taillight mod!

H

HavBlue

Shin, I don't know there is a difference from 2004 through 2008.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
if you wanna see it in action,here is a video for you....i ran into this couple days ago

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFH6mT6Cwh4"]YouTube - FZ6 rearlight and blinkers mod[/ame]

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for posting that video.. I will take a look at it when I get out of work.. They block youtube. Internet police hard at work. :Flip:

Scott

H

HavBlue

Folks, there is a reason the turn signal lamps on a bike are segregated from the brake lamp assembly and while this clip looks good at 5 feet or less from the lamp assembly go back 1 or 2 hundred feet and check it again. At that point it looks totally different as I have seen these on other bikes. At a distance they look like a single flashing light as there isn't enough difference between the two. Additionally, you may want to check the local laws requiring a specific minimum distance between the turn lamps. Make no mistake about it the lamp looks cool but how does it hold up in terms of rider safety from the rear?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
If this is the "integrated" tailight assembly you're probably going to be disappointed; I have read several reviews lamenting how unimpressive integrating the turn signals with the brake light appears in actual use. If you purchase this, please let us know?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry ShinNH but in NH if you use this in place of the signals, you won't pass inspection and will be stopped for illegal signals. :(

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Folks, there is a reason the turn signal lamps on a bike are segregated from the brake lamp assembly and while this clip looks good at 5 feet or less from the lamp assembly go back 1 or 2 hundred feet and check it again. At that point it looks totally different as I have seen these on other bikes. At a distance they look like a single flashing light as there isn't enough difference between the two. Additionally, you may want to check the local laws requiring a specific minimum distance between the turn lamps. Make no mistake about it the lamp looks cool but how does it hold up in terms of rider safety from the rear?

i totally agree,,,as soon as i watched this video , i thought the same thing ,,,it just doesnt make any sense,,,,,your first goal should be as visible as possible,,,by squeezing all kinds of different purpose lights in a little box will confuse the hell of the driver behind you,,,,especially if they have no idea about motorcycles....and as HavBlue wrote,,it definitely will be seen as one single flashin light in the middle from a distance...

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry ShinNH but in NH if you use this in place of the signals, you won't pass inspection and will be stopped for illegal signals. :(

I figured I would get a hard time with inspections, so I was thinking about keeping the existing turn signals as well... it never hurts to have More flashing lights....
I was considering this piece because I thought they were alot brighter and would be easier to be seen with during the daytime...

Scott

H

HavBlue

especially if they have no idea about motorcycles.

Talk about true. Thanks Tolgatt. We riders often look at many mods as cool but we look at bikes and we hopefully know exactly what we are looking at but the general public that does not have a clue about bikes don't see chit and that's why we get hurt. Man I couldn't agree with you more......

Charlie

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally respect what you guys are saying, and agree with you that the general public is generally stupid when it comes to motorcycles, but my roommate just got the integrated taillight for his R6, and it is extremely visible within 75 feet or so, and does becomes less visible after that. Without a doubt the stock signals are wayyyyyyy more visible and understandable, but at long distances one could argue that it's not as big a deal. Just playing the devils advocate a bit. :D

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This integrated tail light does not give out decent light output during daylight. Most people who have this "Clear Alternatives" tail lens were generally disapointed in it's daylight visibility.

I would save your money and not bother with it...especially if you're going to keep the stock turn signals anyway.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if i ever got one of these i would also keep signals in the stock location. The last thing i need is to be hit from behind...

H

HavBlue

if i ever got one of these i would also keep signals in the stock location. The last thing i need is to be hit from behind...

That's why I launched the rear reflector for a dedicated brake lamp. Now, much like a cage they get to see a light come on that only works with the brake. Even got stopped by a cop in Riverside California that rides an R6 or so he said. He wanted to know how I did it because it worked so well. Ya gotta give them folks something different to look at. Something that catches their eye. Otherwise they tend to catch you and that hurts.....

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the taillight mod and I'm very happy with it. It cleans up the back of the bike very well. I purchased a smoke tail light cover instead of a clear cover, which greatly improves the visibility of the integrated signals during the day.

picture.php

H

HavBlue

I have done the taillight mod and I'm very happy with it. It cleans up the back of the bike very well. I purchased a smoke tail light cover instead of a clear cover, which greatly improves the visibility of the integrated signals during the day.

picture.php

There is no doubt the integrated lamp assembly cleans up the back end. A bike rider driving a cage will have little or no problem with it as they hopefully know bikes however, the cager that don't know squat about bikes will be the opposite as they can't get it right as it is. Here, in crash city USA, I wouldn't dream of using one. As it is, the lamps on the back of the Sporty have had the lenses changed to amber like the FZ6 and now when the red brake lamp comes on they get two LED ambers as well. Tell me you didn't see them lights lady........ My point is simply that cool or cleaned up isn't always safe in terms of what the general public sees and I for one want to take advantage of everything I can that may one day save my posterior.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no doubt the integrated lamp assembly cleans up the back end. A bike rider driving a cage will have little or no problem with it as they hopefully know bikes however, the cager that don't know squat about bikes will be the opposite as they can't get it right as it is. Here, in crash city USA, I wouldn't dream of using one. As it is, the lamps on the back of the Sporty have had the lenses changed to amber like the FZ6 and now when the red brake lamp comes on they get two LED ambers as well. Tell me you didn't see them lights lady........ My point is simply that cool or cleaned up isn't always safe in terms of what the general public sees and I for one want to take advantage of everything I can that may one day save my posterior.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wanted to share my experience with the taillight.

H

HavBlue

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wanted to share my experience with the taillight.

Make no mistake about it I like the way yours looks but when you live in a place where rear end motorcycle collisions are the order of the day I think I would go with the integrated lamp and retain some flush mounts as well. This way there is no doubt as to what is going on. Also, in the case of a rear end collision, the driver of that cage has just been given an out if the integrated lamp assembly is not approved for legal use in your area or any area where that bike may have been involved in an accident. Why? Because the driver of that cage can now say they were confused by the unapproved lamp assembly and their respective insurance company will be all over that one....... Now, in my book that is not good and believe me when I say the idiot that hits me in the rear has a real problem if I am alive to bend them and their insurance company over.....

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Make no mistake about it I like the way yours looks but when you live in a place where rear end motorcycle collisions are the order of the day I think I would go with the integrated lamp and retain some flush mounts as well. This way there is no doubt as to what is going on. Also, in the case of a rear end collision, the driver of that cage has just been given an out if the integrated lamp assembly is not approved for legal use in your area or any area where that bike may have been involved in an accident. Why? Because the driver of that cage can now say they were confused by the unapproved lamp assembly and their respective insurance company will be all over that one....... Now, in my book that is not good and believe me when I say the idiot that hits me in the rear has a real problem if I am alive to bend them and their insurance company over.....

I'm glad everybody on here has a different opinion. In this case; safety vs. look. If everybody agreed that the integrated tail was 100% the way to go without mention of possibly being in a rear end motorcycle collision, this forum would be worthless. It's very nice to see multiple answers to a single question.