04 FZ6 Dies on throttle - sort of

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ 09 = Battery voltage - track actual battery voltage. Which in your case it looks low!

Yes, without a better diagnostic tool, the TPS can not be ruled out by reading the numbers from the display.

Q? On both of these bikes, what is the battery condition? Does it crank briskly (fast)?

Also, a gauge can be rented for testing. IIRC it was said that it pulls good @WOT up to 13k, so one would think it has fuel pressure. I would find a way to measure fuel pressure and voltage supplied at the pump.

Q? Have you taken EVERY electrical connection apart and inspected them?

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, my bike cranks pretty fast, usually in about 1 sec.
If that is the battery reading it would have been low because I was messing around with stuff for quite a bit.
My bike just hit 12.5k and i've had it since 5k, I'm not ruling it out but I highly doubt there is any bad electrical connections. Also the plugs I have removed look perfectly fine. I try my best to keep up with maintenance.

Let me know if the TPS fixed your problem. Mine does not show it is up for any recalls when I check the VIN but that doesn't rule it out. Also as stated earlier i plan on changing plugs soon too. so if TPS fixed yours then I'll just go ahead and do both at the same time.

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently the TPS part has been superceded 3-4 times. He thought I may be on the second revision. Mines an 04 though... Idk what yours would be at.
And yeah, most of the time the bike is fine, it's just from low in the rpms where it gets sluggish. WOT to red line it pulls great. Just slow on until you get past 3-4k. Then let'r rip.

Sent from my Droid Turbo.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa! Did you link the right part? Thats listed as a mercury part and for over $1200 that cant be right can it?
Also my bike is an 07 but like I said when I checked VIN it said no recalls.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa! Did you link the right part? Thats listed as a mercury part and for over $1200 that cant be right can it?
Also my bike is an 07 but like I said when I checked VIN it said no recalls.

The TPS is no where near $1200.00 and it wasn't re-called for the 07 model. That doesn't mean it can't fail..

Now you can adjust the TPS slightly higher, over 100 W/O issue. That will tell the ECU the throttle is open further and allow slightly MORE fuel at the same RPM (if its a lean condition).

The procedure won't hurt anything. The dealership, per mama Yamaha had them adjust my FJR up some(think it was 102 or so) when I had an issue(that was NOT the issue and it did have the TPS re-call done. The 2004 was EXTREMELY LEAN below 3,000 RPM, (actually surged 75% of the time) BUT did not hesitate like yours..

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I didn't link anything.. Those links are ads. Avoid those like the plague. They usually have 2 lines under them and pop up a box if your mouse touches them, even without clicking.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I didn't link anything.. Those links are ads. Avoid those like the plague. They usually have 2 lines under them and pop up a box if your mouse touches them, even without clicking.

F*&^! Androids and their stupid ads....:spank:
Yea, I see now that I am on my glorious PCMasterrace. LOL :rockon:
How many TPS does the bike have 1 or 4?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I'm not brave enough for this. LOL! Maybe if I can get one of my buddies to help me that is a bit more knowledgeable on the subject but I'm not taking on this project myself.
Also this may help.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

I should havd linked the 3rd post... But your link has the same info. So, a K&N filter. Good to know... Id pull it, throw the lid on it and test it. Maybe clean it and oil it very lightly....

When rip the throttle open, intake vacuum goes to zero and that stalled air needs to start moving. Now i cant imagine the filter alone is it. But it may be contributing if its over oiled. Granted it may flow more air, but its the instant the throttle is cracked rhatw there is minimal air flow. Q? Yours only does this when cold or hot or
????
Any chance you hve the stock filter handy?

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the long wait.
I do not have the OEM but I can get one in the near future for testing.
My bike does this all the time same issue as yours.3k and bellow is null anything above 3k and its POWER!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the long wait.
I do not have the OEM but I can get one in the near future for testing.
My bike does this all the time same issue as yours.3k and bellow is null anything above 3k and its POWER!!

I'm now wondering if your talking about powerband of the 600 I4? They don't have much pull at low revs because... well ... that's the nature of he motor.

If you're having a fueling problem, that's a different story. Are you having a fuel delivery problem or are you just saying no guts at low rev's.?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm now wondering if your talking about powerband of the 600 I4? They don't have much pull at low revs because... well ... that's the nature of he motor.

If you're having a fueling problem, that's a different story. Are you having a fuel delivery problem or are you just saying no guts at low rev's.?

In post #5 he has a audio/video of the issue.

It has a definite throttle response issue (hesitation when quickly turning the throttle).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In post #5 he has a audio/video of the issue.

It has a definite throttle response issue (hesitation when quickly turning the throttle).
Sorry, I was referring to the quote from dwisen. Didn't know if he was referring to the same problem. I see people say they have the same problem but don't and was trying to clarify. I do know the OP definitely has a fueling problem per the video. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update... Dealer let me take the bike home while he waits for the tps. He had mentioned that overfilling the oil can do this, and indeed, it was overfilled. After making a mess in the garage, it's now filled perfectly. If this was part of the problem, it will need to be burnt off. Or the valves manually cleaned...
Since the problem remains, I'll bring it back in next week (enjoy it over the 4th) for the TPS. As of now, my bill is 0. We'll see what the tps/installation costs.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I was referring to the quote from dwisen. Didn't know if he was referring to the same problem. I see people say they have the same problem but don't and was trying to clarify. I do know the OP definitely has a fueling problem per the video. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No problem. This will happen when a thread is merged(un-intentionally by another).

I'd be nice if a SECOND thread was started..

_____________________________________________________________________________________
For x219c, I just came back from a ride on my 07 and tried to duplicate
your issue.

First, I won't rev the engine cold(not sure of yours was warm or not). Once warmed up, NO WAY ,no matter how fast I turned the throttle could I get any bog/hesitation.

I have my idle set at about 1,100 RPM's. On level ground, idling in FIRST GEAR (moving), I can nail it, feel the chain slop tighten up, then the bike jumps and goes VERY quickly(immediately actually) to 4k and of course upwards..

The bike has just over 19,000 miles on the clock and I run Yamaha's Ringfree ALL the time.

I strongly suspect using a heavy does 2-3x's the recommended amount would solve your problem.. A small container is about $25.00.

A whole lot cheaper than your going to pay at the shop...Just my 2cts..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update... Dealer let me take the bike home while he waits for the tps. He had mentioned that overfilling the oil can do this, and indeed, it was overfilled. After making a mess in the garage, it's now filled perfectly. If this was part of the problem, it will need to be burnt off. Or the valves manually cleaned...
Since the problem remains, I'll bring it back in next week (enjoy it over the 4th) for the TPS. As of now, my bill is 0. We'll see what the tps/installation costs.

How much was it overfilled??

BTW, the RF will clean up the excess carbon in the head too.

The TPS is about $147.00 (if they charge you-which is likely), probably an hour labor ($100.00?)

Last edited:

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I am not talking about an 600 I4 at least not that I know of.
Are you talking about an inline 4 cylinder?
I have an 07 FZ6 with the same exact issue.
Checking though I did notice that I am slightly over filled in oil. I too will pull a bit out and give a response in a few days as to how that worked.
Also i have no way of checking fuel pressure because I don't have a gauge, maybe one of my buddies do.
I have heard about the Yamaha's Ringfree but am extremely short on cash right now so that will have to wait for me to try it out.
Before my last oil change I did however run some seafoam in the oil and gas to clean everything. The seafoam was ran in the dirty oil then the oil was changed if you were wondering.

Last edited: