04 FZ6 Dies on throttle - sort of

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forums and the FZ6...

I'll start by saying that the bike's great so far. This is the only problem I've been able to find, really.

The bike starts fine, and if I'm slow on the throttle at first, everything's good. If I, for instance, wanted to spin the wheel in the grass, or on gravel or something and dump the throttle when going 5mph... The power just cuts out. If I get it to maybe 4k or so, then give it, no problems. It's only on the very low end. This is whether it's in gear, or neutral. So, if I try to rev it real quick while in neutral, it will bog right down. Take it slow for the first 2k, then it opens right up...

I hope I'm describing the problem well enough... I've had it where I'm trying to get into traffic quick (while rolling, at about 5mpg) and it just bogs if I'm not going 10-15mph already. Anything over that and it just screams. No problems (AFAIK) with power or anything like that. It doesn't idle rough, and it never dies coming to an intersection or anything like that.

It has 18k on the clock... I've replaced the air filter, and my VIN is punched (indicating the TPS recall was done, I think) I also ran some seafoam through the gas for a tank, but still the same... As far as mods, the only thing I have on it is a speed healer. Everything else is bone stock.

The only other thing I've noticed, but it hasn't really affected anything (unless they're related) is a small popping sound or something. It's only when it's running pretty hot and it almost sounds like pinging or something. I don't know what it sounds like when an engine isn't detonating correctly, but I started running premium (also, ethanol free) just to see... It still does it from time to time. It doesn't seem to be exhaust... It's almost like when an engine's cooling down and you hear the slight popping from the oil.. But loud enough to hear over the engine while it's running.

Does anyone have any ideas?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being that your bike is an '04, have you gotten your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replaced? It was recalled for your year.

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Being that your bike is an '04, have you gotten your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replaced? It was recalled for your year.

I'm headed to the dealer tonight to pick up a bolt (one's missing from the fuel tank)... I'm going to see if they'll look it up for me while I'm there. My VIN has been punched on the head of the frame, which I thought indicated that the recall had been completed... I'm operating under the assumption that it was completed until I ask later tonight.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you havent changed the plugs, start there, then fuel pressure test.its needs
36psi to run proper...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there black smoke from the exhaust when you crack the throttle? If no black smoke then it sounds like it's leaned out. If there's black smoke your running rich. As FinalImpact stated, start with fresh plugs. Make sure you set them to the FZ6 manual specification and not the way they come in the box.

Even though a TPS has been changed does not mean it hasn't gone bad or been misadjusted so don't completely rule that out.

Put the readout in diagnostic mod and see if the TPS numbers look good.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...?highlight=tps,+TPS,+Throttle+Position+Sensor

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seafoam is good stuff and I think your on the right track there.

After checking the above ( and even if it fixes it) try running "Yamaha's Ringfree" ; https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

Normal use is 1 oz / 10 gallons.

It goes very far. You can easily use it 3x that amount. Its very popular in the marine world. I run it in every gas machine I own. My current full tank on the FZ is 2x the suggested amount.

I suspect its more a fuel issue (new spark plugs never hurt).

The RF will help clean the fuel system and well as the top end. Do a search on it, VERY, VERY GOOD STUFF.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalube-Ring-Additive-ACC-RNGFR-PL-12/dp/B002GU4SN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434194730&sr=8-2&keywords=ringfree"]Amazon.com: Yamaha Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive ACC-RNGFR-PL-12: Automotive[/ame]

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like I have a great starting point here, thank you everyone! It looks like I'll be changing the plugs and have some additives to try. As an aside, it doesn't throw black smoke and it feels like it's just running dry.. Leaning out sounds exactly right. I'll report back with my findings.

Sent from my Droid Turbo.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Help fuel pump fz6 n 2004
It sounds like I have a great starting point here, thank you everyone! It looks like I'll be changing the plugs and have some additives to try. As an aside, it doesn't throw black smoke and it feels like it's just running dry.. Leaning out sounds exactly right. I'll report back with my findings.

Grab a Pressure gauge and do something like this: We need to know the Pressure is Correct!

Can this even be right?

20150415_211838.jpg
Damn fpr wont even hold 20 psi...
20150418_141707.jpg

In this case, the Fuel Pressure Regulator had debris stuck in it, so the injectors were NOT AT 36 PSI. This ruins the fuel map making the bike very lean. I'd guess the probability of yours being low is very high!

Also - look for VACUUM Leaks! = Pull the AIR BOX off and inspect all hoses, T's and fittings, as well boots at the base of the TB's for clamps being tight and no cracks.

Threads:
Starts and Dies. HELP!

Help fuel pump fz6 n 2004

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I’m back… Changed the plugs, and though some of them looked a little off, the problem remains.

It very well could be a lean condition, but I’m not going to mess with the fuel system at this point… I may just bring it in if it’s something with that.

My question would be, if it revs up to 13k with only that problem in the beginning of the rev range, could it still be the fuel? I mean, it gets right up to 120, no problem either, it doesn’t feel starved when I’m not below 3k.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you see if your throttle position sensor is fine by testing it in the Diagnostic mode?
Here is how you get into Diagnostic mode:
- Press both Select+Reset and turn on ignition key. Keep holding the two button until the display shows Diag.
- Once in diagnostic mode, release the two buttons and press them again at the same time(maybe for a couple of seconds)
- Now you should be able to scroll through most of the tests by repeated pressing select/reset button.
As you scroll through, there should be a code (like d1...d2 etc) which should show a value of 16 or 17 (something around that value). Once at this code, you should be able to see the value change if you open/close throttle. It should vary from 16/17 ...to ...99. This will help check that your TPS is fine.

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll check that when I get home tonight... I got into diag but didn't know to push both buttons again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you see if your throttle position sensor is fine by testing it in the Diagnostic mode?
Here is how you get into Diagnostic mode:
- Press both Select+Reset and turn on ignition key. Keep holding the two button until the display shows Diag.
- Once in diagnostic mode, release the two buttons and press them again at the same time(maybe for a couple of seconds)
- Now you should be able to scroll through most of the tests by repeated pressing select/reset button.
As you scroll through, there should be a code (like d1...d2 etc) which should show a value of 16 or 17 (something around that value). Once at this code, you should be able to see the value change if you open/close throttle. It should vary from 16/17 ...to ...99. This will help check that your TPS is fine.

Just to add, you need to have ALL THE #'s inbetween. No skipping or missing #'s. Turning the throttle smooth/slow and you can read them. Any missing, jumps/skips/ etc, its bad..

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked the TPS... Everything was fine there. If it's fuel related, I don't really want to mess with it too much. I think my local Yamaha dealer is a pretty good and reasonable place, so when I was picking up the bolts I ran the situation by them... I showed it to them and he asks if it has any codes. If I'm honest, I've never checked. The CEL has never been on beyond the startup check... He showed me how and it has a code 22. He said he could look at it later in the week and let me know... I figure I could take a few weeks tracking it down, or he could take one... It's worth the money. It's beautiful riding weather here in WI, and I want to miss as little as possible. I'll report back with the outcome once I get there!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked the TPS... Everything was fine there. If it's fuel related, I don't really want to mess with it too much. I think my local Yamaha dealer is a pretty good and reasonable place, so when I was picking up the bolts I ran the situation by them... I showed it to them and he asks if it has any codes. If I'm honest, I've never checked. The CEL has never been on beyond the startup check... He showed me how and it has a code 22. He said he could look at it later in the week and let me know... I figure I could take a few weeks tracking it down, or he could take one... It's worth the money. It's beautiful riding weather here in WI, and I want to miss as little as possible. I'll report back with the outcome once I get there!

I believe that error code is the Air intake temperature sensor error.

You might check to see that all the sensors that are mounted on the air box are plugged in securely and that there are no pinched/shorted wires. There should be a sensor mounted to your air box with a short probe projecting into the air box. This is the air temp sensor. Also trace this wire to see if it goes to the plug where you've done work before. This may be where the problem is. :) If you find it you'll be out riding sooner! Blah

Pvt. Donut

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds similar to what my bike was doing. I had pulled the tank to check the air filter, then went ahead and pulled the intake to adjust and lube the clutch. When I put it back together I forgot to tighten the intake boots. Same throttle response as in your video. Probably sucking air. Check the temp gauge, its a little black plug that fits into the left (from seated position) side of your air filter housing thingy (Intake?). Make sure all the boots are tight. Then give it a ride before testing the throttle. Seems like my bike doesn't love having the gas tank raised and needs a minute to settle before it runs perfectly. Hopefully the issue is something this easy.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
So after having this problem for a while I decided to look into it. This is how I ran across this post.
A slight bit of back story and an obligatory pic first. Blah
eA0lque.jpg

A while back I had changed the clutch cable and I never noticed the problem of the throttle before the cable change but it could have been there. I did not have the bike long at all before I swapped the cable. Swapping that cable means you have to take a whole lot of stuff off. After the swap and after a while and when I was comfortable enough to "have fun" :rockon: is when I fist noticed the problem. That's been a few months back now. :thumbup:

FF>> To present day. :Flash:

I just got done double checking some stuff from the last time I had done that was mentioned in this post as potential problems mainly the vacuum hoses and air box, air filter and diag codes.
I do not have a gauge to see if my fuel pressure is low like in the earlier post but there is a diag mode that turns on the fuel pump and displays 11.8 and does not change with throttle (I wonder is this is a pressure reading?) :confused:
QwTYSMJ.jpg

The diag for the TPS goes cleanly from 16/100 and doesn't skip any numbers.
There are no cracked hoses and the air filter is clean and box is secured correctly. On a side note the air filter is a K&N filter and I wonder if it might be letting too much air pass.
The temp gauge is secure. I have not checked plugs because I need to change them soon and OP checked his and determined that was not a problem. :D

Other than pulling the fuel pump and putting in a new one just to see if that could be an issue, I am completely at a loss and am wondering if is just the way the bike is supposed to be.... I can't imagine that the bike was designed to run this way but I am out of options at this moment. :(

Last edited:

x219c

Reaction score
Visit site
I just spoke with the dealer and he's ordered a tps. He said he's had them test fine and still be faulty. Last thing would be carbon build up due to overfilling the oil.