Signed My Son up for MSF

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, I signed my 16 year old up for the MSF beginners course in May. I'll have to go with him to the first class to sign the papers.

He is pumped but he won't get to ride the FZ6. He'll start out on the Vino 125. He doesn't care, especially with gas prices hovering around $4 a gallon. I keep reminding how dangerous it is on two wheels vs a 4 wheeled cage.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, I signed my 16 year old up for the MSF beginners course in May. I'll have to go with him to the first class to sign the papers.

He is pumped but he won't get to ride the FZ6. He'll start out on the Vino 125. He doesn't care, especially with gas prices hovering around $4 a gallon. I keep reminding how dangerous it is on two wheels vs a 4 wheeled cage.

It is better that he starts out on the smaller bike, when my son turns 16 I want to take the course with him again. I might learn something else lol!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I could see more teenagers come in and take the class because we also make them a better driver!

Just like Richard said above, what's stopping you from taking the class with him? I get a lot of mother daughter, father son, mother daughter son father and grandpa and grandma combinations too. Crazy..

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Not sure how MSF works in other states, but in NJ, you cannot get a riding exam waiver if you're under 18. So MSF under 18 here would be strictly to learn to ride properly.. not to get a license.

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I could see more teenagers come in and take the class because we also make them a better driver!

Just like Richard said above, what's stopping you from taking the class with him? I get a lot of mother daughter, father son, mother daughter son father and grandpa and grandma combinations too. Crazy..

100% agree more teens would be better drivers if they would take the MSF course. At least they'd be more aware of two wheels.

The plan is for the both of us to take the advanced rider course in 2012. I'm an experienced rider and my son didn't want to be nervous with me in the class. He hasn't ridden before, but we've gone over all the working parts of the scooter and FZ6.

In Illinois, if you are under 18 you must take and pass the MSF with a parents permission AND take and pass the motorcycle written and driving test before you are issued your M class license.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we told mom tonight about the class and she blew a gasket. Why would you have an irresponsible 16 year old take a motorcycle class???

All three of us were in a spirited discussion why he is taking the class. We prevailed, eventually, but I'm sure she still is not happy about it.

I'd rather have him start in the class and learn the proper way.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tonight's the night! My son starts MSF. Rain is forecast, I hope it holds out for a few hours.

Mom is still not happy about it, but she seems to be resolved that we're sending him to the class.

I'll update with his progress.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YEA, he passed the driving and written test!!! Did get rained on while on the range and froze his rear end off.

Now we wait for the official paperwork to show up. In the mean time, we'll practice in some "safe" lots.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats to both of you!

I have to ask. Have you gotten him full gear?
Show your wife how much you care and teach him to gear up for ever ride.

Dad and son rides are pricless.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats to both of you!

I have to ask. Have you gotten him full gear?
Show your wife how much you care and teach him to gear up for ever ride.

Dad and son rides are pricless.

Not yet, mainly because he won't be riding the FZ6 for a few years. He has his own helmet. We are basically the same size, so he used all my gear for the class.

I think I'll start slowly outfitting him for the inevitable day when he "steals/begs/borrows" the FZ. :)