First Oh SH*T experience

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming off a stoplight with a line of cars in front..most make it through the like ok, truck in front of me starts moving and gets a little speed, all of a sudden the guy standing at the crosswalk walks out into oncoming traffic. Truck in front of me locks it up, I start stopping then realize I locked up the rear brake as i'm feeling the rear end slide out. Remembered what they told me in the MSF class and just let it slide...stopped about 2 feet from the truck though. Learning experience...leave some more distance between me and other cars and hate people that want to commit suicide!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should thank your Mother.......she probably told you to always "pay attention in class!"

Glad to hear you avoided a potentially nasty road rash! (but you were wearing gear, right?!)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one of those moments on Monday, but it was because I took an "S" turn exit off the highway and did not scrub enough speed coming to the light. I locked up the rear and let it slide, using my weight to keep it from kicking out while applying MORE front brake. I stopped with enough space to spare only thanks to practice in back lots with emergency stops. I learned that while that exit is really fun, I need to be at "X" speed exiting the last corner or face a FAIL.

It happens! Experience is learning from the mistake the first time. Stupidity is making that same mistake again! :thumbup:

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you avoided a potentially nasty road rash! (but you were wearing gear, right?!)

If he wasn't he was very dumb... lucky... but dumb, even more so since he took the MSF course... they preach at you to wear your gear... at least at mine they did... :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
My first "Oh stuff" moment was on my CB160 in 1970. I was getting off the 101 in Santa Barbara county in a rain shower and wasn't experienced at the speed that I hit the exit at. The road had that dangerous film of oil on it that comes up when the road is damp. I low sided and slid into the curb. I was lucky, no injuries or damage. Just a lesson that's still with me today. GRUMPY

danielddye

Reaction score
Visit site
I was also had an unfriendly reminder last night. Went riding with my dad who just purchased a vulcan 900. We were going about 45 down a road and this lady, had to have been drunk, made a right turn into our traffic direction. I passed but she nearly clipped my dad. It wouldn't have been a good experience since he's only owned the bike for a little over a week.

We are always the invisible men.

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I always ride in gear...full face helmet, textile jacket (i don't do leather..), gloves and boots. The only thing i don't use is riding pants, i just wear heavyish jeans. I've gotten laughed at more than once, but i'd rather be sweaty than dead (or red all over!). The jacket is actually very cool once i'm moving even if i have the outer layer on. Sitting at lights gets a little warm now and then though.

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you had a save. I've had plenty of "oh no!" experiences. Most recently it didn't end so well. Recovering from back surgery, etc. Thank God for full gear or I'd be DOA. :)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK.

We had a fatality in Denmark last weekend on the highway close to where I live.
It appears the bike was following the car too closely and the car braked and the bike ran into the back of him.

We have a saying in the UK

"DON`T BE A FOOL; DON`T BREAK THE 2 SECOND RULE"

Always try and leave a 2 second gap. In congested traffic that is difficult but try and leave enough space in front of you that you don`t get smashed into he car in front.

Sometimes you just have to realise that other road users are total idiots and will fill the gaps that you leave but you get used to that....eventually.

Steve

B

bluenova

Did your MSF class also teach you that you need to keep a braking distance relative to the speed you are doing and current friction with the pavement? At 70 km/h (45 mph) your braking distance on a dry surface should be 25 meters.