COLD RIDING! It's that time of year again...How do you stay warm?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were a big dude with plenty of natural "insulation" over my muscles I would not whine about the cold. People blessed with "insulation" have no idea what being really cold feels like. We string bean types get cold just by looking out a window at snow!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
tried my heated gloves for the first time last week and they really helped (bought them last winter but they didn't work, this is the replacement pair)

was speaking to the guys in the dainese shop, and they said the best thing to wear is tight fitting clothes, with a windproof thermal layer underneath. This helps trap the warm air and keep you insulated. If your clothes are flapping around you won't retain any warmth

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were a big dude with plenty of natural "insulation" over my muscles I would not whine about the cold. People blessed with "insulation" have no idea what being really cold feels like. We string bean types get cold just by looking out a window at snow!

That's the funny part, I'm 6ft and 135lbs! lol!! I do feel the cold sometimes, but it just doesn't bother me. Guess I'm lucky. Heat on the other hand turns me into a whiny little kid. I can't stand it above 80, unless I'm in AC, or on the moto.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the funny part, I'm 6ft and 135lbs! lol!! I do feel the cold sometimes, but it just doesn't bother me. Guess I'm lucky. Heat on the other hand turns me into a whiny little kid. I can't stand it above 80, unless I'm in AC, or on the moto.

Seriously? I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs and I'm considered "skinny" by most standards.

Then I just checked the map of where you live, central coast of California, I don't think your weather qualifies as "cold".

Try riding in 35 degree weather with an 85% relative humidity and high winds...that's a typical winter day in the Mid-Atlantic states. People whine about humidity in the summer here because it makes the heat feel MUCH worse. Well it works the same in the cold...it can make 35 degrees feel like 0 degrees in a drier climate.

mellow mark

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone's already mentioned a balaclava and I've used them when I rode in the winter in north texas - works great. You might also was to try a silk scarf, tied aviator-fashion and tucked into your sweater, etc.. For legs, I've never been able to beat a set of leather chaps (over regular levis, over those poly/lycra undies from REI). Upper body? I've also worn a set of bib overalls which are seamless through your crotch and give excellent protection to those wind blasts to your chest. I've used a pair of gauntlet gloves, but heated ones would be much better. I'm 5'9", weigh about 155 lbs, so my body fat is LOW. I think my personal "best" (or worst) temp was about 23 degrees F. That was a one-time experience. Remember to check your tire pressures and beware of slick spots (frost, etc). at stop signs and corners. RIDE SAFE!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok when I ride in the cold I wear:

1 pair of socks
1 pair of insulated socks
Boots
Long underwear (or thermals)
Sweatpants
Jeans
Chaps
Thermal Shirt (or underarmor)
Tshirt
Hoodie
Leather Jacket
Riding Jacket
Scarf (nohomo)
facemask under helmet
Beanie under helmet
1$ store gloves
Leather gloves overtop

WHABAM all in all takes about 10 minutes to gear up. With all that warm gear on - I can ride in anything down to about 35F before I really actually start to get bothered by the cold.

Tiger Eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Oxford heated grips do the trick for hands in Oz - I know we are known for our sundrenched landscapes and the beach and the never ending summer. But the south does get cold and we do get the chilly Antarctic winds and snow. I have never had an issue with clothes I find when it really gets cold the best thing is layers and good windproofing but insulated gloves and heated grips can't go wrong
Dave

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a 150-mile ride today in high 30-degree [am] and mid-40's [pm] weather. Long underwear, turtleneck, scarf, insulated insert under sweat shirt, w/insulated riding jacket, heavy wool socks. Hands still got cold in morning with gloves w/liners. Really thinking of heated gloves.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously? I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs and I'm considered "skinny" by most standards.

Then I just checked the map of where you live, central coast of California, I don't think your weather qualifies as "cold".

Try riding in 35 degree weather with an 85% relative humidity and high winds...that's a typical winter day in the Mid-Atlantic states. People whine about humidity in the summer here because it makes the heat feel MUCH worse. Well it works the same in the cold...it can make 35 degrees feel like 0 degrees in a drier climate.

Yep, I'm that skinny. And it's always high humidity here by the coast, heck, everything that isn't painted just rusts or otherwise corrodes. And yes, it's frequently 35 or colder here, until you get into the cities where it warms up a lot. Is it as bad as winters in any other state? Not even close! But it's cold enough to make the roads a bit dodgy, and enough to cut through most of my gear. lol I'm in the mountains, where it gets way colder than most CA regions. I really don't mind it though. It's the constant visor fogging up that drives me nuts! And I here ya on the humidity! It makes the heat feel much worse, especially indoors. I really want to live somewhere nice and dry. Desert dry. :D

There was one time it hit 35F in San Jose(when I still lived there), and I rode down the expressway on my TW200, back before I had riding pants. It was a short ride, about 15 miles. But my gosh, my knees were killing me once I got to work! That's when I can't take it. LOL!! Oh well, everybody is different. Heck, I've been out in snow(other states of course, lol), and still only wore no more than two layers. Must be my hyper-metabolism keeping me warm. :D

Sorry about the threadjack, back on topic : Another part of winter gear. What does everyone use to keep the visor fogging down?

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wear my shift avenger jacket with the liner, under armor cold gear hood, and I just got a pair of dainese scout goretex gloves I've been waiting to really put to the test. Usually I can handle the cold on my legs. 11 miles each way to work I don't get too cold. I don't like riding under the freezing point and usually penndot has so much salt on the roads by that point it's like riding at Bonneville.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the threadjack, back on topic : Another part of winter gear. What does everyone use to keep the visor fogging down?

I'd like to know too, my HJC had an anti fog visor that was great but now that I have my Arai fogging is a major problem. The first night it got down into the 30's the visor would fog up at speed then when I put it up to defog it froze.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried these :

Firstgear Premium Heated Gloves

In particular the Heated Glove Liner. Was wondering how they fit with different style gloves.

I dont know about the glove liners but i used to have a pair of their heated gloves and they worked great for about 3 days until one or the other would quit working. I took them back to cycle gear about 5 times to have them replaced before i finally just got my money back and bought a pair of gerbings. First gear gloves use a foil type heating element in their gloves vs the regular wires like they use in their jacket, and aperently the foil keep braking. Cycle gear released a statement saying that they had a "bad batch" but the new ones are good to go but after my experience with them i think im just going to stick with gerbings for the gloves, mainly because of the wire type heating element, even though my jacket liner is first gear wich also has the wire type heating element.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that in 40 deg weather, the heated jacket liner was enough to keep my entire body warm. A cold body core will cut warm blood to the outer extremities first. With a warm core, the hands and feet have circulation and stay warm. In colder than 40deg you prob. Need everything heated. Thats my non scientific take. A heated jacket liner is better than anything else for cold weather. It makes the cold a non issue.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I found that in 40 deg weather, the heated jacket liner was enough to keep my entire body warm. A cold body core will cut warm blood to the outer extremities first. With a warm core, the hands and feet have circulation and stay warm. In colder than 40deg you prob. Need everything heated. Thats my non scientific take. A heated jacket liner is better than anything else for cold weather. It makes the cold a non issue.

Where can you find those? Sounds good.

D

Dave.TX

Lessee, right now Weatherbug on my phone is telling me it's 80 with a heat index of 81 (about 1:00pm) in Austin, TX. Last weekend I rode early in the morning when it started out in the 40's. The neck warmer and insulated gloves are a must (which I wore). Layers are good 'cause you can always strip them off if needed (bring a backpack, duffel or whatever to store them in). Eventually it'll get "cold" here. I didn't even have the liner in my textile jacket. A bit chilly but not bad. It got to the 60's on the ride back. That blast to the chest and neck is what gets ya it seems. A balaclava would be nice too. Windbreaker-type stuff is good because what you really need is to stop the wind from cooling you down so quickly.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
Last Xmas Rocky Mtn had Tourmaster heated jacket liners on sale for around $130. Which was complete with all controls. Not sure if that product is still available but there are many other brands and options. A heated liner is like a insulated wind breaker where you put a shell or regular riding jacket over the top. That tourmaster one I have on medium setting is toasty warm. It is luxury.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Last Xmas Rocky Mtn had Tourmaster heated jacket liners on sale for around $130. Which was complete with all controls. Not sure if that product is still available but there are many other brands and options. A heated liner is like a insulated wind breaker where you put a shell or regular riding jacket over the top. That tourmaster one I have on medium setting is toasty warm. It is luxury.

Thats a awsome deal. Did it come with a dual controler or single, i like to be able to run my gloves hotter than my jacket

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
The jacket has linkable wires that connect to each other. Not sure what control setup up is with that. I cant find Tourmaster heated jacket liners when ai did a quick search though.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya thats how most jackets are with the gloves i was mainly wondering about how the controls are i assumed that was the one you had. For me i have to have a dual control or i end up sweating while my hands are comfy or my hands are cold and the restof me is comfy.