Aftermarket Exhaust HP Increase?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I am seriously jonesing to get some aftermarket pipes, but at a cost of between $450 and $900 I have to have a better reason than a better sounding exhaust note and cool looks.

So I have been looking into all kinds of alternatives, from buying used to fabricating my own glasspacks (which is essentially what all of these aftermarket exhausts are).

Two Brothers seems to be a popular choice among many so I decided to check out what they had to say about HP gain. Quite frankly I was surprised :eek:. Here are the results as published by Two Brothers, www.twobros.com:

Bike: HP Increase: Weight Loss (lbs)
07-08 R1: +4: -1
04-06 R1: +3.5: -1
08 R6: +5: -11
06-07 R6: +7: -11
06-08 FZ1: +5: -11
04-08 FZ6: N/A: -8.5

Does anyone have any dynotune evidence that shows something better than this?

Last edited:
I didn't notice any increase with the scorpion exhaust on my 04. I have a dyno sheet for my bike with the scorpions but no baseline to compare it to.

But looking and sounding cool is the reason for aftermarket pipes. If you really want more Hp get a FZ1 or loose weight :)

seems like ur 04 hp is higher than my 08 model. guess u should be having fun with your scorpion cans. From what i remember my brand new bike on a dyno hard break in i remember i was attaining somewhere around 86 hp full stock. a year later i plug in the Power commander and went for 2nd run, shocked to realised that i have actually lost bout 8hp due to wear and tear. my bike now can barely hit 80 hp. awaiting for my 3rd run with Leo Vince cans hope to raise it back again...

You can expect around 5HP increase with just pipes alone.

Your experience may differ as every exhaust/engine/bike is different.

seems like ur 04 hp is higher than my 08 model. guess u should be having fun with your scorpion cans. From what i remember my brand new bike on a dyno hard break in i remember i was attaining somewhere around 86 hp full stock. a year later i plug in the Power commander and went for 2nd run, shocked to realised that i have actually lost bout 8hp due to wear and tear. my bike now can barely hit 80 hp. awaiting for my 3rd run with Leo Vince cans hope to raise it back again...

After the Leo Vince install, would you mind posting the results of the Dynotune?

Thanks.

Hey J,

I had the TBR exhaust and found it too loud. I sold them and ended up getting a Racetech front suspension with emulators. That money was WAY better spent on the suspension...the difference is very noticeable and the canyons will never be the same.

now if only I had money for a new rear shock...

just my 2c - oh and if you come to Ride Night, feel free to take it for a spin and see what it feels like.

Two Bro's are not included, but here are a few dyno curves from a German magazine (blue line = FZ6):

2547398726_5bc7c2cc73_b.jpg

2546575823_5ddabbf57f_b.jpg

2546574977_c7d8fb833a_b.jpg

Looks like you'll need a PCIII if power is your main concern... else it looks like you won't be able to "feel" much difference at all.

Hey J,

I had the TBR exhaust and found it too loud. I sold them and ended up getting a Racetech front suspension with emulators. That money was WAY better spent on the suspension...the difference is very noticeable and the canyons will never be the same.

now if only I had money for a new rear shock...

just my 2c - oh and if you come to Ride Night, feel free to take it for a spin and see what it feels like.

Won't be there tonight, but I will take you up on that in the future, thanks :thumbup:

Two Bro's are not included, but here are a few dyno curves from a German magazine (blue line = FZ6):

Looks like you'll need a PCIII if power is your main concern... else it looks like you won't be able to "feel" much difference at all.

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

Thanks Wavex, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for :thumbup:

Now that I have a better idea of what to expect, I am seriously considering fabricating my own.

If I use all new materials I am looking at roughly the same cost as purchasing them outright (counting the CNC parts), but I would have a very custom exhaust with the pride of knowing I made them and they are one of a kind.

Or I could visit my local Motorcycle Salvage and pick up a couple of cans and modify them for a lot less.

Here is what I am thinking so far:
jtarkany-albums-just-fun-picture3986-diy-exhaust.jpg

Back