Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's an 04, then it's effected. You can write down your VIN and call the dealer, and they should be able to tell you if it's been done or not. You'll also want to check to see if the sprocket lock washer has been changed as well (a "recall" on that too).

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
As my VIN is not in the sprocket nut/washer recall range, I assume it's not affected.

For the TPS, I've had a mail exchange with official Yamaha dealer locally, he's saying that Yamaha Scandinavia which manages the Baltic region states that bikes should be brought in for repair work only in the region where they are from. In my case, my FZ is from UK, while I'm in Lithuania.

Additionally, he says that Yamaha forbids dealers from accessing service history in other regions, while other manufacturers do not.

Anyone has a contact in UK that could look up my VIN for TPS servicing...? I'm running out of options.

The recall bulletin states that VIN should bear a punch mark if the work has been done. Unless there's another VIN location besides the sticker near the front fork.. mine doesn't :)

And by the way, how come VIN code is only a sticker, I've not seen this on any other machine - seems so unreliable doesn't it?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
As my VIN is not in the sprocket nut/washer recall range, I assume it's not affected.

For the TPS, I've had a mail exchange with official Yamaha dealer locally, he's saying that Yamaha Scandinavia which manages the Baltic region states that bikes should be brought in for repair work only in the region where they are from. In my case, my FZ is from UK, while I'm in Lithuania.

Additionally, he says that Yamaha forbids dealers from accessing service history in other regions, while other manufacturers do not.

Anyone has a contact in UK that could look up my VIN for TPS servicing...? I'm running out of options.

The recall bulletin states that VIN should bear a punch mark if the work has been done. Unless there's another VIN location besides the sticker near the front fork.. mine doesn't :)

And by the way, how come VIN code is only a sticker, I've not seen this on any other machine - seems so unreliable doesn't it?

As far as I know ALL 2004 models were effected, unless it was a US only thing. There should be an actual plate with the vin on it, not just the sticker. That plate is what would have the punch marks on it.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I know ALL 2004 models were effected, unless it was a US only thing. There should be an actual plate with the vin on it, not just the sticker. That plate is what would have the punch marks on it.

I know that sprocket topic is OT here, but I'm attaching a technical bulletin for this if anyone has their doubts about it as well.

The VIN ranges are

RJ08E-0000005-0005165
RJ08Y-0000003-0000810

Mine's RJ071...., bulletin states that all models after the affected range have the good part installed. If I understand this correctly, my VIN comes before the range altogether, but the bulletin doesn't say anything about such cases.

EDIT: heh... I've found the VIN embedded just near the top right corner of the sticker, can't believe I've missed it. Well, it has no punch mark, guess I can start looking for a new TPS since Yamaha won't fix this for me.

Also, I can't seem to get to diag mode d01, to check TPS values - all I get after holding select+reset and turning key is Co and dIAG which I can cycle between with select, I can't do anything else. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT2:

Ok, you have to hold select+reset for 2 more seconds one on the dIAG mode. The following text helped me

"After you get dIAG up on the screen you have to press SELECT and RESET again for 2 seconds to go into the Diagnostics mode. The default is the TPS check.

Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to OFF and set the engine
stop switch to OFF.
2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from
the fuel pump.
3. Simultaneously press and hold the SELECT
and RESET buttons, turn the main
switch to ON, and continue to press the buttons
for 8 seconds or more.
All displays on the meter disappear except the
clock and tripmeter displays.
dIAG appears on the LCD meter.
4. Press the SELECT button to select the CO
adjustment mode Co or the diagnostic
mode dIAG.
5. After selecting dIAG, simultaneously press
the SELECT and RESET buttons for 2 seconds
or more to execute the selection.
6. Select the diagnostic code number that applies
to the item that was verified with the
fault code number by pressing the SELECT
and RESET buttons. "

My TPS reads between 16 and 102, no jumps or erratic changes, steady change with application of throttle.

Last edited:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
So with readings between 16 and 102, do you think it's worth taking it out, maybe cleaning and put it back in, twisting slightly clockwise?

I'm not sure how that twisting calibrates an electrical part, but it's advocated in How To: Throttle Position Sensor Replacement - Sportbikes.net.

I do have poor idle, but no power surges, no power cuts or stalling at high rpm and even though the VIN has no punch mark I can't believe someone rode the bike till crashing from 2004 till 2012 and didn't go through replacing the sensor!

I think I'll check the health of it with multi-tester and try adjusting by taking it out and twisting.

On the other hand.. for all I know the owner could have crashed because of faulty TPS, soo.. what do you guys think?

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I tried toing the tps check today. For some reason after the dlag symbol, and pressing select, the only other symbol I got was Co.

My bike's the 04 model. And I don't know if it went in for recall.

The website I tried doing a vin number check on, couldn't complete action for some reason.

Any help with vin check or diagnostic problem or reliable and free vin check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I tried toing the tps check today. For some reason after the dlag symbol, and pressing select, the only other symbol I got was Co.

My bike's the 04 model. And I don't know if it went in for recall.

The website I tried doing a vin number check on, couldn't complete action for some reason.

Any help with vin check or diagnostic problem or reliable and free vin check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

Nick350GTR

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6 owned since new, low miles, garage kept. It developed a problem of stalling as the revs dropped when approaching a stop. It got worse and I thought the TPS problem might be the cause so I had the dealer do the recall on it and the output sprocket. I put in new plugs but I believe the real problem was that the battery was old and its output was about 12.4 volts. I replaced the battery and its running perfectly today. My theory is that when the battery output is low the engine will run good at higher rpm's when the alternator is spinning and that as the alternator slows down when approaching idle, the battery voltage (and reduced output from the alternator) is too low to support the fuel injection system. The manual says that the battery should be recharged at 12.7 or below so checking the battery voltage might be a good idea if you are having stalling problems.

valilieff

Reaction score
Visit site
OK Guys, let me share my experience, with stalling and rough idle

My TPS on 04 fz6 was also showing between 15 and 97 but when the bike was cold.
One day I did check it when warm and when you open the throttle very slowly it shows 15 16 and than is starts to play 1, 4, 15, 23 , and so on and then 18, 19, 20.......al the way to 97, this was the bad spot in the sensor.
And it did show it only when hot. So I readjusted the sensor with the two little screws to start from 18 to 101,
this way eliminating the worn part of the sensor,
Ever since already 3 months i am riding without a stall and without problems. the bike is smooth and running perfect.
This sensor does not need to be within 15 to 17, it only show the comp that you you are twisting the throttle and the rate at which you are doing it.
Another thing is, that my gas mileage is now perfect 5,8l city 4,8l out .
This is quick fix, eventually the sensor is gonna have to be replaced, but it may take years.
I hope I saved some chash for you:rockon:

twisty mcfisty

Reaction score
Visit site
My 05 fz6 was doing this terrible stumbling at highway speed and at first I thought it was bad gas because I just filled up the tank. I ran some injector cleaner through her and ham-fisted it around on to really keep the injectors pumping.

This happened a few times and I finally pulled my head outta my ass and did some searching on here and LO & BEHOLD I might have found out what my problem was.

I called the dealership and sure as Christ made little green apples, my TPS has never been replaced so she's at the shop getting fixed.

I'm curious to get her back and see how she runs. I commute on mine, it's not like she sits in the garage waiting on a sunny day so I've been diligent with the maintenance since I bought her (I'm the second owner - I've put 8,000 miles on her since December).

It's been a long week w/o riding!

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked mine since I am an 05 and it seem my idle is at 13 and open is at 99, is that a point of concern?

twisty mcfisty

Reaction score
Visit site
My 05 fz6 was doing this terrible stumbling at highway speed and at first I thought it was bad gas because I just filled up the tank. I ran some injector cleaner through her and ham-fisted it around on to really keep the injectors pumping.

This happened a few times and I finally pulled my head outta my ass and did some searching on here and LO & BEHOLD I might have found out what my problem was.

I called the dealership and sure as Christ made little green apples, my TPS has never been replaced so she's at the shop getting fixed.

I'm curious to get her back and see how she runs. I commute on mine, it's not like she sits in the garage waiting on a sunny day so I've been diligent with the maintenance since I bought her (I'm the second owner - I've put 8,000 miles on her since December).

It's been a long week w/o riding!

UPDATE: Got the TPS sensor replaced and she runs like a top. I also had the fork oil/seals changed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to share:

Throttle position sensor:
The throttle position sensor measures the intake air volume by detecting the position of the throttle valve. It detects the mechanical angle of the throttle valve through the positional relationship between the moving contact that moves in unison with the throttle shaft and the resistor board. In actual operation, the ECU supplies 5 V power to both ends of the resistor board and the voltage that is output by the throttle position sensor is used to determine the angle of the throttle valve.

At idle it should output roughly 0.68v which is adjustable via the Diag mode. If off substantially the TPS can be rotated. It should never require this as its set at the factory. But here Are some details on doing that.

Throttle position sensor:
Resistance 4.0–6.0 kΩ
Output voltage (at idle) 0.63-0.73 V
Adjusted by tachometer

ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
NOTE: Before adjusting the throttle position sensor, the engine idling speed should be properly adjusted.

1. Check:
• Throttle position sensor
Refer to "CHECKING THE THROTTLE
POSITION SENSOR" on page 8-79.
2. Adjust:
• Throttle position sensor angle

a. Connect the throttle position sensor coupler to the wire harness.
b. Connect the digital circuit tester to the throttle position sensor.
c. Measure the throttle position sensor voltage.
d. Adjust the throttle position sensor angle so that the voltage is within the specified range.
e. After adjusting the throttle position sensor angle, tighten the throttle position sensor screws.

Positive tester probe Yellow “1”
Negative tester probe Black/Blue “2”

JJD952

hearliam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, love the FZ6 forum. Iv'e been following this post and just a quick question, a mate of mine took my 08 FZ6 for a blast and he said the throttle was terrible, about a second lag from cracking the throttle to response, now being an 08 model has anyone heard of a problem with the TPS, I'm in Australia if anyone's interested, thanks. I don't have any issues like stalling or rough idling, just the throttle lag, thanks again. OK, got the diagnostic to work and the values were. 16 to 103 I think that's pretty close to the range.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is between 15-101, not 15-100. is this a problem?

No its not. If anything, it'll run a knats hair richer (the computer thinks the throttle is open more than it actually is). Nothing to be concerned about..:thumbup:

Mama Yamaha, when I had some issued with my old FJR, had the techs adjust it much higher than that (thinking it was a lean issue).

BTW, the issue turned out to be a very corroded connector under the fuel tank...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, love the FZ6 forum. Iv'e been following this post and just a quick question, a mate of mine took my 08 FZ6 for a blast and he said the throttle was terrible, about a second lag from cracking the throttle to response, now being an 08 model has anyone heard of a problem with the TPS, I'm in Australia if anyone's interested, thanks. I don't have any issues like stalling or rough idling, just the throttle lag, thanks again. OK, got the diagnostic to work and the values were. 16 to 103 I think that's pretty close to the range.

The 08's didn't have any TPS re-calls (at least in the US) and the TPS issues were pretty much straightened out by then... That doesn't mean yours isn't failing... Does it have any/all the symptoms posted at the top of the thread?

Is it lagging in gear or off idle in neutral??

I'd look at some new spark plugs (if their due), check the plug caps for tightness, check / replace the air filter, and definitly add some FI cleaner into the system. I'd be leaning towards the system needing some cleaning..(cheap enough and won't hurt anything).

A battery re-set (disconnect for a couple of minutes) couldn't hurt either..

BTW, was your buddy comparing the throttle response to another FZ6? or something else? With most of the HP higher up in the RPM range, its NOT going to jump out of the hole like a large CC cruiser with a bunch of torque at the bottom end(and nothing up top)...

If you can up-load a video of it running and the lag would help too...

Last edited:

hearliam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Townsends, no it doesn't have any of the issues in earlier posts, in fact I didn't even notice until my mate pointed it out, being an new bike for me I didn't really know any better, it's idles fine, doesn't stall, just the throttle is a bit snappy, especially when going around sweeping bends and you are trying to feather the throttle, when you want to get on the gas there's a second delay and then bang she takes off, a mate of mine who's a motorcycle mechanic said the plugs aren't due yet, it has a new air filter, I run 98 octane fuel, get great mileage. I guess it not a deal breaker, but I'd like to get it sorted, cheers.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Townsends, no it doesn't have any of the issues in earlier posts, in fact I didn't even notice until my mate pointed it out, being an new bike for me I didn't really know any better, it's idles fine, doesn't stall, just the throttle is a bit snappy, especially when going around sweeping bends and you are trying to feather the throttle, when you want to get on the gas there's a second delay and then bang she takes off, a mate of mine who's a motorcycle mechanic said the plugs aren't due yet, it has a new air filter, I run 98 octane fuel, get great mileage. I guess it not a deal breaker, but I'd like to get it sorted, cheers.

If you do a search, some folks have experianced "snatchy" throttle, about the same as you. My riding habits may be different, I don't generally run the bike hard and haven't got or noticed any "snatchy throttle" .

Some fixes, (do the research please) include a" Throttle tamer"(changes how fast the throttle cable pulls the throttle open-slows it down) as well as a much more expensive re-map of the ECU. There's also some threads/posts on that as well as a link (I believe arounf $400).

What seems to help alot is keeping the throttle cable as taught as possible (WITHOUT BINDING with the steering fully turned). I keep mine taught-tighter than what Yamaha states.

Alot of the guys, just learned to ride the bike without fully closing the throttle when riding aggressive (much higher RPM's in curvy roads, etc). This info is valid as long as there are NO engine operating difficulties coming into play.

Also do a search under riding techniques, there's many tips there on this forum from very experianced riders re your issue...

hearliam

Reaction score
Visit site
cheers matey, and thanks for all the info. Yeah I try and search the threads but there's thousands, and as I said before, love the forums you guys are a wealth of knowledge. thanks.