Socal racers, unite! [[now w/ PICS]] - May 25th - Willow Springs

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I found this video over at the ZRX forums, it's pretty cool. It was on the same day you guys were there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfvzJLpx9NM]YouTube - ZRX track day at Willow Springs, CA in HD[/ame]

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool vid, thanks! Looks like that was Wavex standing there looking befuddled after the crash.

They had a nice sized group out there and all looked to be good smooth riders.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice video, thanks red06fz6!!

You can tell the guy has some experience in video editing... very cool!

The crash sequence wasn't me, but the guy standing up in the following sequence is me right after my crash... too bad no-one has me going down!!!

About the gixxer, I got the VORTEX front fairing stay and it is amazingly lightweight compared to stock... awesome!
I already mounted it to the bike along with the replacement brake lever I got... All that's left are the front master cylinder reservoir and seal kit, along with the foot peg and frame sliders, which have all been ordered from Ron Ayers :cheers: Total spent: $290.
But I also need a helmet...

Anyone in here with experience with fixing Fiber Glass? :)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that crash happened just after Wavex's crash. It was in turn 1, while Wavex happened in turn 4b. Awesome video either way.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
turn 4b and what happened 1 second later:

3617326805_ea3669b68f_o.gif

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The grid:

HELLGATE is 4th on the far right lane, followed by me, and DefyInertia (Nate) is not the bike behind me but the next:

3617289881_7247298866_o.jpg

You can see the 3 of us here:

3618109870_0fdbf7a620_o.jpg

3617289805_4dda60699a_o.jpg

3617289837_92463af70b_o.jpg

I want to go back to the track so badly it's not funny...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats it like to slide across the asphalt? Does the initial impact hurt? I figure a highside would... but what about a low side

They both hurt. I've low sided many times, 10 plus I guess, and it hurts. Mainly hips and elbows, usually it's not too bad. If you get bad road rash it can feel like you are on fire as you are sliding. I've had leathers fall apart on me while still sliding and really got some deep cuts. On my high side I didn't feel a thing until I woke up in the hospital as they were cutting me to put a chest tube in, left side of body was pretty broken; all the left side ribs, collar bone, shoulder blade, punctured lung, bruised spleen, concussion, glass in face and eyes. They both hurt.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
David do you have away to edit down any of my video? Unless I buy new software I don't have a way to cleanly edit it down to YT standards.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Whats it like to slide across the asphalt? Does the initial impact hurt? I figure a highside would... but what about a low side

Well you usually don't feel much as it's happening as you have an instant rush of adrenaline going through your body, but a few minutes later I started to feel a bit of pain in one of my finger and in my left knee... 2 hours later the pain was gone both in the finger and knee, so they were just very minor bruises and I was lucky... Most ppl will hurt pretty bad an hour or more after the crash... as your muscles cool down and the adrenaline goes away.....

As long as you have proper gear, sliding on asphalt is no big deal! I'll take a couple of pics of my gear tonight... I only checked it out last wkd, and was surprised as the one piece leather suit is ripped apart in a couple of spots... I had not noticed before... the Shoei helmet hit the ground too and is toast...

One final note: having a hard shell back protector helped as well in my crash... I would recommend that to anyone going to the track... protecting your spine is a good thing :)

BTW, anyone with a VERMAR helmet around here? I am looking for something light and cheap, but good :D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
David do you have away to edit down any of my video? Unless I buy new software I don't have a way to cleanly edit it down to YT standards.

Pete,

I will work on it soon! I just need some time during the wkd, and the past couple were packed (and the next too as I am going to Vegas), but soon I promise!

I am still waiting for Oso's video as well (he told me he was working on it) and Nate's too!
I also have to capture mine btw... argh... too many things to do! :rockon:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
They both hurt. I've low sided many times, 10 plus I guess, and it hurts. Mainly hips and elbows, usually it's not too bad. If you get bad road rash it can feel like you are on fire as you are sliding. I've had leathers fall apart on me while still sliding and really got some deep cuts. On my high side I didn't feel a thing until I woke up in the hospital as they were cutting me to put a chest tube in, left side of body was pretty broken; all the left side ribs, collar bone, shoulder blade, punctured lung, bruised spleen, concussion, glass in face and eyes. They both hurt.

Sorry for kinda thread jacking....

The only crash ive had was on a 4wheeler. first time driving anything with a clutch.... Crashed into a window going 35ish. had a lid on. ended up cutting the top of my hand basically off. cut all 4 tendons to all 4 fingers on my left hand. all the veins.... they found the skin tucked under when searching for tendons. Broke my kneecap, shin. twisted acl and mcl...... Didnt feel a thing til after i got done with plastic surgery

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete,

I will work on it soon! I just need some time during the wkd, and the past couple were packed (and the next too as I am going to Vegas), but soon I promise!

I am still waiting for Oso's video as well (he told me he was working on it) and Nate's too!
I also have to capture mine btw... argh... too many things to do! :rockon:

Thanks David, I fully understand, no worries.

I'm headed to Florida this Saturday for a few days of training for the business in Sarasota. We are going to meet up with Mad Man and his significant other. Going to Siesta Key for lunch. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for kinda thread jacking....

The only crash ive had was on a 4wheeler. first time driving anything with a clutch.... Crashed into a window going 35ish. had a lid on. ended up cutting the top of my hand basically off. cut all 4 tendons to all 4 fingers on my left hand. all the veins.... they found the skin tucked under when searching for tendons. Broke my kneecap, shin. twisted acl and mcl...... Didnt feel a thing til after i got done with plastic surgery

OUCH! :eek: Man that sounds terrible.

You made me think of a stupid but funny crash. I was trying to do stoppies on my 550lbs 1981 GS1100E and locked the front end at about...oh...75 mph or so. The bike hit hard on the case and oil EXPLODED everywhere. I low sided and proceeded to slide in my Levis, in the stream of hot oil that it laid down on the road. After I slide about 75 to 100 feet on my butt, and crossed two lanes of on coming traffic on my butt...the bike and I piled into the curb. I hopped up like nothing happened, looked at my butt and my Levis were still intact and my butt had minimal rash. I still use only Castrol to this day! :D

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
The grid:

HELLGATE is 4th on the far right lane, followed by me, and DefyInertia (Nate) is not the bike behind me but the next:

3617289881_7247298866_o.jpg

You can see the 3 of us here:

3618109870_0fdbf7a620_o.jpg

3617289805_4dda60699a_o.jpg

3617289837_92463af70b_o.jpg

I want to go back to the track so badly it's not funny...

I like the green bikes behind and to the right of DefyInertia :rockon: