Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
ok after much searching ive found out that you cannot just swap ecu from bike to bike as it is coded with immobiliser so you either buy full ignition system with keys or you read ecu code and reprogramme orig keys with ecu code. no matter what its in the region of 300 pounds which i dont have so bike has to go.

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
latest update.....neutral switch seems faulty as when not connected bike will go into gear, could this have been caused by a faulty tps? or any work done to fit a new tps when it was recalled?.

Sarz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my fz6 now for about 3 months now and after the first month I noticed it was stalling at low speeds or sudden breaking, so I did some reading on here and tried a couple of things. First was the idle speed which for me was pointless because the engine always seemed to rev between 1200 and 1300, except for when it was about to stall which was when it dropped to 900/800. The diag mode, when I checked it was always functioning between the right parameters, always, even after a stall. So I did an oil change and all the other basics you would do only to get a letter from yamaha saying that the DVLA records show that I'm the new owner of the bike and that it still has not had the defected TPS replaced. So it turns out that it could still be the sensor causing the trouble. Probably book it in sometime next week but I guess it's something I should have got in touch with yamaha about could have had this resolved awhile ago. Just so you guys in the UK might want to get in touch with yamaha about it the number Is 01932358065. Sure they can tell you if your bike has had the sensor replaced.
Mines a fz6n 05 plate with 26k miles on it. Can't understand why it wouldn't have been replaced already 5 years on.

Anyway hope the info helps.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my fz6 now for about 3 months now and after the first month I noticed it was stalling at low speeds or sudden breaking, so I did some reading on here and tried a couple of things. First was the idle speed which for me was pointless because the engine always seemed to rev between 1200 and 1300, except for when it was about to stall which was when it dropped to 900/800. The diag mode, when I checked it was always functioning between the right parameters, always, even after a stall. So I did an oil change and all the other basics you would do only to get a letter from yamaha saying that the DVLA records show that I'm the new owner of the bike and that it still has not had the defected TPS replaced. So it turns out that it could still be the sensor causing the trouble. Probably book it in sometime next week but I guess it's something I should have got in touch with yamaha about could have had this resolved awhile ago. Just so you guys in the UK might want to get in touch with yamaha about it the number Is 01932358065. Sure they can tell you if your bike has had the sensor replaced.
Mines a fz6n 05 plate with 26k miles on it. Can't understand why it wouldn't have been replaced already 5 years on.

Anyway hope the info helps.

The previous owner(s) didn't bother bringing it in. I received from Yamaha the TPS re-call letter for my 04 FJR when it came out. I got it swapped out although I didn't have any problems with the TPS. I think it says alot for Yamaha tracking down a new owner 5 years later letting him know about the TPS.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
How spooky . . . .

I got a letter from Yamaha this morning regarding the TPS recall.

I'm the second owner of the bike and they (Yamaha) had got my details from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency) even though I had sent them the change of ownership slip.

I had looked on the VOSA website for any recalls on the FZ6 S/N before purchasing and thought that mine would have been OK as it appears to be a long way outside of the end date of build where this problem is experienced.

My Fazer is an S model first registered in the UK in April 2007 on an '07 plate, so if it's affected then it would have been hanging around for more than a year before first being registered.

It's in the JYARJ07100003XXXX range . . .

Does anybody know the highest number in the RJ07 range that is affected.

Oh and by the way I've checked in the diagnostic mode and it's "16" with the throttle not moved and every increment is shows up to "100" with the throttle wide open.

I've not experienced any of the described issues, but I've only done 8000 miles, so maybe it's not yet started. ;)

It's going to my local dealership this week to be looked at :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How spooky . . . .

I got a letter from Yamaha this morning regarding the TPS recall.

I'm the second owner of the bike and they (Yamaha) had got my details from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency) even though I had sent them the change of ownership slip.

I had looked on the VOSA website for any recalls on the FZ6 S/N before purchasing and thought that mine would have been OK as it appears to be a long way outside of the end date of build where this problem is experienced.

My Fazer is an S model first registered in the UK in April 2007 on an '07 plate, so if it's affected then it would have been hanging around for more than a year before first being registered.

It's in the JYARJ07100003XXXX range . . .

Does anybody know the highest number in the RJ07 range that is affected.

Oh and by the way I've checked in the diagnostic mode and it's "16" with the throttle not moved and every increment is shows up to "100" with the throttle wide open.

I've not experienced any of the described issues, but I've only done 8000 miles, so maybe it's not yet started. ;)

It's going to my local dealership this week to be looked at :thumbup:

The numbers are normal, high and low, its whats in between that sometimes skips around or is missing numbers. The TPS tells the computer where the throttle position is physically at so the computer can make adjustments accordingly. It may be working fine now (as mine was) however its a good idea to fix a potential problem before you get stranded or it starts acting up.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I received a TPS recall reminder from Yamaha today, for a bike I owned 12 months ago. They must be trying to get them all closed out.

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
if it aint actin up dont change it, mine was fine but thought id better get it replaced as a new one should be better than old, 1 week after fitting it gave in leaving me stranded and now i have a 200 quid mechanics bill and am in legal dispute with yamaha.
never in all my years on this earth will i spend another £1 on a yamaha product.
its not an updated tps they fit its just a new one with same problem. the new tps took out my engine cut off relay too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if it aint actin up dont change it, mine was fine but thought id better get it replaced as a new one should be better than old, 1 week after fitting it gave in leaving me stranded and now i have a 200 quid mechanics bill and am in legal dispute with yamaha.
never in all my years on this earth will i spend another £1 on a yamaha product.
its not an updated tps they fit its just a new one with same problem. the new tps took out my engine cut off relay too.

If I was you, I'd go to another Yamaha shop and get it replaced with the updated one. Then get a hold of Yamaha headquarters and let them know what's going on... That's BS what they did to you... I do have to disagree thou and to put the updated, fixed TPS in before it leaves you stranded...

BTW, whats an engine cut off relay?

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look along your line of relays, the big one on the right is the engine cut off relay. or to give it its haynes name starter circuit cut off relay.

thing is its not an updated part, the TPS its just an exact same one only its new, and apparently can have the same fault, mine isnt the only example of theis "ok before it went in and a nightmare once out", id love em to put my old one back in.

mine now starts and goes into gear without stalling but soon as u try to rev it dies, think that is most likely the throttle position sensor, so working back the way the tps gave out and whilst still running in gear it overloaded the starter circuit cut off relay.

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
starter cut off relay is a diode based device. They have always been a good candidate for failure. You can remove it and jumper the wires to bypass it.

It's unlikely that the TPS caused the relay to fail as they're not connected.

Last edited:

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
starter cut off relay is a diode based device. They have always been a good candidate for failure. You can remove it and jumper the wires to bypass it.

It's unlikely that the TPS caused the relay to fail as they're not connected.

what wires would you need to short out just the +ve and -ve?

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
what wires would you need to short out just the +ve and -ve?

No. there's 13 wires on that relay.

The blue/white and white/blue wires jumpered together will put power on to the starter relay. If the starter motor spins up then this is not at fault.

Jumpering the red to the red/blue will put a feed on to the fuel pump - if the pump primes when you turn the ignition on then forget it.

This will bypass all the safety switch interlocks. I strongly suggest you don't do this unless you know what you're doing.

Generally if the starter cut off relay fails then the bike will not start at all.

Your fault does not sound like it is due to this relay.

Last edited:

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, fellaz! :rockon:
Concerning the main topic, I have an issue to share with you.
I experienced some engine dying at idle speed or when I engage the clutch when driving at some gear. After restarting from the key, everything seemed to be okay. This occurres less than 3-4 times a a year!
My mileage is satisfactory, performance also, idling is smooth.
I disregarded the minor problem for about two years till my bike died in the middle of a traffic junction, and I was almost going to be hit from behind... :eek:
Today I made a diag test of my TPS. At closed throttle reading was 16, then smoothly rose without missing numbers to 101 :confused::confused:
The question is whether to be bothered about the one point over the subscribed reading at full throttle, or not?
Should I adjust the TPS from the screws on it to gain maximum accuracy of readings, or it is ok to ride it like that?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, fellaz! :rockon:
Concerning the main topic, I have an issue to share with you.
I experienced some engine dying at idle speed or when I engage the clutch when driving at some gear. After restarting from the key, everything seemed to be okay. This occurres less than 3-4 times a a year!
My mileage is satisfactory, performance also, idling is smooth.
I disregarded the minor problem for about two years till my bike died in the middle of a traffic junction, and I was almost going to be hit from behind... :eek:
Today I made a diag test of my TPS. At closed throttle reading was 16, then smoothly rose without missing numbers to 101 :confused::confused:
The question is whether to be bothered about the one point over the subscribed reading at full throttle, or not?
Should I adjust the TPS from the screws on it to gain maximum accuracy of readings, or it is ok to ride it like that?

Your fine with the upper # at 101. When I was having some problems with my 04 FJR (it had the TPS re-call-which they did along with a throttle sync), the factory had the dealership adjust the TPS to RAISE the #'s. If anything, the computer thinks the throttle is open more than it is and will richen up the mixture just slightly. (its set pretty lean from the factory).

As a side note, the problem it had, they couldn't find, WAS NOT the TPS but corroded connector under the gas tank. I found it after searching on an FJR forum. A good cleaning and di-lectric grease fixed it, been probably 3-4 years.. My FJR surges much less (almost non existant below 3k RPM's) with the TPS set higher than 100... The FJR seems considerably leaner than the FZ on the bottom end....

Yours is fine where your at...

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx! I'm a little more calmed now! :D
After a while I've made a fault code cleaning. Got 6 faulty codes in the memory. :Flash:
I have cleaned them, and after a short ride, there are no more! :rockon: