Catching cold...

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful about going into stores with that on. :D

That looks a lot better than wearing a ski mask, which I have done in the past for longer rides in the cold.

This space intentionally left blank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I gear up to teeth but my neck and cold got into the helmet (yes, I lost the chin curtain) that was probably how I caught the cold (arghh called in sick today and home sick...)...I planned to get this to keep the cold out of my face and neck...anyone has better way please chime in!

FREEZE-OUT - Face Mask - Head/Neck - Base Layers - Street - Cycle Gear

I wear a 3/4 helmet with shield so I know how chilly it can get.

On really cold days, I have a nylon (think its nylon), head / neck pull over (fits very snug) and tucks into my jacket. Definitly helps...

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I gear up to teeth but my neck and cold got into the helmet (yes, I lost the chin curtain) that was probably how I caught the cold (arghh called in sick today and home sick...)...I planned to get this to keep the cold out of my face and neck...anyone has better way please chime in!

FREEZE-OUT - Face Mask - Head/Neck - Base Layers - Street - Cycle Gear

I use the freeze out balaclava. It's ok -- if you were claustrophobic with your helmet before you got used to it, you'll have to deal with that again. Don't use it when you have runny nose though. Not cool.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Being chilly cant make you sick, its the heightened amount of time people spend inside near each others coughs and sneezes that increase the rate of sick people with chilly weather.

Now that isn't to say having cold air get inside your helmet doesn't suck, I thought my helmet came with a chin curtain but it wasn't in the box, so I feel your pain (I ride in Ontario until November usually)

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Southern California and cold air? Just curious, how cold are we talking? It was 36F this morning for my ride in and I was pretty toasty with my Aerostitch and Gerbing jacket. If it gets really cold I'll do the balclava. I finally bought a new helmet with a pinlock shield this year and it is so nice not having a fogged up shield.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Southern California and cold air? Just curious, how cold are we talking? It was 36F this morning for my ride in and I was pretty toasty with my Aerostitch and Gerbing jacket. If it gets really cold I'll do the balclava. I finally bought a new helmet with a pinlock shield this year and it is so nice not having a fogged up shield.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Southern CA is just like Florida, people freak out when it's 50 degrees and put on their ski gear! Blah

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what I was thinking! Southern CA is just like Florida, people freak out when it's 50 degrees and put on their ski gear! Blah

No ski gear, just the electric vest, electric gauntlet gloves, etc!!! Blah

Heck it dropped to the mid 60's(F) over night. Had a great ride this am with the vented jacket(to donate blood), low 80's today and the humidity not bad.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'll stop by Cyclegear to pick that facemask up for riding..yeahh :) We're Californians use to warm climate and just a chilling bits make our body cold ...

not sure how I got the cold but it could have been from my 1st grade and preschool kids,,,they were sneezing and coughing first and every morning I had to get them up and got out the house at 7:45am...so It must have been them added up the chances to get the cold

And yes, California weather is perfect for riding all year long, a few days of raining that's all...when it rains my day will be longer cause I will have to drive in.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
No ski gear, just the electric vest, electric gauntlet gloves, etc!!! Blah

Heck it dropped to the mid 60's(F) over night. Had a great ride this am with the vented jacket(to donate blood), low 80's today and the humidity not bad.

I rode in yesterday morning at 46F with nothing but my windproof overpaints, leather jacket and cold weather gloves. Felt great! :thumbup: