road trip, learned about lightning and gear

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I made it safely from Souther Indiana to Nashville, TN. It was 50 when I left so I took out the two liners from my Olympia Xmoto jacket. After 40 minutes of pouring cold rain, I pulled over and put them both back in! My non-mesh Triumph gloves were soaked too, as were my boots (Thank God I wore my smart wool socks so no harm came to my feet!). The jacket was soaked and was wicking in cold water to my base layer. I was so cold! I keep a small micro towel in my tank bag and dried off as much as possible and then put the layers of the jacket in. I'm not sure if the only way the jacket is water proof is if layers are in, but that would be pretty dumb.

I also have a cheap Vega helmet that troubled me. I tried to wipe the water spots off my visor....and they were on the inside!

Once I was south of Louisville the rain began to clear out. Then some hellish heat! Okay, it wasn't bad but the stark difference was crazy, I hit a zone of 80 degrees in central KY. So I had to pull over and peel away. It was good since my butt was numb after an hour or so (seat mod coming sooner methinks)

All in all it was a great adventure, the thunder was cool, the lightning was a little much striking in fields off in the distance. The road took me away from the storm or I would have probably just stopped for a bit.

Oh, and if you are traveling I-40 West into Nashville, TN...it is absolute crap! Only time I just about lost the bike was on that stretch. The pavement is completely destroyed and my tire caught a groove. I twas just luck that I didn't flip. I just made very small corrections instead of pulling fast.

So any recommendations on a helmet that will not let rain on my face? gloves too.

The weather is supposed to be great for my return trip. A little chilly, so I'll start with the liners in...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Be safe! I road coast to coast once and it was through some very heavy storms.
Be safe! :)

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When did you go? I was in Nashville on the fz6 about 2 weeks ago. I didn't hit up the wildhorse, but the Honky Tonk was hopping far beyond my ability to keep up.

Yea, so, my Shoei Qwest is nice and wind proof, rated high in safety on independent tests, and as cheap as Shoei gets. So it's expensive.

I've also experienced what you're talking about, with the rain soaking everything being your first sign it's time to change gear, especially those darned mesh gloves! Nelson Rigg survivor dry bags, baby.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Gear is key for staying comfortable on long trips. I like my frog togs for the rain. Be safe and have fun!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of lightning, here's a funny story about lightning and riding. It's funny because he survived while the interior lining and face shield were blown out. The wiring on his helmet was also melted. In fact as I think about it he may have had a headset in the helmet while listening to music. When the lighting struck his head the wire acted as a stringer where a great part of the deadly current passed to the bike. In another account I read, they said he was struck and then pulled to the side of the road. When the people in the car behind him, asked him if he was okay he said yes but he didn't know why he had pulled over. So there he was with his face shield blown off and tufts helmet liner and foam sticking out of his helmet, not knowing what happened.:confused: :eek: :)

Ride the lightning: Man on motorcycle hit by lightning on I-5 - KPTV - FOX 12

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made it safely from Souther Indiana to Nashville, TN. It was 50 when I left so I took out the two liners from my Olympia Xmoto jacket. After 40 minutes of pouring cold rain, I pulled over and put them both back in! My non-mesh Triumph gloves were soaked too, as were my boots (Thank God I wore my smart wool socks so no harm came to my feet!). The jacket was soaked and was wicking in cold water to my base layer. I was so cold! I keep a small micro towel in my tank bag and dried off as much as possible and then put the layers of the jacket in. I'm not sure if the only way the jacket is water proof is if layers are in, but that would be pretty dumb.

I also have a cheap Vega helmet that troubled me. I tried to wipe the water spots off my visor....and they were on the inside!

Once I was south of Louisville the rain began to clear out. Then some hellish heat! Okay, it wasn't bad but the stark difference was crazy, I hit a zone of 80 degrees in central KY. So I had to pull over and peel away. It was good since my butt was numb after an hour or so (seat mod coming sooner methinks)

All in all it was a great adventure, the thunder was cool, the lightning was a little much striking in fields off in the distance. The road took me away from the storm or I would have probably just stopped for a bit.

Oh, and if you are traveling I-40 West into Nashville, TN...it is absolute crap! Only time I just about lost the bike was on that stretch. The pavement is completely destroyed and my tire caught a groove. I twas just luck that I didn't flip. I just made very small corrections instead of pulling fast.

So any recommendations on a helmet that will not let rain on my face? gloves too.

The weather is supposed to be great for my return trip. A little chilly, so I'll start with the liners in...

Thanks for sharing, and pleased to hear you made it safely.

I just looked up the Olympia Xmoto jacket on the interweb and I read that it has a waterproof/breathable inner jacket, which means that you have to have the waterproof membrane in to stay dry (the liner layer is simply for warmth). I have a Rev-it Dragon jacket which is basically the same concept, it has positives and negatives to this design (with a waterproof/breathable innerjacket). The big positive is it’s breathability, as the breathable layer is inside the outerjacket it doesn’t have to cope with the windforce an outer waterproof layer would, so they can make the inner jacket a bit more breathable. The biggest negative is as you stated getting wet, the whole outer layer is not waterproof so it will eventually become soaked, although the inner jacket will keep you dry the wet outer layer will cool you down, especially at highway speeds, it also takes some time for the outer layer to dry out when you’ve stopped riding (a bit like a pair of soaked leather gloves). Another thing you have to watch out for is how you wear your gloves, I have several pairs of waterproof gloves but the only way to stop water leaking in is to wear your waterproof gloves over the cuffs of the waterproof layer and under the main jacket shell, this is not a problem with my summer gloves but it’s a PITA with my winter ones (with thicker cuffs).

As for the helmet I recently ( a couple of months ago) bought a shoei Neotec helmet, which is one of the more expensive flip up helmets, but I would not recommend it as when it rains and there is a strong wind (or you’re travelling at speed) drops of rain comes through the vents, and as the chin vent channels the air to the inside of the visor (to demist it) it causes drops on the inside :banghead:, so all I want to say is that buying an expensive helmet doesn’t automatically solve this problem, my previous Nolan helmet never had this.

I have a pair of revit h2O gloves and a pair of Held Freezer (goretex lined) winter gloves, both are totally waterproof/breathable, and I'm pleased with both.

Hope you have a good journey back :thumbup:

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to head over to Louisville and check out Motorcyle Superstore's helmet selection, Matt. I upgraded my Vega not too long ago and the difference in quality on the replacement is awesome. The 50% off sale might still be running. They also have the Motocentric and Froggtogg rain suits (which I need to stop by and acquire).

Glad to hear you made it back okay. Those are always the best learning events - the ones where your life sucks but you don't get hurt.