PC3 Custom Tuned Dyno Results

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Picked the FZ up from AF1 Racing yesterday. They created a custom map for the Power Commander III. My bike is a 2007 with an Akarapovic exhaust with DB killers pulled out, it you have a 2004 to a 2006 you will/may need a different map.

EDIT - I've ridden the bike about 65 miles over the past couple of days. Start up at clean, once the bike is warm, about 165 to 175 degrees it is very smooth. Normal riding around town is much smoother, the on/off that the bike sometimes has is gone. Mid-range roll ons are GREAT! The little FZ snaps now! No its not a GSXR1000, but its go some get up and go from 5,000 and up. 6,000 to 8,000 really pulls hard, like it always has but even better now. There is very little hesitation, you twist the throttle and it responds. The neutral throttle hesitation is much better, it ain't smoothbores, but much better than stock.

I visited the super top secret Hellgate uber-super speedway for some late night roll-on testing. I did a top gear roll-on from 70 mph and was up to 140 before I knew it. Very smooth and strong pull. I did a couple to 70 mph, kick it down 2 gears and hit it runs, up to 110 in a blink of an eye! This thing moves.

I'll report back in a couple of tanks how the mileage is doing, should go up.

Overall I'm very happy and would highly recommend this mod.

If you would like a copy of the map just PM with your email and I'll send it to you. I honestly don't think the brand of aftermarket exhaust will make any real difference. They are all a slip on and pretty much do the same thing.

End EDIT -

Here's the map that AF1 made for me. BIG difference between the two. Also attached is the dyno sheet. Note that the dyno used at AF1 is an Eddy Current, not a DynoJet. An Eddy Current dyno will show about 17% to 20% less hp than a DynoJet dyno, it all for relative comparisons anyway. In Eddy the FZ made 76, now it makes 82. So converted to DynoJet speak that is about 97 to 100ish HP. Bottomline, it is much better than what DynoJet offers and is WAY, WAY better than stock.

The baseline is the DynoJet map for our bike, the final is the AF1 custom map, HUGE differance in performance. I was only able to ride the bike for about 5 minutes today but I really, really like it. Note that the baseline (and all DynoJet maps are created for 04 to 06 bikes without an O2 sensor). They offer nothing for 07 to 08 bikes that have a different FI and emissions control system. - pretty lame on DJs part.

You'll notice that from 0 to 7,000 rpm in lower percent ranges, 0 to 10% throttle, the change is 0, the DynoJet map was way, way too rich. This part of the computer is closed - loop so you can't tune to make a difference, the computer runs the show regardless. The map difference is because DynoJet uses a Lambda, auto sensor program/method/logic, several problems with this; 1) a motorcycle doesn't have one, 2) the Lambda measures at the beginning of the exhaust manifold - we don't have one, 3) because the MC exhaust is short it pulls exhaust back into the muffler and a exhaust sniffer will give false reading. So...AF1 uses a 4 Gas EGA sensor instead, this method gives much leaner/truer reading.

The tall graph is hp, the middle is torque (that is what I was after) the bottom is hydrocarbons (30 to 40 parts per million) and carbon monoxide (0 to .1%), this thing is CLEAN. So that means it is a very, very effecient engine that is maximizing the burn of the fuel. AF1 tunes from the BOTTOM graph striving the the correct and flat HO and CO ratios, this results in more torque and hp. Makes sense. Note how much richer the DJ map is , almost 2X.

A few side notes, 1) our TRUE redline is 13,600, NOT 14,000. Like our speedos the tach is high. The PC3 gives true reading, the Yamaha reading, 14K, is for sales purposes only. 2) There is no point in reving to redline because the top of the power curve is flat, 12,000 is good enough. 3) The PC3 with this map smooths out the steep transition from 6K to 8K and the torque builds in a more linear fashion, not lumpy, bumpy in that RPM range. 4) Mileage should go up, we will see, I get 42 to 43ish, I'll watch it and let you know, 50 would be great. 5) the Yamaha CATs are excellent, very, very effecient. This is the CLEANEST and GREENEST bike that AF1 has even tuned. The CATs flow very well too.

I've only ridden it around the block in squid attire and it is AMAZING, the throttle snaps, the response is very quick.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow and I'll write a full ride report.

Cost for the tune was $380.00, about 4 hours on the dyno and mapping, and 65 miles of test riding. $28.00 of the cost was fuel.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Picked the FZ up from AF1 Racing yesterday. They created a custom map for the Power Commander III.

Here's the map that AF1 made for me. BIG difference between the two. Also attached is the dyno sheet. Note that the dyno used at AF1 is an Eddy Current, not a DynoJet. An Eddy Current dyno will show about 17% to 20% less hp than a DynoJet dyno, it all for relative comparisons anyway. In Eddy the FZ made 76, now it makes 82. So converted to DynoJet speak that is about 97 to 100ish HP. Bottomline, it is much better than what DynoJet offers and is WAY, WAY better than stock.

The baseline is the DynoJet map for our bike, the final is the AF1 custom map, HUGE differance in performance. I was only able to ride the bike for about 5 minutes today but I really, really like it. Note that the baseline (and all DynoJet maps are created for 04 to 06 bikes without an O2 sensor). They offer nothing for 07 to 08 bikes that have a different FI and emissions control system. - pretty lame on DJs part.

You'll notice that from 0 to 7,000 rpm in lower percent ranges, 0 to 10% throttle, the change is 0, the DynoJet map was way, way too rich. This part of the computer is closed - loop so you can't tune to make a difference, the computer runs the show regardless. The map difference is because DynoJet uses a Lambda, auto sensor program/method/logic, several problems with this; 1) a motorcycle doesn't have one, 2) the Lambda measures at the beginning of the exhaust manifold - we don't have one, 3) because the MC exhaust is short it pulls exhaust back into the muffler and a exhaust sniffer will give false reading. So...AF1 uses a 4 Gas EGA sensor instead, this method gives much leaner/truer reading.

The tall graph is hp, the middle is torque (that is what I was after) the bottom is hydrocarbons (30 to 40 parts per million) and carbon monoxide (0 to .1%), this thing is CLEAN. So that means it is a very, very effecient engine that is maximizing the burn of the fuel. AF1 tunes from the BOTTOM graph striving the the correct and flat HO and CO ratios, this results in more torque and hp. Makes sense. Note how much richer the DJ map is , almost 2X.

A few side notes, 1) our TRUE redline is 13,600, NOT 14,000. Like our speedos the tach is high. The PC3 gives true reading, the Yamaha reading, 14K, is for sales purposes only. 2) There is no point in reving to redline because the top of the power curve is flat, 12,000 is good enough. 3) The PC3 with this map smooths out the steep transition from 6K to 8K and the torque builds in a more linear fashion, not lumpy, bumpy in that RPM range. 4) Mileage should go up, we will see, I get 42 to 43ish, I'll watch it and let you know, 50 would be great. 5) the Yamaha CATs are excellent, very, very effecient. This is the CLEANEST and GREATEST bike that AF1 has even tuned. The CATs flow very well too.

I've only ridden it around the block in squid attire and it is AMAZING, the throttle snaps, the response is very quick.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow and I'll write a full ride report.

Cost for the tune was $380.00, about 4 hours on the dyno and mapping, and 65 miles of test riding. $28.00 of the cost was fuel.
Thanks Pete I have been waiting for you to post your results for a while now. I have seen a number of posts stating that PC III would be pointless on a stock bike. Would you also concur with this thought or do you believe that it would also improve the throttle response?
I really like my stock exhausts as I am not a fan of high dB's when riding. I have installed a K&N filter on my bike.
I can't wait for your ride impressions .
Nelly

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
thats awesome, Top! and it looks like a decent gain through the entire rev range :thumbup: I bet that thing is going to be a rocket now!:eek::rockon: Also i was thinking that maybe you have the fastest bike on here now and............ it is blue! I told ya! :jawdrop:

Thanks Pete I have been waiting for you to post your results for a while now. I have seen a number of posts stating that PC III would be pointless on a stock bike. Would you also concur with this thought or do you believe that it would also improve the throttle response?
I really like my stock exhausts as I am not a fan of high dB's when riding. I have installed a K&N filter on my bike.
Nelly

Nelly I have seen where tuning to a stock vehicle will make major improvements but the fz is probobly tuned close to max from the factory. It may make a difference in your throttle response and you could have it tuned to adjust the torque curve where you want it but i think most people say it is "worthless" on a stock bike because of the dollars to improvement ratio..... it can and will help but how much is the true question. :thumbup:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Pete for the details and cost!

i cant wait to hear your full ride report also...

Nelly , PC3 is usefull and changes the feeling of the bike,,smooths out the lower rpms,,i dont have an exhaust either,just K&N air filter...i can feel the richness on the bike right now,,if you really want to get %100 out of your PC3 than you gotta get a custom map done for your bike...i have heard that even for an exact same bike,the maps would differ according to the weather conditions where you live..humidity and all that...
im gonna get it done and post it also,,everyone who wants more performance out of their bikes should consider pc3 and get a custom map done for it..but you have to finish all the mods you wanna put to the engine first,to custom map it..after i get the custom map ,if i decide to install an exhaust ,the map has to be redone..

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly

Nelly - From what I learned over the past week I think a PC3 would help a stock bike, as long as custom map was created for it.

One thing AF1 mentioned is that in the mid range there is way too much fuel, even stock, for the bike to burn, so it just passed through the system. I ask why and AF1 said the manufactures typically tune the bikes fatter knowing most folks will add a pipe and or air filter system. If they tuned them lean, and then a pipe was added, that would create a condition that is too lean. The MFG simply wants the bike to make it through the warrenty period without overheating. Micah stated that at 40% throttle my bike now makes more power in the mid-range, than is did at 100% throttle. The correct air to fuel ratio is so important. Because an engine is an air pump that uses fuel to facilitate the pumping of air.

So I think the PC3 would make a stock bike, smoother, more fuel effecient, more torque and more powerful.

I learned to much from Micah over the past week. And I thought I was a gearhead! The thought process he used make total sence, but I had never thought about it in those terms. The reason being the tools he used didn't exist 10 to 15 years ago, gotta love technology! :thumbup:

I'll get the ride in later today. We have renters moving into our rent house today and I've got a bunch of nickle and dime stuff to get done today.

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason being the tools he used didn't exist 10 to 15 years ago, gotta love technology! :thumbup:

CAUTION: OLD GUY WHO HASN'T HAD HIS MORNING COFFEE YET RANT:-

Kids today, I tell ya...:D
The basic tools for analyzing exhaust gases, dyno's and good, competent engine tuners have been around for a long, long time. What has changed since the mid-80's is the availability of computer-controlled, fuel-injected engine management systems to everyone. Prior to that, these systems were only seen on very exotic machinery, or racing cars.
The technology and fuel injection system used on our FZ6's is actually quite primitive. :)

END OF RANT. :D

I'm looking forward to your ride report, Hellgate!! My FZ6 is definitely putting out a bit more power and torque since installing my Scorp's and PCIII, but it's a bit rough around the edges, and is definitely running way too rich in mid-band (as your tech proved). I will be getting it professionally set up sometime before the end of this riding season at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA, who are an authorized Dynojet dealer. If I made an appointment today, I would have to wait 2 months to get in. :eek:

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
i dont know why everyone is so uptight about powercommander, my bike and all my friends bikes haul WAY MORE ASS now. for real theyre beasts with powercommanders.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Nelly

So Nelly, now all we have to do is find someone with one of these machines in the UK and then try to work out a group deal or something.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats awesome, Top! and it looks like a decent gain through the entire rev range :thumbup: I bet that thing is going to be a rocket now!:eek::rockon: Also i was thinking that maybe you have the fastest bike on here now and............ it is blue! I told ya! :jawdrop:

Nelly I have seen where tuning to a stock vehicle will make major improvements but the fz is probobly tuned close to max from the factory. It may make a difference in your throttle response and you could have it tuned to adjust the torque curve where you want it but i think most people say it is "worthless" on a stock bike because of the dollars to improvement ratio..... it can and will help but how much is the true question. :thumbup:
Thanks mate,

I am not after massive power gains. I would love to have the throttle response a little more snappy though.
There are other things that I could do before this though. Throttle boddie adjusment for one. I have checked throttle free play and that is ok.
I appriciate you info. I guess I may be getting mord db zorsts after all.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly , PC3 is usefull and changes the feeling of the bike,,smooths out the lower rpms,,i dont have an exhaust either,just K&N air filter...i can feel the richness on the bike right now,,if you really want to get %100 out of your PC3 than you gotta get a custom map done for your bike...i have heard that even for an exact same bike,the maps would differ according to the weather conditions where you live..humidity and all that...
im gonna get it done and post it also,,everyone who wants more performance out of their bikes should consider pc3 and get a custom map done for it..but you have to finish all the mods you wanna put to the engine first,to custom map it..after i get the custom map ,if i decide to install an exhaust ,the map has to be redone..
Thanks mate,
I guess for all of us cash is a real considration at this present climate. All of these add ons are in or around thesame ball park. I would like more fuel economy to.

NELLY

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the basic technology has been there for, many years, but DJ is applying old auto tech to tune a newer MC, apples and oranges. All I'm saying it DJ is older, the AF1 method is newer.

I did have to wait about 2 months to get mine done, the tuner was in Euro, then I had military obligations, etc, etc.

Well worth the money and the wait. Goin' ridin' in a few hours.

CAUTION: OLD GUY WHO HASN'T HAD HIS MORNING COFFEE YET RANT:-

Kids today, I tell ya...:D
The basic tools for analyzing exhaust gases, dyno's and good, competent engine tuners have been around for a long, long time. What has changed since the mid-80's is the availability of computer-controlled, fuel-injected engine management systems to everyone. Prior to that, these systems were only seen on very exotic machinery, or racing cars.
The technology and fuel injection system used on our FZ6's is actually quite primitive. :)

END OF RANT. :D

I'm looking forward to your ride report, Hellgate!! My FZ6 is definitely putting out a bit more power and torque since installing my Scorp's and PCIII, but it's a bit rough around the edges, and is definitely running way too rich in mid-band (as your tech proved). I will be getting it professionally set up sometime before the end of this riding season at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA, who are an authorized Dynojet dealer. If I made an appointment today, I would have to wait 2 months to get in. :eek:

H

HavBlue

If you get the PC3 with the USB port, not the EX, you can make some gains on the stock bike itself with no mods at all to the intake or exhaust.

Pete, I understand what you are saying about not needing to hit the redline however, by shortshifting at 12,000 you will fall back far enough (in the rpm scale) on the upshift to actually lose more than had you gone beyond 12,000 only to fall back to 12,000 on that upshift. Yeah, you will be going past the max hp output however, when you make that shift you will be right at that max output mark getting ready for the next gear change.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you get the PC3 with the USB port, not the EX, you can make some gains on the stock bike itself with no mods at all to the intake or exhaust.

Pete, I understand what you are saying about not needing to hit the redline however, by shortshifting at 12,000 you will fall back far enough (in the rpm scale) on the upshift to actually lose more than had you gone beyond 12,000 only to fall back to 12,000 on that upshift. Yeah, you will be going past the max hp output however, when you make that shift you will be right at that max output mark getting ready for the next gear change.

Charlie, I agree, I'm going to try both and see what works. I finally finished at the rent house for the day and I'm headed out to ride.

H

HavBlue

Charlie, I agree, I'm going to try both and see what works. I finally finished at the rent house for the day and I'm headed out to ride.

Pete, please don't misunderstand me because I do know what you were saying and you are correct in saying there is no real reason to be at the redline; you aren't making any horsepower at that point. Generally speaking you are long off the curve by the time you get to the redline. However, the secret is to find that sweet spot that is above the point of the known max output rpm where the shift in ratio will cause you to drop back to that max output rpm on the shift. For my bike and only by the butt dyno this would seem to be at roughly 13,000 registered. I do however wish I had an adjustable shift light because then it would be a no brainer and the shifts could get real consistent.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I do however wish I had an adjustable shift light because then it would be a no brainer and the shifts could get real consistent.

Now wouldn't that be the "icing on the cake" after doing all the usual performance mods...
That's a great idea...I wonder if it's doable? Don't the GSXR's have an adjustable shift light?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the basic technology has been there for, many years, but DJ is applying old auto tech to tune a newer MC, apples and oranges. All I'm saying it DJ is older, the AF1 method is newer.

Sure, I knew that....It's not often an (ex) Sergeant can give a newly-made Sergeant Major the gears...:p :D

Hellgate said:
Well worth the money and the wait. Goin' ridin' in a few hours.

I can't wait to get my PCIII set up properly, along with getting the throttle bodies synch'd as well. My bike scoots really well as it is, but I know that it's running way too rich at certain throttle openings and rpm's.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT Bump - I've posted my feedback on the mod, see my first post in this thread. In a nutshell I love it! :rockon: :cheer: :thumbup: