Airbox mod

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the years I have modded several airboxes on various bikes. The formula is the same for every bike- three things are needed to make a difference. More air in, more fuel to burn, more exhaust out. Doing one has little affect and even sometimes has a negative affect. Doing all three makes a significant difference- if the bike is plugged up. This bike isnt so mine is bone stock. Modding all three is way too much trouble for a bike that already runs great.
I can manage to outride my riding pack with way faster bikes than me. Having a couple more HP doesnt make anyone a better or faster rider. The cheapest way to get more power is to twist the throttle.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish there was a final say on this...

• yes/no for hp
  • yes/no for sound
  • yes/no for overall worth it

YES, More HP. Not sure why these guys are guessing 1 HP,,, usually (other bikes) it can add quite a bit (5%-20%), especially in the mid range and when used with exhaust and remapping. Do a google search for "air intake mod performance" or "airbox mod performance" or other related terms. It should return some interesting "before and after" Dyno charts, maybe not on the FZ6 specifically, but should prove the worth of this free mod in general.

YES, More sound.

YES, It's free, why not!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
YES, More HP. Not sure why these guys are guessing 1 HP,,, usually (other bikes) it can add quite a bit (5%-20%),
YES, More sound.

YES, It's free, why not!

come on 20% more power....that means by cutting a bigger hole in the air box you would get 20hp out of the fz6 and about 30hp out of a fz1....i think not. even with exhaust, air box mod, and pcIII you still would be pushing it to get 20 hp. even 5% more power is way stretching it out for the box mod alone.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
come on 20% more power....that means by cutting a bigger hole in the air box you would get 20hp out of the fz6 and about 30hp out of a fz1....i think not. even with exhaust, air box mod, and pcIII you still would be pushing it to get 20 hp. even 5% more power is way stretching it out for the box mod alone.

I say it is 30% more power.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
So what most of you are saying is don't spend 1000$+ on a pc3 or exhaust? I did and can tell a huge difference in e erything the bike does. Twobro pc3 airbox mod and k&n there is no dunk around here but I reckon all these things combined can get the stock 97 hp (maybe even more) to the ground. And I know being able to handle your machine will give you a edge over the competition. BUT power has alot to do with it. I can drive doesn't mean my carolla will run against a vette in the twisties. So for all those who think this then buy better springs and brake setup.

Shiny side up:thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So what most of you are saying is don't spend 1000$+ on a pc3 or exhaust?
Shiny side up:thumbup:

thats not what were saying or what they are saying, what they are getting at is you dont HAVE to have all that stuff to be able to out do better bikes, that all comes down to the rider

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site

Phil_RC_1 said:
it can add quite a bit (5%-20%), especially in the mid range and when used with exhaust and remapping.

I probably didn't word my last post exactly right :D. and It's hard to find info (before and after) of the airbox mod alone. Note, that I didn't say "peak" hp, I did specifically say "especially in the mid range and when used with exhaust and remapping". To say 20% could be expected in "most" bikes might be a bit of a stretch but not really. In the video that I posted earlier the gain is 27% @ 5K RPM. Granted, that is a slip-on + airbox mod (Not airbox alone), but they had already dyno'ed the slip-on which didn't show much gain by itself, so most of that gain was from the de-snorkle of the airbox. You do need the slip-on to free up the exit of the "air pump" in order to fully benefit from the airbox mod, ie, the airbox mod alone with the stock exhaust won't result in "big" gains but will have some gain, but if you already have a slipon, the airbox-mod can result in "bigger" gains then you got from the slip-on alone.

With all that said, remapping the fueling will make the most out of any mod that you do. If your'e going this far, get a PCIII or V, and a dynotune.

BTW: Ivan's dyno graph shows the result of the airbox mod alone for the FZ1. It shows a 4% increase in "peak" horsepower on the FZ1.

Last edited:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the years I have modded several airboxes on various bikes. The formula is the same for every bike- three things are needed to make a difference. More air in, more fuel to burn, more exhaust out. Doing one has little affect and even sometimes has a negative affect. Doing all three makes a significant difference- if the bike is plugged up. This bike isnt so mine is bone stock. Modding all three is way too much trouble for a bike that already runs great.
I can manage to outride my riding pack with way faster bikes than me. Having a couple more HP doesnt make anyone a better or faster rider. The cheapest way to get more power is to twist the throttle.

That's what I'm saying:D The only thing I disagree with is that this bike is plugged up too, in that, any bike that meets EPA street legal requirements is plugged up.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I probably didn't word my last post exactly right :D. and It's hard to find info (before and after) of the airbox mod alone. Note, that I didn't say "peak" hp, I did specifically say "especially in the mid range and when used with exhaust and remapping". To say 20% could be expected in "most" bikes might be a bit of a stretch but not really. In the video that I posted earlier the gain is 27% @ 5K RPM. Granted, that is a slip-on + airbox mod (Not airbox alone), but they had already dyno'ed the slip-on which didn't show much gain by itself, so most of that gain was from the de-snorkle of the airbox. You do need the slip-on to free up the exit of the "air pump" in order to fully benefit from the airbox mod, ie, the airbox mod alone with the stock exhaust won't result in "big" gains but will have some gain, but if you already have a slipon, the airbox-mod can result in "bigger" gains then you got from the slip-on alone.

With all that said, remapping the fueling will make the most out of any mod that you do. If your'e going this far, get a PCIII or V, and a dynotune.

BTW: Ivan's dyno graph shows the result of the airbox mod alone for the FZ1. It shows a 4% increase in "peak" horsepower on the FZ1.

I see says the blind man...i more or less thought you were saying that you could get 5%-20% hp increase by the airbox mod alone. But now that i understand what your getting at i totaly agree with you in that the best 3 things you can do to get more out of the engine is intake, fuel, exhaust, suck, bang, blow. like you said when all three are combind and working in harmony it all around improves the effeshency (sp?) of the engine wich inturn makes more power, and who dont like more power!

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site

BTW: Those pipes that you made are awesome and my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! You should copywrite or patent the design, cause if any MFG that sees those and has half a brain, will be copying the design and making ones just like'em.:thumbup::rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks and ive had a couple people say that but i wouldnt even know where to begin on getting it patented or copyrighted, i guess i would have to talk to a lawyer

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to jump on this airbox mod, just the simple cutting, nothing to extreme. Since I really can't afford after market exhaust, I also decide to just drill the muffler with a 3/4 drill. For now, it will do. Also disconnected the ground wire after the airbox mod, like some fz6'ers suggest on doing. I don't know what the purpose is for that though.
I have an '09 FZ6, and some say , since it has 2 O2 sensors, I won't be needing those mapping adjustments, or PCM3 or something.
Can't realy test everything yet, it's been raining almost every other day here in the bay area

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to jump on this airbox mod, Also disconnected the ground wire after the airbox mod, like some fz6'ers suggest on doing. I don't know what the purpose is for that though.

The purpose of disconnecting the ground wire is to reset the ecu allowing it to "relearn" how to fuel the bike. Since the airbox mod has less restriction and allows more air into the engine, for the bike to run at its peak efficiency the fueling needs to be adjusted. As the bike runs the o2 sensors measures the exhaust fumes detecting lean or rich situations to adjust the air fuel ratio, this information is also stored in the ecu and it builds up a memory of how the bike runs. When you make a change to the intake or exhaust it will move more air while still delivering roughly the same amount of fuel from this memory in the ecu, when you unhook the battery it resets the ecu to the stock settings and will restart its "learning". However there are limits to how much the ecu can adjust the fueling, that's where things like power commanders, and juice boxes come in. But resetting the ecu is better than nothing, and for the airbox mod resetting the ecu is more than sufficient.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Chevyfazer for making me understand all that........Another question, how long do you have to leave the battery disconnected? I left disconnected for 3 hrs, is that enough time?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah that's plenty of time, when I unhook mine I normally only leave it off for about a min or so, it doesn't take long at all to reset

motomikeman1

Reaction score
Visit site
so the general consensus on cutting the airbox is good or bad? And would I need to get a power commander III? I did an airbox md on my DRZ and rejetted and it made a HUGE HUGE difference. What can I expect from cutting the airbox on a stock '07 FZ6? PCIII required? :confused:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
so the general consensus on cutting the airbox is good or bad? And would I need to get a power commander III? I did an airbox md on my DRZ and rejetted and it made a HUGE HUGE difference. What can I expect from cutting the airbox on a stock '07 FZ6? PCIII required? :confused:

Short answer: Yes, if you get a PCIII

Long answer :D

As with almost any bike (or any internal combustion engine!), freeing up air flow is an advantage and will increase power and effeciency of the engine. There's plenty of empirical evidence to back this idea up. The only caveat is that it will alter the air/fuel ratio which will need to be adjusted to make the most of the modification.

Specifically for the FZ6 A/F ratio, there just hasn't been a lot of testing and evidence made public (that I can find) to prove or disprove whether it will make the bike TOO lean.

The only way to know that you're making the most of the mod, and that you're not running too lean, is to buy the PCIII (or whatever fuel module) and have it adjusted and tested on a dyno. There's just not enough previous examples for the FZ6 to draw any conclusions from about how much the A/F will change or if you will absolutely need a Fuel management module to keep it from running too lean.

Similar to your experience, every bike that I have modded the airbox on needed to be rejetted or tuned because it was too lean. My FZ6 is actually my wifes bike so I may never get around to doing the mod, but my FZ1 sure woke-up noticeably after a slip-on, airbox mod and PCIII.

Last edited: