Aug 16 - So Cal "Border Patrol" Ride

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, I'm riding tomorrow your direction. Almost had to scuttle mission after shorting out a electrical lighting circuit just this evening. A little nervous but I remembered where the fuses are for FZ6 taillight. A blew a 10 amp (in that little "tail" fuse box) while trying to figure out my $#$%license plate light blowing out all the #$$^$$time. You emailed me 2 or so years ago but this problem still haunts me. I'm going to have to do Fridday night riding through LA w/o illuminated license plate. Anyway, nice that Yamaha included a spare 10 amp fuse and I'm good to go (but now should quickly buy some 10 and 20n amp fuses for contingency).

Sad to learn about Evan and he being probably now knocked out now. It was cool meeting him at Lefty's BD bash.

Okay, hope to rendez-vous with all Hoons Sat morning!

Hey! I know a guy who's pretty good at electrical stuff! :rolleyes: Can you and I get some face time before Sat. morning? I think I remember you saying you have family in Carlsbad about 30 minutes up the 5 from my house. Keep it the rated fuse. Bumping it up can harm wiring and if it's a dead short a 20 won't keep you going but will cause the wire to heat longer. Get the bike to me even if it's after the ride.... :)

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Verharen.... When are you rolling out? Should we meet at the little convince store again? I'm assuming were all netting up at the mirra Mesa shell, or Greenfield?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also I have the spot tracking set up for Verharen so she can see where we're at.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to track us. It won't be active till we start the ride on Saturday morning.
SPOT Shared Page

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Verharen.... When are you rolling out? Should we meet at the little convince store again? I'm assuming were all netting up at the mirra Mesa shell, or Greenfield?

67 will be shorter for both of you but Jen won't be meeting with us till later in the ride unless something has changed.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I should read everything before commenting. Lol. For more acronyms-- TGIF. I havnt had a Sat. Off in some time. I feel like going on vacation. I will meet you all at GreenFeild. What time should I be there.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I know a guy who's pretty good at electrical stuff! :rolleyes: Can you and I get some face time before Sat. morning? I think I remember you saying you have family in Carlsbad about 30 minutes up the 5 from my house. Keep it the rated fuse. Bumping it up can harm wiring and if it's a dead short a 20 won't keep you going but will cause the wire to heat longer. Get the bike to me even if it's after the ride.... :)

Cliff, thanks! Yeah, aware fuse protocol. Mentioned 20 amp because I noticed that FZ6 uses a few of them and just want to stock up on both, 10 & 20. Blew fuse because of being careless with probes. Maybe I can explain better on Sat.

See everybody Sat, 9:00 am Mira Mesa Shell.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, thanks! Yeah, aware fuse protocol. Mentioned 20 amp because I noticed that FZ6 uses a few of them and just want to stock up on both, 10 & 20. Blew fuse because of being careless with probes. Maybe I can explain better on Sat.

See everybody Sat, 9:00 am Mira Mesa Shell.

My house is down the street from the Shell meetup so if you're an early riser come and get some killer espresso here. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can head over a bit early to help with your electrical woes. Being an EE, it would reflect badly on me if I couldn't fix it. :)

Thanks Patrick! I've looked at the schematics and the same fuse feeds the flasher relay. The front directional lights (OEM) also have the running light circuit and even though the tail light/ plate light seem to be popping the fuse, there may be another issue. That buss is front to back on the bike. :)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, here's an updated list as of today, 8-15

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x (last minute maybe)
Tailgate
ENG (maybe?)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos for Tailgate making the trip down!
Thanks, Kenny. About 500 miles, 8 hours. In Carlsbad this evening. See Border Patrol Hoons tomorrow at 9AM.

Cliff, I love espresso---don't seem to have your cell. Can you PM it and maybe I can take you up on espresso offer. License plate light must be burning out prematurely because of intermittant open or something else. But, it's not very serious (unless it ends up a reason for a CHP pullover). But, today, the license plate light lasted 8 hours (and still going!)Maybe it's because I mixed LED running lights???

No BFD because main thing is to RIDE Border Patrol tomorrow.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Yeah it was a great ride I'm sure there will be pics soon. Tailgate came to my place and we had a beer and some espresso. Then he headed to his brothers in Carlsbad. Great day riding with a little hooning here and there.Blah

Some areas were pretty hot and that will take a little out of you. Cali rider and Jblk9695 had a ways to go after the ride and I ended up cooking dinner and I'm Just now getting ready to put my bike up for the nite.

Great day and great riders and friends! :)

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Here is a link to my Photobucket album.
I managed a little over 400 miles and sure did feel good as I went up 18 into the cool air of the mountains. Was just a tad warm on 94, especially when we stopped by the border, then the heat really was noticeable, not as hot a Borego though.
Riding Old Hwy 80 and going through the border check point was a lot easier than riding the freeway, that check point sucks.
Too much FUN.
And check out Cliff watering the rocks and Spencer being, well, SpencerBlah

Border Patrol Ride Photos by Jblk9695 | Photobucket

Jerry

Last edited: