So cal ride sept 12 (NOW WITH PICS!!!)

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the plan
Sept 12

> All rider's Meet @ Mobile Station (76 & 15 freeway)
> Time ? LA Riders with you having the bulk of the ride what's a good time to meet?
> Ride Palomar Mtn
> Ride to Julian for lunch
> As a group plan the rest of the ride at lunch.

please confirm you can make it. This way I can put together a list of riders to ensure we all make safely. No rider gets left behind:Sport:

look forward to the ride and meeting all of you:D
Dave

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the plan
Sept 12

> Time ? LA Riders with you having the bulk of the ride what's a good time to meet?
> Ride Palomar Mtn

please confirm you can make it. This way I can put together a list of riders to ensure we all make safely. No rider gets left behind:Sport:

Dave

I'm 90% sure I am not working that weekend, so count me in. Final say will be as the date approaches and as the woman "lets" me out of my cage.

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! Palomar and Julian ride. Thanks for organizing Smokenu! I'm in for the ride. I have a buddy coming too. Should be a fun time!

-West

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in for this ride.

Is this just west of the 15 fwy?

I can be there by 9:00AM if you want to start early.

> Ride Palomar Mtn

Post a Goggle map of the proposed route so we can discuss and finalize before we ride. This will be a nice day.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How's the smoke going to affect you?

No smoke down here yet. It's pretty nice this year in SD. Yeah, that can change really quick during our fire season. I've seen a lot of smoke last week to the west of us, over the ocean. Blood red sunsets. Been a little hotter and muggier than usual here. How's it out by you Pete?

Cliff

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Chatterbox? Maybe those of us that have communications can coordinate?

I also have 2 hand helds I can loan out.

Cliff

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in for this ride.

Is this just west of the 15 fwy?

I can be there by 9:00AM if you want to start early.

Post a Goggle map of the proposed route so we can discuss and finalize before we ride. This will be a nice day.

We'll be heading East of the 15 freeway. So if you Google the intersection of rt.76 and the 15 frwy, we'll head east till we hit South Grade. at Palomar Mountain. We can take South Grade up and down a couple of times, depending on how every one is doing, then head down East Grade to 76 again where we can continue Eastward toward Santa Ysabel and then up a few miles into Julian.
We can do a head count and make sure we have everyone on each leg of the ride.

Here's a map of the Palomar part of the ride. This is a really fun ride.

Cliff

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main...-southern-ca-fz6-forum-members-meet-up-3.html

Here's a link from last year's ride. If you scroll through to the middle of the thread you will see that a route had been layed in great detail. Showing what the route will be, how many miles the ride will be, etc. etc.

This will help me determine if I want to commit. I'm guessing it's going to be about a 800 mile turnaround for me. Pretty much almost the same route but in reverse, maybe ending up in Redland.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
We'll be heading East of the 15 freeway. , we'll head east till we hit South Grade. at Palomar Mountain. Here's a map of the Palomar part of the ride. This is a really fun ride.

Cliff

Palomar Mountain---isn't that the place where that gigantic "Station?" fire is supposed to threatening to run up and torch 50%+ of L.A.'s broadcast/transmission towers along with the world-famous Polomar Observatory? And no containment date until much later...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Palomar Mountain---isn't that the place where that gigantic "Station?" fire is supposed to threatening to run up and torch 50%+ of L.A.'s broadcast/transmission towers along with the world-famous Polomar Observatory? And no containment date until much later...

You're from California?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/main...-southern-ca-fz6-forum-members-meet-up-3.html....Here's a link from last year's ride. If you scroll through to the middle of the thread you will see that a route had been layed in great detail. Showing what the route will be, how many miles the ride will be, etc. etc.

We'll be heading East of the 15 freeway. So if you Google the intersection of rt.76 and the 15 frwy, we'll head east till we hit South Grade. at Palomar Mountain. We can take South Grade up and down a couple of times, depending on how every one is doing, then head down East Grade to 76 again where we can continue Eastward toward Santa Ysabel and then up a few miles into Julian.
We can do a head count and make sure we have everyone on each leg of the ride.

Here's a map of the Palomar part of the ride. This is a really fun ride.

Cliff
Yes, I'm very aware of the roads in the Northern San Diego County area, I've been there 1 or 100 times. :rolleyes: I'm just asking for clarification for OTHER riders so they can decide whether to make this trip or not. I can get there and back on my own.
However, my questions were-
1. "Where is this "Mobile" station?" Is it west or east of the 15/76 intersection?
2. Why wait to "plan the rest of the ride" per the original post?

Here's the plan
Sept 12

> Ride Palomar Mtn

Dave

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

No. Palomar Mountain is South of LA... the Fires are North of LA. For the fires to reach Palomar, LA would have to burn first :)

You're thinking of the Wilson Observatory... which is in the Angeles Crest Forest North of LA... and yes, we'd be f_ed if all the com towers were to get wiped out! I think they have a good buffer zone now protecting the infrastructure up there... we shall see.

About the ride, if we have a bunch of people from different parts of CALI joining in, I would agree with John that planning the whole ride now may save us time and a headache during Lunch... I only know Palomar and the way to get there, so do you guys have other recommendations? let's throw them out there and decide together!
Can't wait to ride and meet you guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I'm very aware of the roads in the Northern San Diego County area, I've been there 1 or 100 times. :rolleyes: I'm just asking for clarification for OTHER riders so they can decide whether to make this trip or not. I can get there and back on my own.
However, my questions were-
1. "Where is this "Mobile" station?" Is it west or east of the 15/76 intersection?
2. Why wait to "plan the rest of the ride" per the original post?

Sorry, the mobile station is West of the 15 on 76. "Plan the rest of the ride" was probably in consideration of people in the group that will have ridden a long distance to start with and may not want to continue or do something else or head home. :surrender:

Cliff

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No. Palomar Mountain is South of LA... the Fires are North of LA. For the fires to reach Palomar, LA would have to burn first :)

You're thinking of the Wilson Observatory... which is in the Angeles Crest Forest North of LA... and yes, we'd be f_ed if all the com towers were to get wiped out! I think they have a good buffer zone now protecting the infrastructure up there... we shall see.

About the ride, if we have a bunch of people from different parts of CALI joining in, I would agree with John that planning the whole ride now may save us time and a headache during Lunch... I only know Palomar and the way to get there, so do you guys have other recommendations? let's throw them out there and decide together!
Can't wait to ride and meet you guys!

Yes, I agree we should plan out the entire ride and then if someone needs to break off they can boogie on their own. This is going to be fun meeting a bunch of you folks.

Cliff

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, yeah, but north. I'd join up with you guys but I'm working Saturday, Sept 12.

Okay....Did you ever see the movie, "The Great Santini"? Where Robert Duvall does the soup trick? Just go into work and do the throw up trick!. All you need is a can O soup. Vegetable beef is good! LOL! C'mon Man!

Cliff

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, this is starting to look like a decent sized group. I'll definitely make the time for this now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, Smokenu has asked me to make up some map plans for the ride. I assume that all are capable of making it to the intersection of the 15 freeway and rt.76 The Mobile gas station meeting point will be just west on 76 (visible).
I'll try to include relative info for those that are not familiar with these routes.
I will also research emergency agencies related to our routes and post them in the near future. I'll be using channel 5 and group 15 FRS/GMRS for communications for those capable. This is also a channel used by SoCal Riders Group here locally. An alternate channel 5 group 21 is also used and this might be handy if needed.

Here we go...from the Mobile station we head east on 76 through the Pala reservation area to South Grade at Palomar. We turn left up the grade. It might be a good to keep alert and easy on the way up so as to learn our course. There can be rock sand oil so let's be experienced up this grade. Just so you're not surprised and depending on your experience, there will be some "fast movers" on this so give your self time going up this to digest it and get a feeling for it. We'll exit South Grade left and a few hundred feet to Mother's Kitchen parking lot. There will be lots of bikes there. Then maybe we can go down and up South Grade a couple of times. South Grade is only about 6.8 miles. You will love it!
There are a lot of motosport photographers on this road. My son was caught off guard wondering what some guy was pointing at me as he moved in for a shot of me in a hairpin turn.

When we're ready for lunch we'll head down East Grade. This is a really nice ride with more open turns and scenery with a great view of Lake Henshaw below. There's a turnout for some nice above lake photo's. Continue to Rt.76 where we will turn left. continue until rt 79 where we turn right and head to Santa Ysabel and then we turn left onto rt 78 and up the mountain to Julian. Lunch Time! Apple Pie?! Yay!

From Julian we travel to Banner Grade (rt 78 on the other side of the mountains toward the desert) and can ride that a few times. Then all the way back wence we came toward Lake Henshaw only we don't turn left we stay on rt 79 till we come to San Felipe Rd.(sorry I spelled it wrong on the map) We make a right onto San Felipe and travel till we come to Montezuma Valley Rd. where we'll turn left. This is one of my favorite rides because of the big sweepers and incredible views. Once through the lil town of Ranchita (You'll see the Yeti) we will be dropping into Borrego Springs. You'll be essentially seeing the desert floor from about 4 thousand feet or more at times. The desert floor is at times below sea level. Again there are pull outs so we can take some great pics. Montezuma is a more open sweeping road with a few tighter turns but if you haven't ridden it yet, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'm sure there will be some more input and good ideas on this but we can start with this and hone it or leave as is.

Okay I laid out some maps....
Cliff

Last edited: