Signed up for my first trackday! Hellz Yeahz

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm tall and thin so to get mine tight I had to get a 38. If I stand up straight it gives me a wedgie (SP?) but fits perfect when I'm on the bike...it feels like having a sweat suit on or something: perfect.

I say return the field armor and get a real chest/back protector.

Oh btw, that is a real nice suit. I'm jealous...my green suit is so, well, green :rof:

Me too, I bought a 44, could probably use a 46 (keep in mind every mfg has a completely different sizing system). I've noticed that the more I wear mine the better it fits.

The good thing about a snug fit is that if you need to use the suit the armor will more about less, giving better protection.

Nate, you look like a frog, I look like a Power Ranger, and well, David got a cool set of leathers!

David - Now you did get a new helmet, boots and gloves to match, right??? ;)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm tall and thin so to get mine tight I had to get a 38. If I stand up straight it gives me a wedgie (SP?) but fits perfect when I'm on the bike...it feels like having a sweat suit on or something: perfect.

I say return the field armor and get a real chest/back protector.

Oh btw, that is a real nice suit. I'm jealous...my green suit is so, well, green :rof:

:rof: @ the wedgie comment... it did the same to me... my "anaconda" felt squished there for a second lol.... mine is a size 44...

Do you own a chest/back protector? any advice/link to a good one you know of?

Thanks bro!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
David - Now you did get a new helmet, boots and gloves to match, right??? ;)

haha yeah right! I wish... new gloves are on their way, but I am OK with my Oxtar boots (even though they are loud as hell, and I`ll never buy Oxtar again)... I am still not sure what helmet to use... the Shuberth (heavier and bigger, but quieter) or the Shoei RF1000... I think I might go with the Shoei, as it is also easier to put on and take off...

Yall wear ear plugs on the track too?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: @ the wedgie comment... it did the same to me... my \"anaconda\" felt squished there for a second lol.... mine is a size 44...

Thanks bro!

Knox BP, DI turned me on to these guys and I'm very happy with it.

Knox Aegis 8 Plate Race Back Protector

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: @ the wedgie comment... it did the same to me... my \\"anaconda\\" felt squished there for a second lol.... mine is a size 44...

Thanks bro!

:rof: you'll have to switch sides every other session to avoid chaffing :rof:

some of the best you can get

Armor

knox is great too from what i hear

yes on the ear plugs!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha yeah right! I wish... new gloves are on their way, but I am OK with my Oxtar boots (even though they are loud as hell, and I`ll never buy Oxtar again)... I am still not sure what helmet to use... the Shuberth (heavier and bigger, but quieter) or the Shoei RF1000... I think I might go with the Shoei, as it is also easier to put on and take off...

Yall wear ear plugs on the track too?

Yes, always earplugs. I find it helps with concentration.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, ear plugs are a must! It's only really going to filter out the wind noise, not the engine. I too find it helps with concentration on a long day of riding as it's less taxing on my ears and I can hear other things better without the wind noise.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The field armor fits under the Alpinestar suit!!! I had some fun last night... my wife took some pics (notice the palm side of the HELD gloves match the suit... it`s pure coincidence lol):

3058569805_c4f2a8876d_b.jpg

3058570941_81360ebee1_b.jpg

3059406656_77942d8659_b.jpg

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice action pose! :thumbup:

Your gear looks great!

I'm doing my bike prep ritual today for my track day this Friday; the removal of 20 lbs of parts.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice action pose! :thumbup:

Your gear looks great!

I'm doing my bike prep ritual today for my track day this Friday; the removal of 20 lbs of parts.

Pete, sorry for such a noob question but where do you find 20lbs of unneeded stuff on the FZ? I mean, I can see fairings and stuff but 20lbs? seems like a lot (for a 400ish lb bike!)

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
You'd be surprised how it adds up. Blinkers (front and rear), rear fender w/ blinkers and license plate, mirrors are heavy, light bulbs, just little by little....what else do you take off?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, sorry for such a noob question but where do you find 20lbs of unneeded stuff on the FZ? I mean, I can see fairings and stuff but 20lbs? seems like a lot (for a 400ish lb bike!)

Hey Kyle, 22 actually, I weighed it today.

1) Front turn signals
2) Rear Turn signal and FE Kit
3) Fairing Liner
4) Mirrors
5) Center Stand
6) Side stand
7) Hugger
8) Passanger mounts and pegs
9) DB Killers
10) Tool Kit
11) Tank bag, (4 pounds)

I didn't count it but changing from the Cordin seat back to the stock seat saves about 3 to 4 pounds.

Also the exhaust system saves about 4 to 5 over stock. That isn't included either in the figure.

So all told about 26 lbs under stock. Now if it was to be made a dedicated track bike I think I could take another 18 to 25 lbs off.

1) headlights
2) tail light
3) CAT
4) Horns
5) Fairing stuff (all the little stuff on the inside of the fairing)
6) Smaller battery
7) Replace steel fair frame with an aluminum one
8) Remove left side handlebar controls,
9) Race only throttle
10) Replace insturments with small digital package
11) Remove unneeded wiring.

When you get on the track you can really feel the difference in the bike. It is easier to move around and just feels lighter.

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
So we're getting ready for the trackday tomorrow! I am very excited!

Here is my list so far:

- change oil and filter: check
- remove mirrors: check
- remove headlight/taillight/signals fuses: check
- tape up the headlight + taillight + signals: check
- extra 5 gallons of gas: check
- 1pc suit + gauntlet gloves + back armor + helmet + thermals + baclavia (yes, it'll be cold up there tomorrow): check
- One pair of Jeans + 2 t-shirts + 2 pairs of socks: check
- paper towels: check
- toolbox: check
- pic + vid cameras: check
- snacks + gatorade: check
- ear plugs: check
- extra QT of oil: check
- tire pressure gauge: check
- remove peg fillers: check
- check main bolts on bike: check
- small towel: check

Anything I am forgetting?

Wish me good luck!!! :D

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
An extra pair of underroo's for when you go too hot into that corner with cold tires... :thumbup:

Removing your sideside maybe? And the ever important ducttape, electrical tape, and safety wire. If it can't be fixed with that you might as well total it out hah.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
you forgot boots ;) ... obviously you won't forget them, until you literally down the list and only put that in your truck...

I forget where you're going (i'm too lazy to back up and see) but a lot of places require your own chairs/canopy to relax under. So bring a folding chair just in case :thumbup:

also bring a good lunch besides snacks only...unless you're gonna buy it there. eat carbs tonight.

ps: a recommendation I really liked was setting my tires for 30/30 pressures...extra grip to start with as a track n00b like I was/am.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
you forgot boots ;) ... obviously you won't forget them, until you literally down the list and only put that in your truck...

I forget where you're going (i'm too lazy to back up and see) but a lot of places require your own chairs/canopy to relax under. So bring a folding chair just in case :thumbup:

also bring a good lunch besides snacks only...unless you're gonna buy it there. eat carbs tonight.

ps: a recommendation I really liked was setting my tires for 30/30 pressures...extra grip to start with as a track n00b like I was/am.

Thanks! Yes, the boots are on the list as well :) just forgot to type it up.

We're going to Buttonwillow... leaving very early in the am... and yes, John has folding chairs + canopy...

About the tire pressure, I hear the Pilot Powers require higher pressure than most other tires? i.e. 35, 36psi? anyone heard that?