NorCal ride to see SoCal gang 8/20- 8/22

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex (David) and Cali rider (John) have graciously invited all of us NorCal riders to a day of sun 'n fun riding their neck of the woods in Southern California on Saturday, August 21st.

I'm heading down early on Friday the 20th to try and beat some of the Friday night rush hour and will be staying staying in the Long Beach area.
We'll have a dinner on Friday night with the guys and go for a group ride on Saturday which David and John will plan and post an itinerary here when it's finalized.

I'll head home on Sunday morning (not at the crack of dawn) to get back to the Bay Area by late afternoon/early evening.
I have no set route for the trip down and back as of yet, but a more direct route for the southbound ride might be prudent time wise. For the return ride I'm in no particular hurry.

I live just north of Stanford University for those of you who aren't familiar with our small town of San Carlos and would be willing to travel a little to hook up with anyone.

I think it will be a blast and a great chance to ride some of the awesome SoCal roads Wavex and Cali rider are always posting to the forum. So if you are interested in joining me give a shout and we will make a fun ride down south. :rockon:

Cheers,
John

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very tempting! That's my birthday weekend, so I bet I could get a pass. Plus, I grew up there; actually used to ride my bicycle to Mt. Baldy from my house. Would be fun to do these roads on a bike.

I would be staying with my sister in Fullerton to save money, but could meet anywhere really.

Where are you going to ride? Big Bear? Baldy? Palomar?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
W00t! It's going to be awesome! :) Too bad Tailgate will be sun bathing on the french Riviera at that time :D

Who else is from up there? DefyInertia? Chemiker? ....

For the Saturday ride, I think we should do something similar to our usual San Diego loop so the folks down there can join as well (hopefully Cliff will be back on a bike by then :))... Palomar, Montezuma, and maybe go back up through Idyllwild... I'll talk to Cali Rider about it tomorrow and we'll post a google map link shortly.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be staying with my sister in Fullerton to save money, but could meet anywhere really.

Fullerton is 10min from my work and 3minutes from where Cali Rider lives, so that's actually a perfect location :) I really hope you can make it Travis! that way I can finally return the favor from a couple of years ago :)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fullerton is 10min from my work and 3minutes from where Cali Rider lives, so that's actually a perfect location :) I really hope you can make it Travis! that way I can finally return the favor from a couple of years ago :)

Sounds great! I'm torn between this and meeting you all in Nor Cal in early August. I probably couldn't do both - especially if the early August trip is on a weekend (ours are JAM PACKED). But I have way less opportunity to ride in So Cal than I do up here. Hmmmm.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very tempting! That's my birthday weekend, so I bet I could get a pass. Plus, I grew up there; actually used to ride my bicycle to Mt. Baldy from my house. Would be fun to do these roads on a bike.

Where are you going to ride? Big Bear? Baldy? Palomar?

Travis, it's in the stars that you go. :thumbup: You grew up there (as did I), it's your birthday weekend, and your sister lives minutes from Cali rider what more do you need? :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...I get back on the 15th from the All-Combined Westcoast Ride. I might as well just keep my saddle bags on my bike. Just enough time to get some fresh tires and an oil change.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the Saturday ride, I think we should do something similar to our usual San Diego loop so the folks down there can join as well (hopefully Cliff will be back on a bike by then :))... Palomar, Montezuma, and maybe go back up through Idyllwild... I'll talk to Cali Rider about it tomorrow and we'll post a google map link shortly.

I'm down with that! :BLAA: I would love to join up with you guys.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We could slab it on the way down by taking I5. Booooooooooring, but it will get us there reasonably fast.

Let me look around on Pashnit to see if I can't find us a couple of fun options for the ride home. Also, Defy would be a great resource; he's been on every road in California by now I'm sure.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We could slab it on the way down by taking I5. Booooooooooring, but it will get us there reasonably fast.

Let me look around on Pashnit to see if I can't find us a couple of fun options for the ride home. Also, Defy would be a great resource; he's been on every road in California by now I'm sure.

You know, I don't mind Hwy 5 for what it does...getting you to SoCal fast so that sounds like a plan for the ride down.
I've been looking through Pashnit too, until my eyes go numb. :eek:
I'm sure we'll come up with the perfect ride back. I am really hoping Defy (Nate) will join us. :thumbup:

Calling DefyInertia, calling DefyInertia, come in please....

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
2 possible routes

Edit! Route has been changed!
Go to post #91 in this thread for the current (Final) route.

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy sh*t those are some long routes! Will likely be hot as well ... I'm a maybe.

I'd love to come out to meet everyone!

EDIT: I have hung w/ Wavex though - and I bought a bike from Jason (forget his un) :)

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy sh*t those are some long routes! Will likely be hot as well ... I'm a maybe.

I'd love to come out to meet everyone!

EDIT: I have hung w/ Wavex though - and I bought a bike from Jason (forget his un) :)

Really, you feel ~300 miles is a lot? Huh...

We like to get in a full day, and our guests from out of town want to see the best we have to offer. Everything is negotiable and this is just the planning stage.