My FZ1 bar mod experience

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
My Fizzer: 2006 FZ6 in Fastest Red, Top Sellerie seat, Givi touring windscreen, Metzeler Z8 rubber, Speigler brake lines.

I've never liked my FZ6 bars. I always found the angle of the bars was such that only the outside edge of my hands was in contact with the bar unless I consciously flexed my wrists out. Any amount of weight on my hands quickly got real uncomfortable. So I decided to give the FZ1 bar mod a shot.

I ordered an FZ1 bar (Part # 2D1-26111-00) through my local Yamaha dealer. There were cheaper options but those options were in the States and I'm in Canada and Canada Customs just loves charging customs fees on everything ("Free trade? No, no ... it's not for Citizen. Free trade is only for BigCo.")

I am not a mechanic. I don't have a garage to work in. But after spending a prodigious amount at my mechanic's shop prepping the bike for my upcoming trip to Prince Edward Island, I thought I'd do this myself. And everyone here says it's an easy mod, which turned out to be true... mostly.

First up I took some time to loosen the bar end weights (8mm allen key) and handlebar bolts (any flathead screwdriver to remove the caps if you still have them, 6mm allen key for the bolts). They were all pretty tight and I needed some extra leverage to get them moving, for which I was able to use a component from the FZ6 toolkit.

My Haynes manual suggested removing the windshield but I did not find that this was necessary. I did remove the interior plastics. You'll need to do this unless you have a stubby #3 Phillips screwdriver. I don't and the only way to get at the screws for the controls is to create some clearance under the controls by removing the plastics.

Aside: The Haynes manual in an exercise in Inception. The steps for a procedure refer to the steps for other procedures which themselves may refer to other procedures ... Painful. The manual also suggested disconnecting the battery but I did not bother with that (royal pain in the ass on this bike).

So I removed the bar end weights (8mm allen key). I bought new grips so I just cut the old ones off. Then I went to work on the right hand controls. There are two screws (#3 Phillips), one shorter in front, one longer in back, that hold a small panel on the bottom of the right-hand control (kill switch, ignition). Once that panel is off, there is another long screw in the front that holds the two halves of the control unit together. Once that screw is pulled you will be able to separate the two halves of the control unit. Disconnect the brake light switch (clear plastic leads underneath in pic below) and you will be able to slide the throttle and control unit off the bar.

Vuv0Qp9.jpg

Pro tip: Loosen the handlebar bolts enough so you can slide the bar to the left. This will make it much easier (or even possible depending on your cabling) to slide the controls & throttle off the bar. Reverse when working on the left side and use the same technique when installing components on the new bar.

At this point the right hand controls are just left hanging, I left the brake master cylinder in place for now, and went to work on the left.

Again, #3 Phillips screws under the left control unit to separate the halves, disconnect the clutch switch wiring and slide the control unit off the bar. You can loosen the bolt holding the clutch in place (8mm socket or wrench) and slide it off as well. This pic of the clutch switch wiring is crap:

3kMxGPh.jpg

There's a catch you need to depress and then pull the connector out.

Now all that is left is the brake master cylinder. I didn't have anyone standing around to hold it up while I worked so I left it for now. Time to drill a hole in the FZ1 bar.

[Update: After this experience I would be inclined to recommend just cutting or grinding the plastic nub off the right hand control unit. It is not needed and avoids the aggravating mistake of drilling the hole in the wrong place.]

If you look inside the "ring" of the left and right control units, you will see one small plastic nub on each unit that lines up with a matching hole in the FZ6 bar. The FZ1 bar has a matching hole on the left, but the equivalent hole on the right is offset by 90 degrees. Some people doing this mod have just cut the plastic nub off, but drilling an appropriate hole in the FZ1 bar is pretty easy to do.

I have a 14.4V Rona brand variable speed NiMH drill and I used a regular (non-high speed) 11/32 drill bit. Consider using a nail & hammer to create a tiny starter ding. I didn't do this but I imagine it would help. Otherwise, just go nice and slow and let the drill do the work. It took me about 10 - 15 minutes with mild pressure on the drill. Oh, the hole goes on the bottom of the FZ1 bar, in line with the other hole.

[Update: The below "Aside" is flat out wrong. The hole goes about 6" from the end of the bar. After drilling this first hole I then drilled a second. I measured three times, drilled once, and still ****ed it up. Following Carlos840's advice, I drilled the second hole out to an elongated oval. Just dremel the damn plastic nub off.]

Aside: My FZ1 bar had two holes on the right side, one closer to where the throttle grip goes, and one closer to the centre. The hole you are creating for the control unit goes on the bottom of the bar in line with the hole closer to the centre.

With the hole drilled, it is time to swap bars. Loosen the bolts holding the brake master cylinder in place, remove the bolts and metalwork holding the bar in place, slide the brake cylinder and bar apart (keep the brake cylinder upright to avoid any possibly brake fluid leakage), slide the brake cylinder onto the new bar, finger tighten its bolts, put the bar in place and finger tighter the handlebar bolts.

At this point you can reverse course and start re-installing the components. Again, slide the FZ1 bar itself left and right as needed to slide the various components back on the bar. Once the two control units are in place you can set the bar where you want it and tighter it down (see Issues below), then align and tighten down everything else. New grips will go on easy enough with some hairspray.

The end product (see my follow-up post below and updates above re: "Did I screw something up?"):

WJCaN33.jpg

Issues

Not really an issue, but FYI for those planning to do this: The FZ1 bar is flat. There is no pull back or pull up bend in the bar like the FZ6. Expect to increase your forward lean.

To have the bar where I want it, I will need risers. Turned all the way to the left, the left control unit touches my tank. For now I have the bars angled up a bit, but that results in a hand-bar angle much like the FZ6 bar (pressure on the outside of the palms) which is the reason I was doing this mod in the first place.

The brake master cylinder now sits at a weird angle that I do not like, canted down to the left slightly. Not sure if it will help when I get the risers and am able to "flatten out" the bar. Visually it doesn't look like the riser will make a difference.

Cramped cabling: without risers, everything is more cramped and cables are under more stress. Probably fine but I don't like it. I ordered the 1" Up, 1" back risers from Twisted Throttle and they should arrive shortly.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to keep things clean you should get the FZ6r bar, it has the same angle as the FZ1 bar but with the rise of the FZ6 bar.

Pictures in this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/50793-fz6r-handlebars-drill-needed.html

It's weird that you are having issues with tank clearance, i have the FZ1 bar flat and it clears the tank, i would not feel comfortable riding with a control unit that can touch the tank, that's a recipe for a dented tank!

Also, not sure what you mean about cramped cables but it is not an issue i have, have had the bars on for a year or so and it was never an issue...

Lastly, a good trick to remove and put on grips is to use an air compressor, just jam the tip of your air pistol under the grip and shoot some air in there, it will expand the grip and make it super easy to put on or take off!

FZ1 bars:

DSC_4054_zpsbac4a771.jpg

And yes, the master cylinder does sit at a weird angle, in use it makes no difference...

DSC_4037_zps589bbfc0.jpg

Last edited:

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to keep things clean you should get the FZ6r bar, it has the same angle as the FZ1 bar but with the rise of the FZ6 bar.

One bar upgrade is enough for me! :) But thanks for the tip. I'm invested in the FZ1 bar for now and I've already blown my moto budget for the year way out of the water. I've spent more so far this year than what the bike cost me, and I may be getting new rubber too. I'll see how the FZ1 bar + riser works for me and maybe look at the FZ6R bar later.

It's weird that you are having issues with tank clearance, i have the FZ1 bar flat and it clears the tank, i would not feel comfortable riding with a control unit that can touch the tank, that's a recipe for a dented tank!

It depends on where you clamp the bar in, but clamped in at an angle that looks to me like "flat" (and seems to be where I want it when I'm sitting on the bike) the left control unit does hit the tank at full left angle. The right doesn't do the same.

Here's the gap with the bar in it's current, slightly angled up, position:

M996mE7.jpg

Also, not sure what you mean about cramped cables but it is not an issue i have, have had the bars on for a year or so and it was never an issue...

The brake lines in particular. They're steel-braided so pretty stiff. Trying position and clamp down the master cylinder resulted in some additional bending where those lines go through the plastic cable management tab on the front of the triple-t. It's hard to tell from this picture but there was some gentle shoving involved to get things situated:

PlGIMAb.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not keep the stock routing if you have steel brake lines, with the stock lines you can get away with just rotating the lines at the master cylinder a bit, with SS lines it doesn't really work. I re-routed mines a different way, it looks good and there is no twisting/rubbing on them.

DSC_4035_zps0607e841.jpg

Last edited:

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: My FZ1 bar mod experience (Did I screw something up?)

Did I screw something up with my FZ1 bar mod?

There is a sizeable gap between the end of the right grip and the bar end weight. This is not the case on the left:

WJCaN33.jpg

VMRj4dk.jpg

yKdohI6.jpg

Should the throttle overhang the bar end weight? I'm thinking I drilled the hole for the right control unit in line with the wrong hole on the stock FZ1 bar. There were two such holes, one closer to where the throttle is and one farther away. Mark-9 eyeballing it, it looked like the hole should be drilled in line with the one further away. Now I think that was wrong.

- Mark

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not keep the stock routing if you have steel brake lines, with the stock lines you can get away with just rotating the lines at the master cylinder a bit, with SS lines it doesn't really work. I re-routed mines a different way, it looks good and there is no twisting/rubbing on them.

I'll check that out. I had one of the local moto shops installed them and that's what I got.

Thanks,
Mark

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

It's hard to say for certain without seeing it in person, but i think you did screw up something, the grips should be a mirror image of each other...
Right now your right grip is closer to the center line of the bike, which will screw with your head when riding.

I don't remember drilling the hole in line with a hole already present, i used my stock bar as a guide and drilled away...

One thing you could check, on my bike, with both control pods and grips aligned correctly i ended up having one of the stock holes showing on the bar, on the right side, just left of the right control pod. I filled it with silicone to avoid getting water in the bars, but it is apparent in this picture:

DSC_40542_zps0ba03e5f.jpg

If you can't see this hole odds are you drilled your hole to far left!

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

One thing you could check, on my bike, with both control pods and grips aligned correctly i ended up having one of the stock holes showing on the bar, on the right side, just left of the right control pod.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The hole in question is not visible on mine. I must be too far to the left. I would assume the throttle grip should overlap the bar-end weight so the grip covers the gap like the left.

Ok, easy enough to fix, but dang it's a lot of work!

Re: the banjos. I like to think my moto mechanics know what they are doing but I suppose they are unlikely to put as much thought or care into it as I'd like them too. I'm not equipped to mess around with those myself. Maybe next time I have it in the shop I'll get them to fix it. I usually do my own oil so that won't be until I get some new tires.

Thanks again,
Mark

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

Unfortunately most mechanics are more bothered about the time it takes to do something than doing it correctly, which is why a lot of us do everything ourselves!

Personally i would fix the brakes myself, i would not trust a guy who installs brakes lines the wrong way around to do a good installation and a thorough bleed job...
All you need to do it are a couple wrenches and a clear hose to bleed the brakes.

If they put this top banjo bolt the wrong way around it is not impossible they did the same thing on another one, i would fix it asap!

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

Unfortunately most mechanics are more bothered about the time it takes to do something than doing it correctly, which is why a lot of us do everything ourselves!

Personally i would fix the brakes myself, i would not trust a guy who installs brakes lines the wrong way around to do a good installation and a thorough bleed job...
All you need to do it are a couple wrenches and a clear hose to bleed the brakes.

If they put this top banjo bolt the wrong way around it is not impossible they did the same thing on another one, i would fix it asap!

This doesn't necessarily matter, but the moto shop where I had the lines installed is no more and I go to a new guy now. He works a lot closer with his customers ... we're in the shop, he's giving us the details, explaining everything, showing us everything.

But you are right ... I should do it myself and I hope to do more of my own work over time. I'll start looking at brake work steps, but I just had the brake fluid replaced with my new(ish) guy last week.

- Mark

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

Ok, easy enough to fix, but dang it's a lot of work!

Ok then. I fracked that up. Despite "measuring thrice" I managed to get the new hole just far enough out that the bar end weight now rubs up against the throttle grip, preventing the throttle from snapping back when let go.

That could be bad for my health, so I put my FZ6 bar back on.

With egg on face, I retreat to contemplate my next steps. :beer:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

Ok then. I fracked that up. Despite "measuring thrice" I managed to get the new hole just far enough out that the bar end weight now rubs up against the throttle grip, preventing the throttle from snapping back when let go.

That could be bad for my health, so I put my FZ6 bar back on.

With egg on face, I retreat to contemplate my next steps. :beer:

It's not like it is primordial for the hole and plastic nub to be there, a lot of people have completely ignored the hole and just ended up grinding down the plastic nub that goes in the hole.

If i were you i would just drill a second hole just left of you current one so you end up with a an oval and call it a day.This would allow you to move things a little bit left. The pod is held by compression around the bar anyway, the plastic nub is just there for ease of assembly in the factory.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

It's not like it is primordial for the hole and plastic nub to be there, a lot of people have completely ignored the hole and just ended up grinding down the plastic nub that goes in the hole.

If i were you i would just drill a second hole just left of you current one so you end up with a an oval and call it a day.This would allow you to move things a little bit left. The pod is held by compression around the bar anyway, the plastic nub is just there for ease of assembly in the factory.

I do seem to recall reading that on the forums ... people just cutting the nub down. Thanks again. I'm done messing around for this weekend, but I might tackle this again next weekend.

- Mark

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

I do seem to recall reading that on the forums ... people just cutting the nub down. Thanks again. I'm done messing around for this weekend, but I might tackle this again next weekend.

- Mark

The next-to-final product: I drilled out the hole to an oval shape, re-installed the FZ1 bar with my new grips and my just-arrived HVMP bar end weights. Too some fiddling around but the throttle closes like it should, things don't stick, and I made it to the office today without anything falling off or coming loose. Bonus.

Without the risers (ordered and in transit) everything is at at weird angles ... the bars are angled up to avoid the tank and the clutch and brake levers are sitting a bit weird too. The risers will fix all that.

I do need to get the handlebar and bar end bolts torqued down properly. A buddy of mine has a torque wrench, and I'm looking at getting a quality torque wrench from Snap-On or MAC. I'll post updated pics once the risers are here and installed.

- Mark

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

The next-to-final product: I drilled out the hole to an oval shape, re-installed the FZ1 bar with my new grips and my just-arrived HVMP bar end weights. Too some fiddling around but the throttle closes like it should, things don't stick, and I made it to the office today without anything falling off or coming loose. Bonus.

Without the risers (ordered and in transit) everything is at at weird angles ... the bars are angled up to avoid the tank and the clutch and brake levers are sitting a bit weird too. The risers will fix all that.

I do need to get the handlebar and bar end bolts torqued down properly. A buddy of mine has a torque wrench, and I'm looking at getting a quality torque wrench from Snap-On or MAC. I'll post updated pics once the risers are here and installed.

- Mark

You do know that the levers can be rotated anyway you like?

They should be low enough that you can reach them without having to bend your wrist.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site

You do know that the levers can be rotated anyway you like?

They should be low enough that you can reach them without having to bend your wrist.

Yep. But again, the routing of the cables is such that the brake lever is as low as I can get it without either properly fixing / rerouting the banjos or installing the risers. Once the risers are here (1" up, 1" back) I'll have enough clearance to rotate the bar down to where I want it (flatter) and adjust the brake lever as well.

If the inner banjo was turned around so both banjos were pointing forward (ref: previous pic) then I'd have room to move as well, but I'm not touching them until I next need to do the brakes.

Last edited: