Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
just got mine back, another new tps, sidestand switch, engine cut off relay, intake air pressure relay, cant rev fast in any gear itll die off, havent done tps check but surely it should have been installed correctly.

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry "intake air pressure sensor" its on right hand side under air filter housing.
cause after a ecu reset it works, so when i picked it up it was goin fine.

ive got some spares so ill try em cause the engine cut off relay also controls the fuel injection so it could be faulty

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
mine was at 15 shut 100 open, still would stutter and cut off on long rides when i was just cruisin, another symptom is a "low voltage to the fuel injection system" code <<(all repeated from the guy at Cycle City)
So it can be within spec and still act up, just wont act up on a consistent basis

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow forum participants.

I purchased a used 2005 FZ6 a few months ago, and despite riding economically, with a K&N air-filter, Motul 7100 synthetic oil, nitrogen in the tyres etc, the economy is always on the low side of average.

So, I checked the TPS, which may have been a problem for my model of bike (2004 & 2005) and it came up with 16 (spec is 15-17) to 101 (spec is 97-100)

So, it's a little different.

As it is out of spec, would Yamaha still replace it under the auspices of their factory recall?

And, as it's only out by a poofteenth, would they care?

The faulty TPS can and has been attributed to poor idling, low economy etc.

So, what do you think?

Cheers,
Rick

FazerDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new and will introduce myself in the appropriate section ASAP but i'm a little concerned and want to try and fix my problem quickly. Just today i purchased a 2008 FZS 600 S2 which i absolutely love to bits. The only problem is it has stalled twice when pulling away. I did the TPS test and my lower number is 17 but the higher number is 103. I saw that the maximum is 100 so should i be concerned?? If i need to replace the TPS will Yamaha do it even though the bike is out of warranty? I was given a 3 month warranty by the dealer i bought the bike from so i will give them a call if you guys tell me it needs replacing. Also i'll have a play with the idle adj as the idle is around 1k mark at the moment, sometimes just under.

Thanks for any help you guys can give to a new member and proud owner :)
Dan

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was stalling and had a delay when I replaced the TPS it went away completely. I dont remember my numbers but I do remember thinking they don't seem far off. And the job is a bit of a PITA so I almost did not do it.

Well worth the time and energy to replace.

FazerDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. So am i wrong to assume that as the bike has 3 months warranty from today and it's a blatant fault the dealer will replace it? Seems a bit harsh for them not to do the work under the warranty if the TPS needs to be replaced as it's faulty?
I'll give them a call in a bit and leave a message but just wanted to get some decent advice first before i call them.

FazerDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. So am i wrong to assume that as the bike has 3 months warranty from today and it's a blatant fault the dealer will replace it? Seems a bit harsh for them not to do the work under the warranty if the TPS needs to be replaced as it's faulty?
I'll give them a call in a bit and leave a message but just wanted to get some decent advice first before i call them.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new and will introduce myself in the appropriate section ASAP but i'm a little concerned and want to try and fix my problem quickly. Just today i purchased a 2008 FZS 600 S2 which i absolutely love to bits. The only problem is it has stalled twice when pulling away. I did the TPS test and my lower number is 17 but the higher number is 103. I saw that the maximum is 100 so should i be concerned?? If i need to replace the TPS will Yamaha do it even though the bike is out of warranty? I was given a 3 month warranty by the dealer i bought the bike from so i will give them a call if you guys tell me it needs replacing. Also i'll have a play with the idle adj as the idle is around 1k mark at the moment, sometimes just under.

Thanks for any help you guys can give to a new member and proud owner :)
Dan

Those are my numbers a well, but I don't suffer from stalling. I've had some pretty weak mileage since purchasing the bike new.

Let us know what the dealer says. Mine didn't seem to think it was an issue at all, and without more of the pronounced issues, I didn't push it.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you've just found out why you're stalling - bump the idle up to 1350 and you'll see a huge difference! (spec is 1250-1350, but 1350 will give easier takeoff.)

As for the TPS, if your bike is within a certain VIN range, the dealer WILL replace the TPS free of charge, as it's a Yamaha mandated change.

Note though, that with a bit of age and dirt/carbon etc, that can also cause the TPS diagnostic to read a little hi/low.

Call the dealer and get them to check the VIN - they'll be able to tell within seconds whether it's in the range of bikes requiring TPS change.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: After re-reading, no, Yamaha won't replace your TPS - the TPS recall was only on some 2004 and 2005 bikes, but the dealer will. (for a nominal fee!)

Last edited:

FazerDan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Rick
Thanks for the advice. For now then I'll see how it goes having increased the throttle slightly but i'll still give my Yamaha dealer a call to see what they say. I have no idea about bikes so not sure if 103 is an upper reading to worry about.

sockstobed

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this thread :cheer: ... saved me tons of searching and $$ to find out what the hell was going on...

Part is on order from the dealership they will call me when its in and I'lll take the bike there to get it replaced... I am 2nd owner and the 1st owner never had this fixed... She has 6143 miles on her and she is 2004....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might take 30 minutes to replace and adjust, nothing major.

As for being over 103, won't hurt anything. Yamaha headquarters had the dealership bump up the TPS adjustment above 100 as I was having some problems on my 2004 FJR (It wasn't the problem, a corroded connection under the gas tank was)

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Not that my bike was running bad but for sh*ts and giggles I did the tps diag and mine came back 17 and 102 should I even bother? It gets about 48 mpgs and runs fine, i commute daily on it.
KEN

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 bike, I am not the first owner. Is there any way to tell if my TPS is affected besides the dIAG instrument cluster test, as in, is there a part code on the unit and a part code list of affected TPS units?

I figure I could pull mine out and check. I do have erratic idle and was stalling like a b*** when I drove it for the first time last year, it's been sitting in my garage waiting for maintenance ever since.