I Lost The Love Today

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Those who ride the canyons and lots of curves are more likely to notice the suspension and throttle chop issues. Those who commute and ride flat lands are far less likely to have issues as you have no need to be on and off the throttle loading and unloading the suspension.

Depends where you commute. In a city there's no point even owning a bike over 300cc. For me, I'm running 40-50 miles of twisty country back roads each way, day in, day out. I'll engine brake on a closed throttle in third, scrub the last MPH or two off with the brakes as I clutch in for a down shift, drop the front brake as I tip in, then balance clutch and back brake for the tightest of turns, or just roll it on in second. No dramas. Do what you're supposed to do, and it's not even an issue. It's almost as though they designed it that way.

As for the other issues raised, I think it's a lot to do with perception (maybe marketing?) Over here the fz6 is seen (and bought) as a standard style bike, jack of all trades. It appears that in the US it is seen as a semi-sports bike. That difference makes us expect very different things from the bike.

That's how you sell things in the states. Write "sport" or "XL" (or even better, "sports XL") on something and everyone loses their minds and parts with their money. I've seen numerous posts on here showing that the Yamaha US website puts the FZ range in the "sports" section, so they MUST be sports bikes. This is the reason the Nissan Micra Sport exists, which is such an oxymoron the mind boggles. Which leads in to the type of, "why doesn't my not-a-sport-bike compare to sport bikes, even though I think it should be a sport bike?" type of discussion we see here.

American laziness? On other forums you'd be blasted out of the water over that comment, but here we are nice and polite.

Have a pop, watch me not care.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a pop, watch me not care.

Clearly Sir you behave like a sanctimonious, pompous ass who likes to play tough guy on the computer instead of having a lively debate while leaving name calling out of it.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Payneib, you seem to be attempting to be a jerk, maybe it's just the UK sense of humor, which can seem "different". Given the crashes I see with UK riders, I doubt your countrymen all are really that much better.
I may or may not have been riding as long as you, but 30 years isn't a short time either. I know how to use a clutch. You seem to think that because you don't suffer from bad low speed throttle response, that no one does. Sorry, but as it is more than just me, it can't be in all our heads. I KNOW how a throttle should feel, and I know the fz doesn't even come close to the smoothness of even a half assed adjusted carb.
Yamaha makes good bikes, but then they apparently decide to saddle them with poor throttles and poor suspension, at least in the US. They make the fx09 which is supposed to be awesome...except for suspension and throttle control. Such a shame.

Bottom line is that there are a bunch of budget bikes, it is the tweaks and finish that set the good ones apart. As I said before, the fz isn't a "bad" bike. It just has issues it should never have left the factory with.
it does not have issues. mine doesn't. its a perfectly safe and well sorted motorcycle

riders have issues, bikes seldom do. if a rider has issues with a bike, get a different bike. but don't blame a perfectly good bike for being what it is, or for what its not

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about paineib. He is only British after all. I mean, if he were Australian, then he might be worth listening to. Some people were just born to be British though, we can't fault him for that.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, FZs, should I post the numerous links to the topics sort-of discussed here? I mean, I assume you can read, but maybe you don't have time to look them up? I could also look up the numerous reviews done that also note these issues. Of course, those guys only test 20+ bikes a year, they obviously know nothing at all, right? You know, it's not like me and others here are making things up. Motorcycle experts also have experienced these issues. If you don't good for you, that's great. That doesn't mean the rest of us have not, though.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Vinman, Payneib ... Both of you, enough. This is turning into a pissing match over nothing. You've both said your piece, and I'd appreciate if you'd simply stop posting in this thread. Nothing is being contributed anymore.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a crazy thing, reading this week's MCN (Motorcycle News) about a Ducati Super Bike Shoot Out: "Yeah, the 1198s can be a bit aggressive at low speed", Adam admits, "In town it's quite hard working that's why I altered the gearing. But it's a great bike to ride once you get over the initial throttle opening......"

So there you go, in my mellow drunken state. You're not riding a **** sports bike, you're riding a beginners SUPER BIKE!!! Learn to ride this, and you can ride anything the crazy sexy Italians can throw at you.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can live with the suspension and brakes on the FZ6. However the throttle opening glitch is by far the worst feature of the bike (UK S1 model). I don't have the money to spend on ECU flashes or fuel delivery gizmos. What I did do was lube the cable and throttle. Tighten the throttle cable to remove excess free play, and importantly changed my riding style to allow for the throttle snap.
I agree with the original OP that the issue shouldn't be there from the start and really takes the pi55 and I also agree with payneib that these issues can be ridden around.
What I don't get is how an interesting topic turns into a pointless slagging match.
Nelly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As has already been said there is a big difference between a full on sports bike and a FZ6, a sports bike is great for a "blast" but I mainly commute (all year around) with the occasional day rides and long weekends and for that the FZ6 is IMO an ideal bike (I have put over 115000 Km's on mine). I do have the S2 with ABS so the brakes are not a problem (in fact they are pretty good). Its not a problem if I ride 2 hours to a meet and then ride back again afterwards (in europe the S2's got an improved seat as well), it is a great touring bike. I think maybe the suspension could have been improved but I guess then it wouldn't have been the same bang for yer buck, I did replace the front suspension (as it was worn) for a good make (Hyperpro) which did (slightly) improve the handling.
A mate of mine has had several sport bikes (including the gixxer) which I have ridden, and especially in the corners they are much "sharper", but I just couldn't handle much more than an hour of riding one of these due to the cramped position.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
So I just traded in my FZ6 on a new (old stock) 2013 Triumph Daytona. I love a lot of things about it, but I wish I had kept the FZ in the stable for a few reasons-#1 being comfort. I can't see myself doing a 400 to 600 mile day on the Triumph;something I regularly did on the FZ. #2 is storage: If I can find bags for the Daytona, they're going to be expensive and small. Now I know why supersport riders are always wearing backpacks. #3 is versatility. No it didn't have adjustable suspension and all of the sweet tech goodies the new bike has, but it would still hustle around the track and I could keep up with the supersports in the canyons. I bought the Triumph as a sport riding tool primarily because I need to "scratch that itch" before I simply can't ride it (it hurts for me now at about 150 miles) and because I like track days and I might start thinking about club racing. I guess my point to the OP is this-you might not know what you really want until you've lived with something else.