taillight mod!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the integrated tail light assembly very much...but I would supplement it with "mini" LED flashers and perhaps some extra red LED's to supplement the brake light on the license plate, a la Boneman's modification.
Your bike looks GREAT nlheikki !:thumbup:
Oddly enough, the much faster RED FZ6 looks ok with the OEM red tail light assembly.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the integrated tail light assembly very much...but I would supplement it with "mini" LED flashers and perhaps some extra red LED's to supplement the brake light on the license plate, a la Boneman's modification.
Your bike looks GREAT nlheikki !:thumbup:
Oddly enough, the much faster RED FZ6 looks ok with the OEM red tail light assembly.

Thank you very much!

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
ill chime in. having an integrated unit to "clean up the back" and "look good" does not outweigh me wanting the highest visibility and clearest signal of intention when i am out riding. or stopped. or turning. a cool look is not something i would risk my safety for.

plus, i happen to like the way bikes look stock. hate those aftermarket undertail kits which make your bike look like a pinched turd. and about those, i have yet to see one kit installed where the signals arent flimsy, aligned improperly, or flashing strangely due to how cheaply they are made.

ill keep my safer blue color bike as it is, thanks.

H

HavBlue

Are the integrated led tail lights legal in California?
I like em a lot!:Sport:

Try this Nimzo. At a distance of 300 feet you can't tell the brake lamp from the stop lamp because they bleed together the farther back you get. The following is from the California Vehicle Code (CVC).

Visibility Requirements of Signals

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try this Nimzo. At a distance of 300 feet you can't tell the brake lamp from the stop lamp because they bleed together the farther back you get. The following is from the California Vehicle Code (CVC).

Visibility Requirements of Signals

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

I take that as a big fat "NO"; unless I am misinterpreting the California Vehicle Code. Safety is so important and I do not want to get a fix-a-ticket. On the other hand the integrated rear light is so frigging cool. I actually emailed the E-bay seller who is based out of CA, asking if his product is legal here in California. I have yet to hear back from him.

L

l41w

Hi Guys,

I would steer clear of the Tail Lights with Turn Signals Intergrated as they are very difficult to see from any distance and confusing to other drivers. As far as ive been told they are not road legal here in the UK.

If you are looking for a better looking rear, get a LED tail light. I have one fitted and it looks great and is much brighter than the standard light.

As far as the fittment of the LED Tail lights, the place I bought mine from said they are all the same fitment from 2004 to 2008.

Cheers.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
How do the brake light and left/right turn signal operate simultaneously? Personally, I would want to INCREASE visability of both turn and brake lights...and even the tailight. I installed a license plate frame LED "Back off" mod. It gives me an added brake and tailight on the bottom of my license plate. The new license plate frame LED bars even have sequential turn signals in addition to brake and tailight.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
How do the brake light and left/right turn signal operate simultaneously? Personally, I would want to INCREASE visability of both turn and brake lights...and even the tailight. I installed a license plate frame LED "Back off" mod. It gives me an added brake and tailight on the bottom of my license plate. The new license plate frame LED bars even have sequential turn signals in addition to brake and tailight.

pics or even a video would be nice to see, I dont see how this mod with a splitter to keep the original or other after market turn signals could be bad. It looks pretty nice on the silver bikes for sure. I also kinda like the stock with my better handling red bike but would like to see it on the red.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I would steer clear of the Tail Lights with Turn Signals Intergrated as they are very difficult to see from any distance and confusing to other drivers. As far as ive been told they are not road legal here in the UK.

If you are looking for a better looking rear, get a LED tail light. I have one fitted and it looks great and is much brighter than the standard light.

As far as the fittment of the LED Tail lights, the place I bought mine from said they are all the same fitment from 2004 to 2008.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. I actually just heard back from the seller that the integrated tail lights are in fact NOT road legal. Would you please post photos of your LED tail lights and signals thanks!:thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm installing a Clear Alternatives integrated tail/stop/flasher light unit next weekend. I got it to supplement the aftermarket rear LED flashers that I've installed on my bike.
I'll post a report with pics once it's installed.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I'm installing a Clear Alternatives integrated tail/stop/flasher light unit next weekend. I got it to supplement the aftermarket rear LED flashers that I've installed on my bike.
I'll post a report with pics once it's installed.

Sweet. Can you get us some 'use in daylight' pics? Very curious to see if they have improved the light output at all.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet. Can you get us some 'use in daylight' pics?

Certainly! If I've got any doubts about the visibility of this unit in daylight, the OEM light gets reinstalled. I have 'smoked' lenses on my rear LED flashers, and they don't seem too bright compared with the OEM flashers....although even from 200 yards away they are quite visible in daylight. I may install clear lens flashers once I have the CA tail light installed.

Boneman said:
Very curious to see if they have improved the light output at all.

My daughter-in-law's cousin has a Speed Triple that came with an integrated tail light, and I must say that I found it strange at first when I was following him...It was bright enough, but there was just too much going on with the tail light and at first it appeared to me to be just a bunch of flashing lights with no particular meaning.
What it did do, however, was get my attention in the first place, which was interesting. Anyhow....we'll see. :)

Oh...edited to add: Hey Boneman...what's your thoughts on installing amber pod lights that work as both running lights and flashers, flashing simultaneously with the Watsen LED front flashers? I've got the R1 sockets on order (part number from your website...thanks!)

Last edited:

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
pics or even a video would be nice to see, I dont see how this mod with a splitter to keep the original or other after market turn signals could be bad. It looks pretty nice on the silver bikes for sure. I also kinda like the stock with my better handling red bike but would like to see it on the red.

+1 - I like the tag bracket idea for extra lights!

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
That's why I launched the rear reflector for a dedicated brake lamp. Now, much like a cage they get to see a light come on that only works with the brake. Even got stopped by a cop in Riverside California that rides an R6 or so he said. He wanted to know how I did it because it worked so well. Ya gotta give them folks something different to look at. Something that catches their eye. Otherwise they tend to catch you and that hurts.....

Any chance you have a pic of the extra brake light in place? did you tie straight into the wiring for the stock brake lamp or did you run a separate ckt for that?

Thanks in advance!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe I can post a pic later. The one that I took is overexposed. But, here's a link License Plate Frames that shows the product I installed. I know a few other outfits sell it (Custom Dynamics?) I got mine off ebay. It's the black single LED frame with the excellent flush mounting black hardware and clear lens cover. I hard wired it by splicing/soldering and t-tapping into the tail/brake/ground wires under the left side cover. I had to shrinkwrap/lengthen the wires and incorporate/route them with the stock license plate light wire over the fender. I installed it so the LED bar is on the bottom (so to not clash with the stock light illuminating the license plate) There was no room for error since there's only about 1 inch (1.33 centimeter?) or so between the wires and the hot undertail exhaust. The LED license plate frame tail/brake light is really bright when viewed from directly behind. The brake LED glows extremely bright. As with many LEDS, the intensity diminishes substantially when viewed from an angle. But, it's WAY more effect/brilliance when viewed directly from behind...which, I think, dramatically inproves the FZ6 rear when braking and night riding. It's also nice to have a back-up system in case the other burns out or something. I'll try again to post a picture (but maybe only a daytime one)

Last edited:

mickey3895

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

i could not find the right answer for this question:Are the ligts same for all models from 2004-2008?I have a 2007 S2 model, but on e-bay (in Germany) they are just offering the led lights for models 2005-2006.

regards

Mickey:Flash:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I say that they're all the same. Sometimes website aren't updated to include the newer models. As far as the tailight, correct me if I'm wrong, FZ6-Forum members, but aren't they all the same?