COLD RIDING! It's that time of year again...How do you stay warm?

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Lessee, right now Weatherbug on my phone is telling me it's 80 with a heat index of 81 (about 1:00pm) in Austin, TX. Last weekend I rode early in the morning when it started out in the 40's. The neck warmer and insulated gloves are a must (which I wore). Layers are good 'cause you can always strip them off if needed (bring a backpack, duffel or whatever to store them in). Eventually it'll get "cold" here. I didn't even have the liner in my textile jacket. A bit chilly but not bad. It got to the 60's on the ride back. That blast to the chest and neck is what gets ya it seems. A balaclava would be nice too. Windbreaker-type stuff is good because what you really need is to stop the wind from cooling you down so quickly.

I happened to see this neck gaiter on Cyclegears homepage today.Cycle Gear

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Summer jacket and gloves time for me now :steve: So lucky in Australia.

The only way I could cope with a cold climate and no winter riding would be to buy a souped up snowmobile. Now that would be theraputic :rockon:

I feel for you all :(

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
When it's in the 40's (F), or below, I wear a pair of gloves, two pairs of socks, two pairs of jeans, a tee shirt, a flannel shirt, and jacket with a balaclava under my helmet. This works well for brief periods in 140 mph winds. : )
(The balaclava costs about five bucks at Walmart and is a lifesaver for your face, neck, and the cold air you inhale! - JMO)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
When it's in the 40's (F), or below, I wear a pair of gloves, two pairs of socks, two pairs of jeans, a tee shirt, a flannel shirt, and jacket with a balaclava under my helmet. This works well for brief periods in 140 mph winds. : )
(The balaclava costs about five bucks at Walmart and is a lifesaver for your face, neck, and the cold air you inhale! - JMO)

I think I'm just going to get a cheap one too, I really will not being doing much riding in the cold, except for the 10 minute commute to work on the warmer days we get this winter.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
first cold ride to work this morning, but i have my brand new Dainese Gator Evo goretex jacket and trousers, which kept me nice and warm. Plus my heated gloves, which work really well. Feet got a little cold, but i was wearing regular boots and cotton socks. Face got a bit cold too, but was ok as the rest of me was toasty warm

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just got a pair of these guys: http://bit.ly/s8CXA0. I was worried they would be a bit bulky with the 200g of insulation, but they were fine. At 40 degrees this morning it felt like I had toasters on my hands.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Supposed to hit 70 degrees today in Virginia! :thumbup: Going to enjoy my ride home for lunch! :rockon:

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute from Arlington - WA to Kent- WA everyday. 65mi+ one way, 130mi+ a day, been riding this way for about 1 1/2 years now (insane? yea I know). Right now mornings are getting down to 34f (usually with some rain), and I have had a lot of success even down to 28f. Here is a list of my gear (not gonna describe how I assemble, not all of this gear is used at the same time, just depends on temp and weather) all of which i have had great success with:

My thermal gear
- Freezeout long johns (cycle gear, $20)
- Freezeout zipped gilet (cycle gear, $40)
- Freezeout facemask (cycle gear, $10)
- Sedici Hotwire heated jacket and controller (Cycle Gear, $210)
- scorpion thermal winter gloves ($65 i think)
misc accessories
- a turtleneck fleece zip-up sweater (when not cold enough for the hotwire)
- a beanie (pretty much year round)
Armor
- firstgear armor pants (I try to ride with armor always)
- Motogp mesh armor w/liner jacket
- Bilt above the ankle boots (cycle gear, about $65)
rain gear
- firstgear waterproof over pants (paid somewhere around $70 for these)
- Bilt rain jacket (cycle Gear, $35)
- Bilt over boots (cycle gear, $13)

- also have heated grips that are quite toasty (even thru my grip puppies)

The rain gear keeps me dry for my entire 1 1/2 ride, even in a decent amount of rain. The thermal gear is good overall, my only complaint with the Sedici heated jacket (other than huge power draw... not its fault tho :) is that the controller is located in the jacket... under all of my other gear... I don't know about you, but pushing a flush mount button under 3 layers WITH winter gloves on... not very easy. Thinking about a way to locate the controller somewhere on the bike but not sure about the logistics of this? maybe a topic for another thread. So there it is, when I ride, I am very comfortable in any setting.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What cold weather gear are you pulling out this year?

So I rode to work this morning and the temp was 40 degrees F (4 C) with high humidity...My neck was numb and I was starting to get a headache from the brain freeze.

My cold weather gear consists of my armored textile jacket with thermal liner, jeans with wind breaker overpants, gortex/thinsulate gloves.

My fingers were started to get numb after 12 minutes but my neck was absolutely the weak link.

How do you keep your neck warm? It seems with the stock windscreen the air hits you in the chest and BLASTS straight up into your neck/chin.

I'm thinking of trying a turtle neck and a neck warmer
NEW-POLAR-FLEECE-NECK-WARMER-BLACK.jpg
I have that as well as a balaclava, silk glove inserst and windproof riding shirt pay dividends. I was able to ride in -14C two years ago.
All the gear was brought for less than €100 euro from Aldi. Great value and does the job brilliantly.

neil

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
30 degrees this morning, had my thermals on and textile jacket and pants. A beautiful ride in to work.
The first proper crisp morning.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2