Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Oil Consumption

Thanks for the useful info!! I checked it 4-5 times on different places - at home, at the office, etc. As it seems I've got a false reading the first time because I checked the level on an uneven surface in the yard at home. Your comments made me think that I am probably doing something wrong so thank you once again!

The info about low level because of old oil is very interesting! Hadn't heard of it :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Oil Consumption

My bike burned a lot of oil when it was new. But since the break in periiod, by bike doesn't use a drop. You should check your oil with the center stand for consistent readings.

amolwankhede

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the Best OIL? - Time to Change

Hi fellow riders...

Time to change the oil....

What do you people put in it? Synthetic? Brands.....? :confused:

Please suggest.

thanks

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What is the Best OIL? - Time to Change

Try a search as there are many threads on oil here for you to view. Really, there is no best one, but it needs to meet the specs outlined by Yamaha.

FWIW I use Rotella Synthetic (The blue gallon at Walmart). :thumbup: If you want brand recognition, I'd go with Klotz. They are in more racing bikes than any other brand alone.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good ole' Yamalube or whatever I can find on sale that is a motorcycle oil.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org

my brother and I did oil changes at the same time although his bike has 15,000 miles on it and mine had 4,000.

Him: Rotella racing oil (super expensive!!!). His review: I can feel teh difference as soon as I got on it!

Me: Stayed with the Yamalube conventional oil. Felt a little different (smoother), but oil was oil at that point (budget price).

I think it's personal preference...I don't see why I'd put a racing synthetic in my bike when I'm not racing it or canyon carving all the time. I commute everyday and in the city generally don't rev high RPMs either. Put what's going to make you feel good!:thumbup:

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site

:banghead::spank::banghead::spank:

I swear i think I have seen this thread before:justkidding: Just kidding.

I know what you are going thru. The first time that I changed mine, I still wasn't sure what to use, even after reading every thread on here.

I used Rotella dino 15w40. The reason was that it was cheap and had read that quite a few people had used it.

I noticed a difference as soon as I changed it.

The next time I change it I will probably put in rotella full synthetic just to see if there is much difference between the dino and synthetic Rotella.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site

I like Mobile 1 4t - I have used Mobil 1 for all my cars and now use it for my bike with the Mobil 1 Filter. Should both be available at your local Advanced Auto or AutoZone. (was cheaper there than online too!)

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site

Oh Yea one more thing. Your oil filter.

I used a Puraltor Pure One, and from what I have seen quite a few people on this forum use them.:thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org

haha yea...the filter...if you replace it yourself, don't get the yamaha one, cuz using a filter tool sucks...I'd rather get one that has teh bolt on it to use a wrench instead!!! I replaced the old one with the yamaha one and getting it off was a b*tch. Next time I'm doing Purolator or K&N with the bolt on top for ease of use!

but my filter tool was $8 at Kragen haha

W

wrightme43

Melted Crisco, and bacon drippings.
Or mobil one. What ever you like.

I use full synth oil. Normal oil is sorta like taking synth oil and melting a candle in it. The cheaper oils have even more parrifin.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Ahhh...an oil thread. I obsess about this stuff too.

Is it the first oil change? If so, I'm one of the superstitous types who believes in running conventional oil for the first few thousand miles (yes, I know that most synthetics are really not synthetic anyway, and yes I know that many vehicles ship from the factory with synthetic these days so it probably makes no difference).

My choices would be:

Dino oil.....Shell Rotella 15W-40. Cheap at Walmart.

Synthetic....Mobil 1 MX-4T 10W-40. Not cheap but I love this stuff. When my bike hits 3-4K I'll be running this stuff.

Filter........Supertech ST7317. Not quite as good as the Purolator, but almost as good and costs $2.50 at Walmart.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Walmart, nor do I buy stuff there....other than oil and filters (seriously).

amolwankhede

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks For the Info -

This is my second Oil change.......the first one (600 mile) is done by dealer and Not sure what oil they used.

But I wish to go for Sythetic. I use Mobil 1 for my STI and like that....Dont know about the bikes.

I am going to try Mobil this time and I will buy Purolator filter- Can somebody tell me what to ask for (Filter number ?) and Where?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org

The best thing to do would be to download the manual for you bike from this site. It has the directions (with pictures) on how to do the change and part numbers, etc...

or just do a thread search for "oil change" and you'll definately find your info PLUS cool tips like covering the exhaust pipes with tin foil first! good luck!

It feels good to service yourself:smoking::rof:

W

wrightme43

searchy searchy this topic has been beaten like a blank on blank.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Motorcycle specific oils (brands)

Maxima
Golden Spectro
Elf
Motul
Repsol
Castrol
Mobil
Amsoil
Klotz
Redline
Royal Purple
7th Gear

There are more manufactures that make motorcycle oil, but these are fairly easy to find. Some companies also make automotive oils, but all make an oil that will work in the FZ6.

Shell makes some motorcycle specific oils, but are harder to find. The Rotella T 15w-40 meets the JASO MA requirement and the new Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 should also meet the spec, but do not look for it on the bottle.:rolleyes:

Any oil you choose will work fine (as long as the weights are close).

Status
Not open for further replies.