Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay,

The Yamaha site for recalls (or as they call it "Factory Modification Campaign"):
Factory Modification Campaigns - Yamaha Sport

You can also use the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website which will actually allow you to check all cars, trucks, bikes, etc. Enter your e-mail and I believe they will automatically e-mail you with any recalls related to your vehicle.:
ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
following the instructions in post 1 i get diag then when i release the two buttons and press select i get c0, pressing select again toggles it back to diag. has anyone carried out this check successfully :confused:

Yeah I think I had the same problem as you when I followed the post 1 instructions. I think I used directions from a different site but cannot recall. I may still have hte printout at home so I will try to check when I get home but Off the top of my head it was the same directions in Post 1 except after turning the key you had to press both buttons for 2 seconds more? Again I'll confirm when I get home (and I'll be sure not to cross post). :)

H

HavBlue

I received the letter on the TPS and washer way back. Didn't do anything about the washer because the sprocket had been changed. Didn't do anything about the TPS because the bike has never had a single problem that would have indicated there was a malfunction. That bike has simple been flawless since day one.

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
I received the letter on the TPS and washer way back. Didn't do anything about the washer because the sprocket had been changed. Didn't do anything about the TPS because the bike has never had a single problem that would have indicated there was a malfunction. That bike has simple been flawless since day one.

Its just my opinion but if there is a safety recall you may want to do it anyway regardless of it has occured or not. This stalling thing occured out of the blue and was quite dangerous as I was 100 miles from home. Stalling while the bike is in motion I guess in theory could cause the rear wheel to lock up and then lead to a highside I think. JMHO though.Not to mention that after it stalls, at least mine, will not stay started without rolling on the throttle and keeping it rev'd. Embarrasing too because then each time it stalls people look at you like you don't know how to ride!

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
following the instructions in post 1 i get diag then when i release the two buttons and press select i get c0, pressing select again toggles it back to diag. has anyone carried out this check successfully :confused:

I double checked what I had at home. The isntructions I had said to, "hold the two buttons for 2 seconds then turn the key and hold the 2 buttons for 8 more seconds after that." Then release and scroll through to the diag that you desire.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its just my opinion but if there is a safety recall you may want to do it anyway regardless of it has occured or not.

I got the recall letter and as my bike was due for a service, I booked it in and asked for the TPS to be done at the same time. My booking was for 3 weeks from that day. Took the bike down on the booked in day, and they inform me that they hadn't been able to get the sensor and will ring me when they get some in stock. That was nearly a month ago, still no phone call :(

I haven't had any problems with it so far, and with winter coming soon, the weather has become pretty crappy here anyway.

On the idle, When I got the first service done, they said they reduced it. It used to sit on about 1250rpm, they reduced it to about 1000 rpm. Should I bump it back up again???

Thanks for the heplful links you've provided. :Sport:

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Took the bike down on the booked in day, and they inform me that they hadn't been able to get the sensor and will ring me when they get some in stock. That was nearly a month ago, still no phone call :(

I haven't had any problems with it so far, and with winter coming soon, the weather has become pretty crappy here anyway.

On the idle, When I got the first service done, they said they reduced it. It used to sit on about 1250rpm, they reduced it to about 1000 rpm. Should I bump it back up again???

:Sport:

You kind of threw me with the "winter coming" part then I noticed you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Dare we say slower lower hemisphere? LOL!

Well, keep on them about the part I suppose and get it in when you can. With mine there was no early warnings or signs, it just happened one day.

I personally think 1k rpm is fine. Saves gas for one thing.

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I got my bike back from getting the TPS replaced. I had not realized it but with the faulty TPS, my bike lost some power. I noticed a huge difference wheile riding it home. I was barely touching the throttle and it seemed to want to race. It was like I was riding it for the first time again. :Sport:

And no more stalling :rockon:and the miles per gallon seem to be back up to normal.:thumbup: I'll know for sure with more riding and once I fill the tank.

y0s_bikey

Reaction score
Visit site
think i am one of the unlucky guys to encounter TPS prob on my 08... It happened on a few occassions, some scenarios are like this:
on ignition thou not started but headlight goes on and meter appears 16 blinking at the timing spot. and the rpm needle reving up.
on idle bike dies off. clutch in, bike dies off while bike free rolling.
Called up yamaha and they told me they don't know what error code was that need to drop the bike with them and they diagnose the prob...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my TPS the other day and wow what a differance! The milage went through the roof. That and the roll on power is much better!

-bryan

Hapi

Reaction score
Visit site
Diag mod and CO adjusting video,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoFS016ouc"]YouTube - Regulacion Co FZ6[/ame]

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
May sound strange but my 06 has never really gotten close to any of the mileage that you guys are claiming. Best ever is 43mpg and that's with keeping it under 6k the enetire tank. Could this be the problem? The self test comes out a little high but is still within spec.

Khyren

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
CHECKING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

1. Remove: Throttle position sensor (from the throttle body)

2. Check:

a. Connect the pocket tester to the throttle position sensor. (Tester positive lead = Blue, Tester negative lead = Black/Blue )

b. Check the throttle position sensor maximum resistance. (Resistance 4.0–6.0 KOhm)
Out of specification = Replace the throttle position sensor.

c. Connect the pocket tester to the throttle position sensor. (Tester positive lead Blue Tester negative lead Black/Blue)

d. While slowly turning the throttle position sensor shaft, check that the throttle position sensor resistance is within the specified range. (0 to 3.5–6.5 KOhm at 20º C)
The resistance does not change or it changes abruptly = Replace the throttle position sensor.

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
hi everybody :)

I guess I am experiencing the notorious TPS problem on my 2004 FZ6. Since my bike was imported from the USA and I bought it second hand, I guess I will have hard time convincing the local Yamaha dealership to have the TPS replaced free of charge (I will try though :))

do you know where can I order the TPS online and for what price? I was trying to search through some web-sites, but with no significant success.

thanx very much ... ;)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
hi everybody :)

I guess I am experiencing the notorious TPS problem on my 2004 FZ6. Since my bike was imported from the USA and I bought it second hand, I guess I will have hard time convincing the local Yamaha dealership to have the TPS replaced free of charge (I will try though :))

do you know where can I order the TPS online and for what price? I was trying to search through some web-sites, but with no significant success.

thanx very much ... ;)

They will run your vin and see that is due to have it. There shouldnt be any issues.

-bryan

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, 10x a lot for the advice....

Unfortunately, as I was afraid, the local yamaha representatives replied this morning that, since my Fazer was not purchased from them, they cannot make the replacement.

I'll call Yamaha in the USA tonight and see if there's a way to resolve the problem...

I'll keep you guys posted :)

Silvia

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Bryan, 10x a lot for the advice....

Unfortunately, as I was afraid, the local yamaha representatives replied this morning that, since my Fazer was not purchased from them, they cannot make the replacement.

I'll call Yamaha in the USA tonight and see if there's a way to resolve the problem...

I'll keep you guys posted :)

Silvia

Hey Silvia,

It shouldn't matter that you didn't purchase the bike from them since it is a Yamaha Factory recall! Any Yamaha repair facility should be able to do the replacement as the facility will then charge Yamaha for the parts and labour.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Silvia,

It shouldn't matter that you didn't purchase the bike from them since it is a Yamaha Factory recall! Any Yamaha repair facility should be able to do the replacement as the facility will then charge Yamaha for the parts and labour.

Absolutely. I just picked up my 2005 last night after having the TPS and front sprocket retaining nut replaced, as per Yamaha safety recalls issued on my VIN - my cost? 0.00. Unless you count the exhaust I couldn't resist getting while I was there...that was considerably more.

I recently purchased the bike, used, from a Honda dealer, it was originally from somewhere in Texas, I'm in Illinois, the Yamaha dealer I called said "you need to bring that in".

Anyway, the bike used to idle, when warmed up, between 700 and 1100 rpm, all at once. It sounded bad :(, and stalled quite a few times on me while coasting up to stops - on the way home last night, it purred like a kitten and never stalled.

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
10x very much for the useful replies...

as a matter of fact, I did try to communicate with the yamaha dealership again today; explained them that after all I am driving a Yamaha motrocycle with a defective TPS, for which there's a factory recall....

so finally, they decided to check out and see if they can change it...

over the weekend I was at a California superbike school at the Serres circuit in Greece and the problem appeared all of a sudden; a few hard restars (turn the key on and off) corrected it... but after the classes, on the 230 km way back to Sofia, the bike did not run properly again: it felt as though there's not enough fuel transmitted to the engine?! the engine worked with uneven rate, as though I opened and closed the throttle sharply and finally stalled when going down to a lower shift...

luckily, I did not experience any accident... :thumbup:

Last edited: