Need Help Fuel and spark but no start.

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year was a bust on this bike 2005 FZ6, Battery was bad didn't feel like dealing with it. Was able to get it to run with a jump from another battery.

Yep killed the Regulator rectifier. So now I've bought a new regulator, and a new battery. Put fuel in it and ...no start.

Yes I have checked spark-That's good
Yes I have checked fuel, it's misting finely into the throttle bodies.

So now what?

I was thinking the Crank sensor could be out of tolerance, so I tried to test that. But the leads are heavily covered with the potting material. I was able to get a measurement to flash only a few times when piercing the wiring somewhere about 130 Ohm.

Is there a proper way to test this sensor? is the magnet screwing with my measurement?

I would think if the Crank sensor was bad I wouldn't see any fuel or spark.

Any advice from here would be great.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if cranks over I would give it a shot of starting fluid in each TB to see if catches for a few cycles. If it does it rules out the CPS, TPS and the like.

What color is the spark (not in direct sunlight)?

How old is the fuel? If it’s the fuel from last summer…there’s your problem.

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried Starting fluid in the throttle bodies. Not a cough. I should mention I did also check both coils, I tested on cyl 3 and 4 to get a look at both. Both were blue when fully charged. I even tested with the lights off in my basement to make sure.

I was leaning toward timing for this reason, but even then I would have expected a backfire or some thing. Fuel is brand new put in yesterday.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the plugs wet?

If you are getting spark and fuel, and the bike ran fine before you fried the R/R, then you probably fried the main harness as well. I would disconnect the connectors at the ECU and look for any signs of over current, i.e brittle wires, burned pins or melted connectors.

What was the condition of the R/R harness…both sides? Did you perform a continuity test on the harness?

With that said, if the plugs are dry, I suspect the fuel pump. Do you hear it priming when you turn on the ignition key? Have you confirmed that there is fuel flow?

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel pump primes, I could see the injectors firing,what looked cleanly; a Fine mist. Rectifier harness/connectors looked fine, but I haven't performed a continuity test on any of the rest of the harness. I did inspect all of the wires and vacuum lines though visually, because I thought maybe mice had gotten to them but all looked well.

I do suspect I measured the Crank sensor wrong, I didn't check the ends of the harness I probed directly at the sensor and I suspect the magnetism from the sensor was giving odd readings so I'll have to check that again...unfortunately I'm about 140 miles away from the bike right now.

Plugs smelled off fuel, but not super wet-still I would think with the ether I would have seen some action.

This is why I typically stick with cars, bikes are certainly not my forte.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you had a Crank Shaft Position sensor problem you'd already have a #12 error code. If you're getting fresh fuel or a hot shot of fuel is failing to give a start you might have a mechanical compression problem, Time to do a compression/leakdown test.

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I had my brother look at the bike look over the bike last weekend and finally a code 12 has popped up for the Crank sensor. So that's good news. Apart from the sensor itself is there anything else that could cause the sensor to read poorly or give this code? Lets assume the connections are clean and corrosion free.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sensors fail. You can confirm that it has failed by checking the resistance @ 248-372 Ω at room temp. Put the positive (+) tester probe on the GRAY wire and the negative (-) probe on the black wire.

If you replace the CPS, be sure to use Titebond/Hondabond/Yamahabond where the harness leaves the case. Don't use RTV.

267nk

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year was a bust on this bike 2005 FZ6, Battery was bad didn't feel like dealing with it. Was able to get it to run with a jump from another battery.

Yep killed the Regulator rectifier. So now I've bought a new regulator, and a new battery. Put fuel in it and ...no start.

Yes I have checked spark-That's good
Yes I have checked fuel, it's misting finely into the throttle bodies.

So now what?

I was thinking the Crank sensor could be out of tolerance, so I tried to test that. But the leads are heavily covered with the potting material. I was able to get a measurement to flash only a few times when piercing the wiring somewhere about 130 Ohm.

Is there a proper way to test this sensor? is the magnet screwing with my measurement?

I would think if the Crank sensor was bad I wouldn't see any fuel or spark.

Any advice from here would be great.
With a "it worked before" & "i only did this"? & now nothing? I'll always go back to what I've last done, & double check good connections, & also check the air filter isn't clogged too.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Ok so I had my brother look at the bike look over the bike last weekend and finally a code 12 has popped up for the Crank sensor. So that's good news. Apart from the sensor itself is there anything else that could cause the sensor to read poorly or give this code? Lets assume the connections are clean and corr
When you have low voltages the ECU can throw codes that are not accurate. These codes get stored but if you're getting a new code 12 it's likely the CPS.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the beginning you said you had spark. If CPS is bad you shouldn't have spark. Probably no FI. Are you sure you have good fuel?

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fuel is brand new. Even though I have the code now, could fail to fire be cause by anything else? Compression is good. Is it possible the CPS isn't fully failed but maybe out of spec? Spark fuel and compression are all good and filter is new.

I'm still leaning towards CPS.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Fuel is brand new. Even though I have the code now, could fail to fire be cause by anything else? Compression is good. Is it possible the CPS isn't fully failed but maybe out of spec? Spark fuel and compression are all good and filter is new.

I'm still leaning towards CPS.
See my reply above (#12)...that is how you check to see if it is out of spec. Out of speck = failed.

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there another name for this part? The dealers I have called don't have a crank position sensor listed. Could it be also called the "pick up assembly'?

harpkatt

Reaction score
Visit site
After a few months of waiting for Yamaha backordered part, I installed the new Crankshaft position sensor. Still no start, I only had about an hour to tinker with it so thats as far as I got. I should have taken a reading on the new sensor before installing. Either way still no start.