Vid From a Recent Track Day (Infineon Raceway) - FZ6

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So I did a track day this past Monday. First one since 2009 and I had a blast. I've done a ton of street riding since my last track day and am a much better/confident rider than I was then. I've never had so much fun at the track...no butterflies...just pure joy.

So it was 33 F at the track before the first session....needless to say we had to take it easy on rock hard cold tires and a cold track for the first few laps of the first session. B the 2nd/3rd session things were up to speed and after lunch no one was holding back as it had warmed up to the high 50s / low 60s and was sunny.

I was concerned that I might be too slow for the "advanced" group because I had not run this track before and was doubting my hard braking skills but I ended up running near the front. To clarify, "advanced" is the middle group..."bring it on" is the fastest or "A" group. The cut-off to get into the fastest "bring it on" group is 2:02. I ran a few 2:06's throughout the day and lots of 2:07/2:08 with traffic. Pretty damn sure I would have no problem dropping quite a bit of time with a few more days at this track and could run comfortably in A...and with a sport bike and good tires it would be no problem...but anyway. Some of the people in my group were just TOO slow.

So I didn't edit this video...so the first 2:30 is a slow warm up lap with no attemps to pass (my buddy is in front of me so I'm trying to get some footage of him). If you are like me, you probably won't want to watch a 15 minute video so let me break it down for you:

- 0 to 2:30: warm up lap...nothing interesting other than to note that the guy on the red/white/black Aprilla RSV that passes me in T4 at the 0:55 mark gets repassed by me later

- 2:55 pass a Ninja 650r in T2

- 3:18 pass a Honder 999 around the outside in T4

- 3:30 to 3:55 catch up to two sport bikes in T6 and pass in the T7 braking zone

- 5:50 pass some POS in T6

- 6:34 GET passed by someone a lot faster

- 6:45 Pass some dude in T10, GET passed on the brakes going into T11...but pass back IN T11

- 7:20 pass an R6 in T2

- 7:25 to 8:20...open track! Hit all my marks

- 8:20 GET passed on the brakes going into T7 but keep up until he stands it up and powers away...keep him in my sights but he just disappears down the front straight at 9:15...but then I kinda catch up through T1 to T4 (9:50) and pass an R1 in T4

- 11:25 jump the rubble strip at the exit of T1 (still trailing that guy)

- 12:05 try to pass on the inside going into T6 but get stuff by this girl in white leathers and have to brake pretty hard while turning...get some feedback from the front end

Ok...that's enough

Infineon Raceway - PTT - Advanced Group - February 2012 (2004 FZ6) - YouTube

In a few years I may get a track bike and do half a dozen track days a year for a while...we'll see...maybe I'll even learn how to be fast. For now I'm selling the FZ6 and won't have a bike for the track for a while.

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last hurrah on the FZ6 eh Nate? After riding behind you on your new KTM last Saturday and watching you use your foot instead of your knee in the corners I know you'll have no problem making the transition (or slowing down for that matter). :D
Awesome choice in the KTM by the way, it's making me reconsider my bike choice for when I turn 60 in a couple of years and have to "grow up". :spank:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
interesting to see, seem to be quite a mix of bikes, and everybody seems to be taking wildly different lines

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Last hurrah on the FZ6 eh Nate? After riding behind you on your new KTM last Saturday and watching you use your foot instead of your knee in the corners I know you'll have no problem making the transition (or slowing down for that matter). :D
Awesome choice in the KTM by the way, it's making me reconsider my bike choice for when I turn 60 in a couple of years and have to "grow up". :spank:

Last hurrah....I was thinking this is my last lap....this is my last turn....this is it...good way to go out.

Great riding with you too! You need to sample the 950 next time.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
That makes me really want to do a track day. I have never done one, and I'm a little hesitant based on cost, timing, and most of all my lack of experience. I know they have beginner classes/levels but still.... Sorta intimidating. Very interesting video though.

Anyone every done a track day in brainerd, mn at brainerd international raceway (BIR)?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty awesome track day. Congrats on an otherwise uneventful track day and handing it to frankly much more powerful and better handling bikes!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That makes me really want to do a track day. I have never done one, and I'm a little hesitant based on cost, timing, and most of all my lack of experience. I know they have beginner classes/levels but still.... Sorta intimidating. Very interesting video though.

Anyone every done a track day in brainerd, mn at brainerd international raceway (BIR)?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Just sign up for the beginner group and do your thing. You will be in the same shoes as everyone else in your group so don't stress.

When it comes to cost, consider it cheap insurance against damaging your bike or body due to lack of skills....that is, you will become a much better street rider by getting comfortable at the trAck.

Not sure what you mean by "timing". How much experience do you have?

Check out the sportbiketracktime website for dates at tracks near you.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job! Looks like fun :thumbup: I'm jelly.

The track looks great...blue skies, big clouds, rolling hills....

Shows what type of rider I am! Just putting around for the scenery.:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job! Looks like fun :thumbup: I'm jelly.

The track looks great...blue skies, big clouds, rolling hills....

Shows what type of rider I am! Just putting around for the scenery.:D:rolleyes:

Ha! I very much enjoyed my surroundings the entire day. I took a bunch of pics of the track from up on the hill side and was definitely enjoying the sky/clouds all day....funny to have nice green grass and flowers in your vision as you rail around a corner at the track.

So I see you put a deposit down...that's awesome!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Overtakes the R1 on the outside! haha

Good quality vid.

That track has such a nice layout. Would love to check it out one day.

Got going pretty quick there. Seems like you were really pushing trying to catch that one SS machine whatever it was. Ran wide couple times you did as you gave it the beans haha.

Thanks for posting

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
What a great track
What was the bike at 2.0 minutes that overtook the lot of you with a yellow jacket? he was riding it like a super moto

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

Heading should have read: "It's how you ride, not what you ride"

Good work on catching all the apexes and on passing bigger bikes!

P.S. Is that a WR450 on slicks passing everybody! :eek: