp
3. gas can
4. canopy
5. tie downs

borrow what you can...save up for the jacket :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All of the clubs that I've seen specifically require one-piece or zip together leathers. Even if they don't require they it is really money well spent. If you don't want to have a zipper put in you can buy leathers for about $325.00 to $400.00.

I have a pair of AGVSports and they are much, much better than the custom leathers I had 25 years ago.

AGV Sport Leathers - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Contact the track day organization, not us.

since this won`t be my last trackday...

Get something that zips together or get a 1-piece IMO. Also, $200 is high...I paid $400 even for my 1-piece and it is the most comfortable piece of gear I own (so long as I'm not standing up straight :D)

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
ok ok I just ran to cycle gear, thinking I`d get an idea of the prices and sizes for 1 piece suits and of course I ended up buying one lol

Alpinestar on sale for $399.00

it's this one: http://www.newenough.com/protective...stars/sg1_one_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

DefyInertia said:
I paid $400 even for my 1-piece and it is the most comfortable piece of gear I own (so long as I'm not standing up straight )

Yeah it felt weird when I tried it on... couldn`t stand straight up all the way, and the guy told me it was normal... the only thing I realized a few minutes after making the buy is that my field armor probably won`t fit under the suit... oh well, I wanted one to wear during my wkd rides anyway :rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it felt weird when I tried it on... couldn`t stand straight up all the way, and the guy told me it was normal... the only thing I realized a few minutes after making the buy is that my field armor probably won`t fit under the suit... oh well, I wanted one to wear during my wkd rides anyway :rockon:

I'm tall and thin so to get mine tight I had to get a 38. If I stand up straight it gives me a wedgie (SP?) but fits perfect when I'm on the bike...it feels like having a sweat suit on or something: perfect.

I say return the field armor and get a real chest/back protector.

Oh btw, that is a real nice suit. I'm jealous...my green suit is so, well, green :rof:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok ok I just ran to cycle gear, thinking I`d get an idea of the prices and sizes for 1 piece suits and of course I ended up buying one lol

Alpinestar on sale for $399.00

it's this one: Alpinestars SG-1 One Piece Motorcycle Race Suit :: New Enough, LTD

See there you go! You are all set now of a lifetime of track days! :thumbup:

Good old Cycle Gear, that is a great deal you got.