SMIDSY...Happened to me... -_-

marsman89

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was on my way to pick up some food during my lunch hour and was sitting at a red light at a 4 way intersection. The opposite side had a dedicated turn light that went off then my through light turned green (I was headed straight through the intersection). I accelerated to around 25 mph in the middle of the intersection when a young girl with her father decided to turn in front of me at the last second. I locked up by rear wheel and hit their right side bumper standing up then got thrown to the ground on the right along with my bike... I was wearing a full face helmet, leather jacket with elbow and shoulder pads, dress pants, and dress shoes.

The damage: (Me) Large cut across my shin, strained knee, and possible fractured elbow. (Bike) bent brake lever, possible bent forks, damaged frame slider and foot peg, scrapes on lower fork and cowl, and large dent in the gas tank from my knee.

Thinking back on the situation, it could have been much worse had the light been green and I had been going 45 mph. See these posts on here and videos of the time of this same situation, but I never thought it would happen to me. For those who have the same mindset, always be on the lookout and always wear the proper gear.

That being said, I have a couple of questions. Does anyone in the U.S. have any experience dealing with a vehicular motorcycle collision and the process of dealing with insurance and other parties?:confused: The police report should arrive in a couple days.

Thanks!

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
At least you are here to tell the story.

I had a crash in January, a lady decided to jump a Stop sign just when I was crossing in front of her.

I don't have knowledge on USA laws so I can't help.

And yes it happens to the best of us, at the moment of my crash I was going at 30 km/h (20km/h less than the speed limit) and I still braked so at time of collision the speed would be less than that.

30km/h is around 19mph... Still have problems with my foot.

Best of luck.

"V"

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are not more hurt and that you heal up fast. (and that you are around to pass on details).

hope you get your wheels back soon. sorry cant help either with U.S. insurance stuff. if its like here in Aus, you have to contact your insurer and they will chase the other party. if you have no cover you have to chase their insurer and place a claim.
Good luck with it!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Happy to hear you're relatively okay and like you said, could have been worse!

Good luck dealing with all the other stuff.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes, bud! Good thing you came out okay in the end!

Hopefully you got their insurance and the likes, and are able to work something out.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear. My dad got rear ended about 2 months ago while stopped waiting to turn left on a secondary road.
You just deal with your insurance company, it's their job to deal with the at-fault persons insurance to get you reimbursed. Make sure you get your helmet and leather jacket replaced. (And buy some proper riding boots and pants while you're at it!!)
Also, might want to ask around for personal injury lawyer recommendations just in case. If you do end up with a broken elbow, surgery and PT isn't going to be cheap, so don't accept any settlement from the other insurance company until that is all set.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your accident, Luckily it sounds like you got off with relatively light injuries, itcould have been much worse. Good luck with the Insurance, let us know how you get on.

marsman89

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the concern guys! I'll definitely think twice about leaving my gear at home or the office even if it is "just a quick food run." I spoke with the police officer again today and she confirmed that the other party was at fault for the accident, so it looks like I will just have to wait 2-3 days before I get the police report so I can file a claim against the other parties insurance company. I guess in the meantime I could get the bike inspected for damage.

I love my FZ and just about have it the way I want it! So hopefully I can get the damage repaired and maybe even a new paint job... ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that mate. On the good side, you seem to escape serious injuries and you did have contact with the other vehicle so its not like you crashed on your own so the other insurance company should pay for everything, including your medical, and maybe some pain and suffering. Unless they are under insured. Make sure you seek medical treatment, and your injuries may linger for years so make sure you are compensated! Including physical therapy.

If it was me, I would never be caught riding in dress pants and dress shoes.

You may want to hire an attorney to get the maximum amount. .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear. My dad got rear ended about 2 months ago while stopped waiting to turn left on a secondary road.
You just deal with your insurance company, it's their job to deal with the at-fault persons insurance to get you reimbursed. Make sure you get your helmet and leather jacket replaced. (And buy some proper riding boots and pants while you're at it!!)
Also, might want to ask around for personal injury lawyer recommendations just in case. If you do end up with a broken elbow, surgery and PT isn't going to be cheap, so don't accept any settlement from the other insurance company until that is all set.

Glad your not seriously hurt.

+1 ^^^.

Last bike I totaled (a 1985 Honda VT1100 back around 1987), her fault, did a U-TURN in front of me(yes, outside my lane, same direction, decided to turn around).

Her insurance company found a crack in the frame and totaled it. The bike was cherry, older than their books went back for $ but we settled on a $.

As noted above, either lawyer up for your injuries, or at least speak to them about an offer.
I had just a very small scrape on lower leg, they offered abut $2,500, just for that (which I took and its since healed up). Your injuries are worth CONSIDERABLY more.

BTW, I did NOT have insurance on the bike (not required in Florida), so it was all thru her company

Last edited: