Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can a Yamaha dealer search for my bike's history by VIN to see if the sensor has been replaced? Or is there a way I can check? I can't seem to find info about this on here.

My idle fluctuates up and down about 1.5k rpms, somewhere between 500 and 2000, I'm not sure if that is normal or not. My MPG is 35-40 and that seems rather low.

I would first check for a vacuum leak. :) I'll assume there are no error codes.

The dealer should have access to a database that would tell if your TPS has been changed per the recall but keep in mind the TPS can go bad and there is a diagnostic mode that you can get your readout into that you'll be able to test the TPS.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I would first check for a vacuum leak. :) I'll assume there are no error codes.

The dealer should have access to a database that would tell if your TPS has been changed per the recall but keep in mind the TPS can go bad and there is a diagnostic mode that you can get your readout into that you'll be able to test the TPS.

I am going to do the diagnostic per this thread and see what my results are.

How exactly do I check for a vacuum leak :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to do the diagnostic per this thread and see what my results are.

How exactly do I check for a vacuum leak :)

Sometimes checking for a vacuum leak is as simple as inspecting the throttle body area under the airbox for a vacuum hose that may be loose or disconnected. Lift the tank, pull the airbox. Check the throttle plates to make sure they're clear. Check the associated vacuum lines and also inspect the boots that connect the throttle bodies to the head for cracking. :)
Edit: Also check the throttle linkage at the throttle bodies to insure the throttles are in fact closing all the way repeatedly.

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes checking for a vacuum leak is as simple as inspecting the throttle body area under the airbox for a vacuum hose that may be loose or disconnected. Lift the tank, pull the airbox. Check the throttle plates to make sure they're clear. Check the associated vacuum lines and also inspect the boots that connect the throttle bodies to the head for cracking. :)
Edit: Also check the throttle linkage at the throttle bodies to insure the throttles are in fact closing all the way repeatedly.

I can't remember if it did this in the fall when I got it, as I only had it a few weeks. I wonder if I didn't tighten something properly when I did the bd43 mod earlier in the spring. The air box was a b*tch to get off but I thought I got it back on pretty well. To be continued!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site

Diagnostic came up 16 and 101. Just barely out of spec. Looks like I'll be lifting the tank this weekend for an inspection.

NikNacz2112

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, could this issue also cause the bike to rev uncontrollably when started?

This morning my bike rode fine, but when I tried to return home the bike revved up to the limiter when started. If you force the throttle to the off position the revs will drop back down but even a millimetres change and the bike acts as if it is on full throttle.

Cables are not pinched and the throttle itself snaps back as expected when released.

Bike is an '06 UK model FZ6

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, could this issue also cause the bike to rev uncontrollably when started? NO IT WON'T, YOUR ISSUE IS UN-RELATED..

This morning my bike rode fine, but when I tried to return home the bike revved up to the limiter when started. If you force the throttle to the off position the revs will drop back down but even a millimetres change and the bike acts as if it is on full throttle.

Cables are not pinched and the throttle itself snaps back as expected when released.

Bike is an '06 UK model FZ6

Sounds like your PULL THROTTLE CABLE has failed / jamming up and not letting the throttle body butterfly close W/O you forcing it (with the RETURN SAFETY CABLE).

Just because it returns at the handlebar doesn't mean it's returning at the motor..

Look under the left side of the fuel tank by the frame. You'll see at least one cable there. Two cables are attached to the below pictured throttle plate:

Now, turn the throttle and release it. That plate should move in one direction with the handlebar throttle opened and it should CLOSE when you release the throttle (at the handle bar).

It sounds like the throttle PULL CABLE internally is jammed up somewhere.

Once you determine IF it's hanging up AT THE ENGINE, you need to do more digging.

My internal cable for my clutch, frayed, ready to break, with no binding/issues. All inside the cable.
Once removed, I cut the cable open for inspection.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also there may be something physically blocking closure of the throttle bodies. Open the air box and insure there is nothing blocking throttle body closure.

Akybo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I run the diag mode on my 2007 S2 and reads 16 min and 102max. My problems are :irregular idle and maybe low milage (dont know how much but it seams with my previous bike vstrom1000,I could do more miles than this one).
I should mention my fz6 has leovince sbk on it.
Should I change the tps?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I run the diag mode on my 2007 S2 and reads 16 min and 102max. My problems are :irregular idle and maybe low milage (dont know how much but it seams with my previous bike vstrom1000,I could do more miles than this one).
I should mention my fz6 has leovince sbk on it.
Should I change the tps?

The 16-102 #'s are fine. The TPS can still be bad even thou the #'s don't skip, etc.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

What's the mileage, is the bike new to you, any recent work, how long has the issue been?

Was the bike in storage for sometime?

If there's an aftermarket fuel controller, you might try removing it and see if it helps.
What do your spark plugs look like, black/sooty?

Can you post some pic's of the plugs, maybe an audio / video of the bike running may help.

But yes, the TPS can cause poor idling / stalling and poor mileage if bad...

Last edited:

Akybo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the answer!
I cant respond to your a questions for the moment. I didnt do the milage, just in comparasion with vstrom1000,with the same money,it seamed it can run farther than fz6.
I just bought this fz6 about 2 weeks ago, didnt check the spark plugs yet,it runs verry smoothely.
The idle issue is maybe from the aftermarket exhaust. It never stalls.But I will check the plugs!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the answer!
I cant respond to your a questions for the moment. I didnt do the milage, just in comparasion with vstrom1000,with the same money,it seamed it can run farther than fz6.
I just bought this fz6 about 2 weeks ago, didnt check the spark plugs yet,it runs verry smoothely.
The idle issue is maybe from the aftermarket exhaust. It never stalls.But I will check the plugs!

Open pipes ALONE won't cause that issue. An air filter mod, clogged air filter, K&N filter, "a critter nest" in the air box clogging up the intake, etc.

I'd strongly suggest going over the entire bike checking nuts, bolts, fluids before anything else..

You should be seeing roughly 44-48 MPG, (about the same I would think for your V Strom) beating around town..