Need some help here...

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright for starters, I'm not too electrically-savvy, but I felt I'd give putting in an LED integrated tail light a shot. Everything was going smooth until it came time to hook up the turn signals. Everything else is just fine, but I don't have the slightest clue how to hook them up:confused: Can anyone out there help? A picture or 2 would be awesome

here's a link to the taillight (i chose to go with the smoke one but its all the same parts)

03-08 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 600 CLR LED Tail Light + Signals: eBay Motors (item 110545534130 end time Jun-14-10 15:47:41 PDT)

Last edited:

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, link does not provide enough information to tell you what you need to do. Can you post a picture of what back of the LED board is like? What kind of wires/plugs coming out of it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many wires are coming out of the unit?

Also,are you keeping your regular directional lamps on the back of the bike?

Last edited:

bjohn913

Reaction score
Visit site
How many wires are coming out of the unit?

Also,are you keeping your regular directional lamps on the back of the bike?

There are two wires coming out of the back, one for each turn signal. Don't know about taking the stock signals off...will it be easier to do without them on?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, this may vary because I don't your exact wire pin out on this lamp but it should be close because you have 4 discrete signals plus the ground that this unit needs to function properly. That should be 5 wires. If you have 7 wires then you need to use the ground path for each directional. If you could post a picture of the wires it would be helpfull.
I'm posting up a little schematic I whipped up in CAD. You should have a minimum of 5 wires coming out of the unit. The load resistors won't be needed because you are keeping your original signals lamps. If you change the OEM signal lamps to LED's later, then swap out the original flasher assembly for an electronic one. They're not expensive.
Good Luck!

Edit: Make sure your signals are flashing in the front and that you haven't popped a fuse...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two wires coming out of the back, one for each turn signal. Don't know about taking the stock signals off...will it be easier to do without them on?

I'll assume your talking about the turn signal wires. There should be more wires coming from the tail lamp assembly.
My personal opinion is keep your stalk type signals. Cagers really don't discriminate that you're turning from a brake light signal as well as they will from your stalk type signal. That's probably why it's not legal in many places.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also...Do you have those resistors hooked in series with the directionals? Leave the resistors out. You won't need them and if you do have to fast a flash rate, just change out the flasher. The resistors kind of ruin the whole concept of the power saving we gain when using LED's

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it the same as the light in this thread? Looks like it comes prewired with a connector to plug into the existing tail light socket so that takes care of running light, brake and ground. So then it make sense there's only two wires, one for each blinker. Just splice them into the existing blinker wires.

Right rear blinker wire should be Dark Green
Left rear blinker wire should be "Chocolate"

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/27792-i-need-clear-taillight-installation-instructions.html

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Probably won't make it any easier either way. You'll still have to splice wires. I would leave them. I agree that just an integrated tail light doesn't make it very easy for cagers to see your intentions. The stalk ones make it very clear.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Checkout my site link in my signature for how I did it. Basically you will need to patch them into the positive connection for each indicator. Check it first! Soldering is better than the rubbish red things they give you as it won't break/rust/short/come off!