First proper, proper wheelie

H

HavBlue

If I won the lottery, or not even that really. I would jus love maybe 3-4 acres of land to do my own thing in.
My Father in TX (hilsboro) has twenty acres and my brother and him have a track in the back yard. They also have thses bushes that my dad calls "Screw you bushes" Dad (is a brit so not using correct botanical terms. These bushes have thorns on them that would have Dracula worried. They are so hard that they will pierce a tyre (Tarr [charlie]) with ease. When I was there we spent more time fixing punctures than riding.

Neil, those bushes are quite frequent throughout the United States arid regions and they are often the Cat Claw Acacia or as many of us desert riders call them a "pucker bush." These things have thorns that will flat tear through ride gear and they do draw blood. So. if you do an off and wind up in a pucker bush trust in the fact it is going to hurt.....

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Neil, do like we do, throw the dirt toys on a trailer and tow them 300 miles or more to a place where you can go balls out. How far did you say Scotland was? They got some nice open land up there. Some farmer would love to have the dirt turned up right????

under no circumstances are any wet southerners coming up to my beautiful country to go balls out :p

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't BELIEVE no one has said this yet!

DON'T PRACTICE ON PUBLIC ROADS!!! Are you out of your mind? One mistake and you're not just putting yourself in danger but those around you. Come on!!! Common sense man!

For your OWN safety as well as the safety of others, please move your practice to empty lots!!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't BELIEVE no one has said this yet!

DON'T PRACTICE ON PUBLIC ROADS!!! Are you out of your mind? One mistake and you're not just putting yourself in danger but those around you. Come on!!! Common sense man!

For your OWN safety as well as the safety of others, please move your practice to empty lots!!!!
I didn't mention public road my friend. Thanks for the warning. I use a very quite trading estate near to my work. It is not classed as a public highway. Other than using a runway it is my safest option (I was warned yesterday by the Police) for using a closed shoping centre car park.

Neil

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

I didn't mention public road my friend. Thanks for the warning. I use a very quite trading estate near to my work. It is not classed as a public highway. Other than using a runway it is my safest option (I was warned yesterday by the Police) for using a closed shoping centre car park.

Neil

Hah, that sounds like here. Years ago I was warned by the local police for teaching my daughter how to drive in a high school parking lot during summer break. That thing was so empty the weeds were growing in the cracks......

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Neil

Your OP states the following which sounds a lot like a public road to me... Filtering like a devil to get in front of traffic? What else could one imagine while reading that?

perryn said:
I was coming home from work and was filtering like a devil to get to the front of the traffic.
Just as I got to the front of the que the lights switched to green. I was doing about 10mph and already in first. I set off and cracked open the throttle, immediately the front got light.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your OP states the following which sounds a lot like a public road to me... Filtering like a devil to get in front of traffic? What else could one imagine while reading that?
Yes mate,

You are quite correct about my OP. That was my first ever wheelie. It was not not a planned event and actually took me by suprise.
Since my first one I have only practiced off of public roads. I have lots to lose by gaining a conviction. My RN registaration for one.

quote me from origional post [I can't wait to go and practice on a more appropriate surface and closed area.]
Your origional point has been taken on board and is certainly valid not only to me but to any rider.

Thanks

Neil

Last edited:

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading what you said I started playing around at 10k in first. I can get the front up if I just cruise at a steady 8k then twist my wrist all the way back and it starts up right at 10k. The first time it got more than a few inches off the ground my heart jumped into my throat and I pulled the clutch in (not a soft landing btw). Good to know you can actually power it up though... I was beginning to think it was not possible.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
the definition of a squid varies. If your a sailor, its an invertebrate that swims around the ocean floor eating anything smaller than itself and crapping all over Marine life. It also means someone who rides a sport bike in flip flops in a tee shirt with a hat on backwards and some shades for eye protection. Homeboy means your friend, or someone who has your back, as in you can count on him/her. male homeboy, female homegirl. or you can say homechicken its the same meaning :rockon:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes mate,

You are quite correct about my OP. That was my first ever wheelie. It was not not a planned event and actually took me by suprise.
Since my first one I have only practiced off of public roads. I have lots to lose by gaining a conviction. My RN registaration for one.

quote me from origional post [I can't wait to go and practice on a more appropriate surface and closed area.]
Your origional point has been taken on board and is certainly valid not only to me but to any rider.

Thanks

Neil

Ok... now it makes perfect sense! Sorry about jumping on you like that. And thanks for explaining! ;)

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Clutching in Second is much easier and more controllable than a 1st gear power wheelie I promise. Once you get the hang of clutching it up you will be surprised at how easy wheelies truly are !

I would love to upload a video but (1 i dunno how, (2 I know that i would get bashed by someone because it was filmed on Interstate 540.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutching in Second is much easier and more controllable than a 1st gear power wheelie I promise. Once you get the hang of clutching it up you will be surprised at how easy wheelies truly are !

I would love to upload a video but (1 i dunno how, (2 I know that i would get bashed by someone because it was filmed on Interstate 540.
Instead of posting the video mate, can you just post a talk through?
That would be very helpful. The disadvantage to first gear wheelies is that there is very little time to think about knocking it up a gear. (No I am not at that stage yet).
Wheelies are like golf swings, I tried yesterday and was ****e.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Id like to hear about the second gear wheeli's to. If you could post the video and a talk through that would be supercool. Haha. :rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of posting the video mate, can you just post a talk through?
That would be very helpful. The disadvantage to first gear wheelies is that there is very little time to think about knocking it up a gear. (No I am not at that stage yet).
Wheelies are like golf swings, I tried yesterday and was ****e.

Neil,
did you ever download that "Wheelies for dummies" Movie that i found for you? if so they explain a lot about the different wheelie techniques.

http://24.34.49.185/cgi-bin/download?share=motorcycles&path=/Wheelies for Dummies.avi

Same login as always...