So cal ride sept 12 (NOW WITH PICS!!!)

A suggestion to those who plan on making this entire ride:
Bring a tail/tank/back pack to carry at least 2 bottles of water or sports fluid. The temperatures will be high and the humidity low all day with a peak in Borrego Springs of 105°F. Dehydration will cause all kinds of problems that are unnecessary.

Be responsible for your own safety.

Thank you John.

From what I understand pre-hydration is very important. Ask our military troops about that. There's an example of being 'Geared up'.
I can tell you personally that pre-hydration makes a difference. My loving wife makes me water mixed with organic Chia seeds. Haha, yeah, I'm a big homeopathic medicine 'crash test dummy'. I drink it before I ride.
I have 2 piece leather so can dress with a mesh jacket on those super hot days. I've been riding all summer east of here and can tell you I haven't come back without having to wring out my under garments. Since I make it a habit now of drinking well before my rides, I don't feel so beat coming off them. It seems to make a real difference.

Here's a little info that's more based on running tips but when you consider how we're geared up ambient temps on asphalt, even though we're not running, we're sweating.

RRCA HOT WEATHER RUNNING TIPS
Running in the heat of summer can be dangerous if proper precautions and preparations are not followed. The
Road Runners Club of America recommends the following hot weather running tips.
1. Avoid dehydration!!! You can lose between 6 and 12 oz. of fluid for every 20 minutes of running.
Therefore it is important to pre-hydrate (10-15 oz. of fluid 10 to 15 minutes prior to running) and drink
fluids every 20-30 minutes along your running route. To determine if you are hydrating properly, weigh
yourself before and after running. You should have drunk one pint of fluid for every pound you're
missing. Indications that you are running while dehydrated are a persistent elevated pulse after
finishing your run and dark yellow urine. Keep in mind that thirst is not an adequate indicator of
dehydration.
Visit Gatorade Endurance’s site at Gatorade® Performance Series - Endurance. You will find great tools for developing a
hydration strategy and coupons for Gatorade Endurance.
To stay hydrated on your run, consider using one of the many products designed by FuelBelt, Inc, “The
Official Hydration Delivery System of the RRCA”.
2. Avoid running outside if the heat is above 98.6 degrees, body temperature, and the humidity is above
70-80%. While running, the body temperature is regulated by the process sweat evaporating off of the
skin. If the humidity in the air is so high that it prevents the process of evaporation of sweat from the
skin, you can quickly overheat and literally cook your insides from an elevated body temperature.
3. When running, if you become dizzy, nauseated, have the chills, or cease to sweat…. STOP RUNNING,
find shade, and drink water or a fluid replacement drink such as Gatorade. If you do not feel better, get
help. Heatstroke occurs when the body fails to regulate its own temperature, and the body temperature
continues to rise. Symptoms of heatstroke include mental changes (such as confusion, delirium, or
unconsciousness) and skin that is red, hot, and dry, even under the armpits. Heatstroke is a lifethreatening
medical emergency, requiring emergency medical treatment. For more information and
symptoms of heatstroke visit 7 Tips to Prevent Dehydration in Children.
4. Run in the shade whenever possible avoid direct sunlight and blacktop. When you are going to be
exposed to the intense summer rays of the sun, apply at least 15 spf sunscreen and wear protective
eyewear that filters out UVA and UVB rays. Consider wearing a visor that will shade your eyes and skin
but will allow heat to transfer off the top of your head.
5. If you have heart or respiratory problems or you are on any medications, consult your doctor about
running in the heat. In some cases it may be in your best interests to run indoors. If you have a history
of heatstroke/illness, run with extreme caution.
6. Children should run in the morning or late afternoon hours, but should avoid the peak heat of the day to
prevent heat related illnesses. It is especially important to keep children hydrated while running and
playing outdoors in the heat.
7. DO wear light colored breathable clothing. DO NOT wear long sleeves or long pants or sweat suits.
Purposefully running in sweat suits hot days to lose water weight is dangerous!
8. Plan your route so you can refill water bottles or find drinking fountains. City parks, local merchants,
and restaurants are all good points to incorporate on your route during hot weather running. Be sure to
tell someone where you are running how long you think you will gone, and carry identification.
Stay hydrated, cool, and safe this summer!

I've heard that desert dwellers in other countries are surprised at what our troops are capable of because of pre-hydration techniques.

Looking forward to seeing you all out there.

Cliff

Last edited:
Additionally to per-hydrating with the water and Organic Chia seeds there can be a downside if you're really sweating and take your helmet off....you may not get it back on again.....Ch Ch Ch Chia! LOL!

Will be looking for you nOODLE!

Cliff

Look for this lid :cheer:

attachment.php

Look for this lid :cheer:

attachment.php

Love that scooter. Funny thing is that's how I ended up getting the FZ6. was looking at scooters and the price was so high on them. Being I had past motorcycle experience, I opted for a few more bucks and my FZ6 won against the Suzy 650F I was thinking about. Still would like a Big Ruckus to zip to the store on.

Cliff

I would still like to know what kind of mileage you're looking at from the start point to the end point. From there, I can make my decision whether I'm capable of doing the ride.

And for the end point, will it be the same location, or will it be more towards the North which I am hoping for. Ending at the same start point or even farily south might just be too much for me to do in one day. Afterall, it's almost 300 miles right from the get go for me to get to that start point.

I would still like to know what kind of mileage you're looking at from the start point to the end point. From there, I can make my decision whether I'm capable of doing the ride.

And for the end point, will it be the same location, or will it be more towards the North which I am hoping for. Ending at the same start point or even farily south might just be too much for me to do in one day. Afterall, it's almost 300 miles right from the get go for me to get to that start point.

Okay I finally got to sit down here and do some research. The mileage I've ended up with includes some multiple up and downs for South Grade, Banner Grade and Montezuma Valley Rd.. My estimate is 225 miles. This can vary because temperature permitting we can vary our route a little and chop a few miles off. I would allow for the 225 miles. Geez! 300 plus miles to the starting point and then home again on top of this ride is a mega ride for the day and it not just straight miles. I will personally ride you back to the end/begin point but you might, depending on the desert temps, not want to take a shorter route.

By shorter route:You should be able to see your way back from Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs. Head east from Christmas Circle toward the Salton Sea go north on 86s hook up north on 111 to the 10 frwy. I'm assuming you have it down from the 10 frwy.

Either way you are going to be doing battle on this journey and my first instinct is to say unless you stay the night and head back the next day you are risking a lot of fatigue. Obviously no one needs to school you about safety issues.

I hope I've helped you on this decision.
Cliff

My beautiful wife (It's hard to sleep at night cuz she also glows in the dark) and I went for a little cruise on part of the planned ride yesterday (Mon.).

The mountain areas were really nice and warm but not hot as it's been for weeks. We dropped into the Anza Borrego Desert. Hot but bearable as long as you keep moving. No traffic lights where we'll be riding. Haha. Hopefully we'll be seeing a cooling trend and get a break for some really nice weather.

Look forward to seeing some of your funny looking mugs!

Cliff

My beautiful wife (It's hard to sleep at night cuz she also glows in the dark) and I went for a little cruise on part of the planned ride yesterday (Mon.).

The mountain areas were really nice and warm but not hot as it's been for weeks. We dropped into the Anza Borrego Desert. Hot but bearable as long as you keep moving. No traffic lights where we'll be riding. Haha. Hopefully we'll be seeing a cooling trend and get a break for some really nice weather.

:D Look forward to seeing some of your funny looking mugs! :eek:

Cliff

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing you guys. As mentioned before, pack some fluids to drink during the down town guys, it's gonna be warm and we don't need anyone getting dehydrated during the ride.

One last role call..

Meet @ mobile gas station ( 15 & 76 just west of 15) at 9am

1. Smokenu - Dave ( black 2008 )

look foward to the ride and meeting all of you

1. Smokenu - Dave ( black 2008 )
2. Cali Rider - John (blue 2006)
3. Wavex - David (Buell)
4. rsw81 - Rob (Street Triple)

Roll Call for Saturday's Ride:

1. Smokenu - Dave (black 2008)
2. Cali Rider - John (blue 2006)
3. Wavex - David (Buell)