Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

BH17

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, since when was there a recall? How can i tell if mine is messed up? I get bad milage i know that for a fact and its not like i race or anything. Please let me know, i have an 04 also. Thanks - Brian

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, since when was there a recall? How can i tell if mine is messed up? I get bad milage i know that for a fact and its not like i race or anything. Please let me know, i have an 04 also. Thanks - Brian

http://www.salbad****.com/kimbo/fz6/M2006-011.pdf

The part you want (near the top) basically says: "Affected Range: 2004 - All"

Just call your local dealer and ask them to run your VIN - you may be surprised at what's been recalled.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
10x very much for the useful replies...

as a matter of fact, I did try to communicate with the yamaha dealership again today; explained them that after all I am driving a Yamaha motrocycle with a defective TPS, for which there's a factory recall....

so finally, they decided to check out and see if they can change it...

over the weekend I was at a California superbike school at the Serres circuit in Greece and the problem appeared all of a sudden; a few hard restars (turn the key on and off) corrected it... but after the classes, on the 230 km way back to Sofia, the bike did not run properly again: it felt as though there's not enough fuel transmitted to the engine?! the engine worked with uneven rate, as though I opened and closed the throttle sharply and finally stalled when going down to a lower shift...

luckily, I did not experience any accident... :thumbup:

Let me know what you find out from your local dealership. My father has been working for a Yamaha dealership for the past few years and is going to call his Rep. tomorrow about the situation and see what he can find out.

Like I said, your dealership should be able to take care of it, as long as the TPS isnt just a US deal. (Something that cant be purchased over the pond) I would imagine that isn't the case, but with the US model being different from the European model you never know.

-bryan

joelchambers06

Street fighter 08
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2008 fz6 not even a month ago and after owning it for only 2 days it was stalling when revved over 4000 rpm's i took it in to the dealership they had no idea so they called yamaha and they said just turn up the idol. well that worked for about 3 more weeks then when pulling up to stop lights and down shifting it would stall every time! took it back in and again all they did was turn up the idol i am now at an idol of 1350 rpm's that has seemed to have fixed the problem so far but we'll see does anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for this info. I had the TPS replaced at a Yamaha dealership a year ago. Recently I have been experiencing rough idling and low speeds.
I'll check these settings tonight and replace if need be.:thumbup:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?
  • Stalling
  • Irregual idle
  • RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
  • Drop in fuel Mileage
  • Poor Throttle Response
Originally Posted by Megatron on sportbikes.net
To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

For more discussion on testing TPS, see this post:
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...&postcount=247

Thanks a lot for this info. I am having this issue right now and I need to check if I need to change my TPS. Great attachment and expanations. :rockon:

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

I've done this procedure yet I still don't see d01 (there are a few others but not THAT) I do however see err:1 on the computer when I switch off the bike.

I did the procedure again over the weekend and got... d01: 16 - 101 seems ok but idling's still rough.

Last edited:

usa35

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like a lot of fricken' hoops to jump through... and a lot of people experiencing it. I'm going to print off some of the info and tape it into my the back of my manual for future reference. :)

Hopefully my '07 doesn't run into this.

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
hi everybody :)

I'have finally solved the TPS problem with my bike...
the new one TPS got installed just yesterday! there is a dramatic difference in how the engine works... much better throttle response and no stalls!

ABsa

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, i have a problem, so i need your advice, i have my fz6 2004 with poor idle or even engine stop, in service they said that it is TPS problem, but dont wonna to change it with a new one, only with my money help, they said: because your bought your bike in America and brought it to Lithuania, recall is for american motorcycles is only in america. what i must do? who should i ask? Thanks for any help. Sorry for bad english.

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, i have a problem, so i need your advice, i have my fz6 2004 with poor idle or even engine stop, in service they said that it is TPS problem, but dont wonna to change it with a new one, only with my money help, they said: because your bought your bike in America and brought it to Lithuania, recall is for american motorcycles is only in america. what i must do? who should i ask? Thanks for any help. Sorry for bad english.
At a minimum, I think Yamaha can/should send you the part for free. Maybe they may ask you to pay for shipping since you are overseas? At that point maybe you have to pay for labor? Have you contacted Yamaha directly? Explain your situation and perhaps someone there will be able to contact your local Yamaha dealer in Lithuania. As the manufacturer maybe they will convince the local shop to fix it regardless of where you bought it from?

Further, I am not sure the recall is only for American bikes. I haven't read it recently but I thought it was just by year and not location?

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site

Here's a site to go to to check for recalls. It works for bikes and cars. I tend to check it once or twice a year.

ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So I cant get mine to scroll though any other options other than the A10G thing or what ever it is that first pops up.

I just learned how to change the time to air temp. Is there a way to make that stay?

Also does anyone know what all the functions do inside the cluster? The manual really doesnt do alot.

-bryan

ABsa

Reaction score
Visit site
At a minimum, I think Yamaha can/should send you the part for free. Maybe they may ask you to pay for shipping since you are overseas? At that point maybe you have to pay for labor? Have you contacted Yamaha directly? Explain your situation and perhaps someone there will be able to contact your local Yamaha dealer in Lithuania. As the manufacturer maybe they will convince the local shop to fix it regardless of where you bought it from?

Further, I am not sure the recall is only for American bikes. I haven't read it recently but I thought it was just by year and not location?

No, they want that i payed not for shipping, but for TPS sensor, and its rechange. How i can contact Yamaha directly? I bought my bike from american auction, and brought it to Lithuania. Yes, recall is for all bikes, but if bike was bought in america, the recall for that bike is in america, not in europe, they said so.

BELGICAN

Reaction score
Visit site

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?
  • Stalling
  • Irregual idle
  • RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
  • Drop in fuel Mileage
  • Poor Throttle Response
Originally Posted by Megatron on sportbikes.net

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now.

hold SELECT + RESET again

Afterwards you'll see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

For more discussion on testing TPS, see this post:
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...&postcount=247

This is very helpful, was relieved to see my bike pass the diagnostics.

Last edited:

HouTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran the test on my 2008 FZ6 with about 6230 on the odometer. I got 16 for closed and 103 for full open.

1. Can the TPS be adjusted or does it have to be replaced?

2. Would having a Leo Vince exhaust installed impact this setting? Is it related?

3. Can I do this myself?

Thanks.

Joe

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could be wrong but I don't think the 103 for open is that far from the spec.

This is and interesting post and I'm glad I ran into it because I've been getting the biggest drop in my gas mileage and notice the idle seems to change a lot on the bike. The sync on the throttle bodies could off but this post about the TPS kinda makes me think that's what's happening lately.

I'm going to test it at daybreak.

Thank you all who've share their experiences on this post....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I haven't seen posted to the thread about checking the TPS is the numbers between the highest and lowest #'s with the throttle.

The diagnostic screen should show a steady increase and decrease with NO SKIPPING of the numbers when the throttle is opened and closed slowly.. If it skips or is missing #'s, the TPS is bad...

As for the high and low #'s, the TPS is slightly adjustable in that it is able to be rotated slightly on the throttle shaft either raising or lowering the #'s in reference to the throttle. It should be noted that even with good #'s cold, the TPS can act up when hot. A diagnostic test when hot (and acting up) would reveal #'s that skip or are missing...

Aftermarket exhaust would have no effect on the TPS.. The TPS is basically relating the throttle position to the computer.

My research is based on my 04 FJR which began having TPS problems sometime ago and was under the TPS recall....

Z

Zealadin

Before I get all over-excited about possible problems...
When I'm accelerating lightly, or cruising at a pretty unchanging speed it feels like I'm losing/gaining acceleration suddenly, makes the ride really... kind of bumpy, even on perfectly flat roads.
Its not -huge- and only shows up here and there, does that sound like the TPS having issues? Worth doing the diagnostic?