Significant drop in milage

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to consistently get 42mpg on the FZ6, however the past few tanks I've only been getting 36, low enough to where I think something is wrong. I've checked the fluids, oil is new, tire pressure is fine. The only thing that's changed is that I've moved to a new city, would the huge drop in elevation change something that the bike's computer hasn't compensated for? My next step was to unplug the battery to reset.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I really can't answer you if it's running fine. While I usually average right around 53 mpg mine varies occasionally for NO apparent reason. I have gotten as high as 60 when I really "babied it" and I have gotten as low as 32 but nearly always it's in the high 40's to low 50's. (Case in point: I took it out Saturday. I hit 140 mph right off, (after it had warmed up). Afterwards I spooled it up over 100 four more times. Later that day I cruised for a couple or three miles around 123 - 125 mph. At the end of the day I had logged only around 70 miles or so. I topped it off again near home and still got 53 mpg!) I have experimented with higher octane verses "regular" and can discern no particular increase I mileage or horsepower.
(I DID just change my oil. Mobil-1 10W-40 motorcycle synthetic : )
What DOES seem to affect it more than anything is "gagging it" or really winding it up tight through the gears. (So many gears so little time.... : )
As far as your bike goes, if it's not overdue for a valve adjustment, plug replacement, or if your air filter isn't plugged then perhaps it was the move? I doubt that it's you and I doubt that anything on your bike has changed that radically this quickly so it may be the location, (or their local fuel supplier)?
If it's like mine (no rhyme or reason) the next time you fill it up maybe it will back to where it used to be? Good luck!

One other thing: Maybe a leak has developed somewhere?

Last edited: