Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What is the Best OIL? - Time to Change

Well I just changed my oil. I have 1100 miles on my 07 FZ6. I used what the manual said well sort of. The manual calls for 10w 30 given the temp range I live in. But I was told when I got to the dealer they no longer make 10w 30 so I got 10w 40 which isn't that much different again I was told and that is my noobie two cents worth. :smoking::)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks For the Info -

This is my second Oil change.......the first one (600 mile) is done by dealer and Not sure what oil they used.

But I wish to go for Sythetic. I use Mobil 1 for my STI and like that....Dont know about the bikes.

I am going to try Mobil this time and I will buy Purolator filter- Can somebody tell me what to ask for (Filter number ?) and Where?

Got it.

Apparently, the best Purolator is the Purolator Pure One (3.25") #PL14610. PL14612 will also fit too (it's just a bit shorter at about 2.5").

Just google to find it online. I think Pep Boys carries it too...not certain sure since we don't have that chain around here....

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site

I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but has anyone else noticed that the maintenance schedule in the service manual says to only change the oil filter every OTHER oil change after the 600 mile service??? I'd never noticed it until then. Doesn't that seem counter to what you've always heard? Change the oil, change the filter.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but has anyone else noticed that the maintenance schedule in the service manual says to only change the oil filter every OTHER oil change after the 600 mile service??? I'd never noticed it until then. Doesn't that seem counter to what you've always heard? Change the oil, change the filter.
hmm.. You are right. I had my manual right beside me and checked it when I read your post. Wonder why it says that?

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site

ok this is probably a dumb question but i have no idea and cant really find the a sufficient answer.... what is the difference between a 4 stroke oil and 4-cycle oil? If there is a difference, which im sure there is, can the fz6 use either of them? I was shopping the other day and i have a change coming up within the next week or so and just curious... thanks for any help

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Rotella Synthetic + Purolator PureOne.

4 stroke and 4 cycle is the exact same thing. 2 cycle oil is different however. It's meant to be mixed with fuel.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

ok this is probably a dumb question but i have no idea and cant really find the a sufficient answer.... what is the difference between a 4 stroke oil and 4-cycle oil? If there is a difference, which im sure there is, can the fz6 use either of them? I was shopping the other day and i have a change coming up within the next week or so and just curious... thanks for any help

No difference, both 4 cycle and 4 stroke are the same Otto cycle engine design.

Intake, compression, power, exhaust are the 4 "cycles" that are completed to produce power.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

My old Honda manual also called for filter changes with every other oil change. While I'm quite sure a filter would hold up for longer than one oil change, they're cheap enough that it's better to just change the filter.

The only time I don't change the filter is when I change the oil to put my bike in storage for the winter. When I change the oil again in the Spring I put a new filter in then (yes, I change the oil before and after storage).

N Spec

Reaction score
Visit site
Another Oil question - More focused on intervals/miles

Ok, so I did a quick search and I saw only 2 threads about oil and it didn't really answer my question. So I shall bring it up again. I use synthetic (Mobil 1 10w30) on my NSX, and I still change it every 3000 miles, give or take within that +/-700 miles or so. Yes I know synthetic can last longer than that, but I drive it hard and almost everyday so I use synthetic just in case.

I plan on using the FZ as a daily commute to work so I will be in city traffic alot. I went to check the prices on oil for the bike and it's ridiculous for synthetic bike oil. So at Walmart, 5 quarts quantity, there's Rotella T Syn 5w40 for $18, Rotella T dino 15w40 for $8, and Mobil 1 for $23. My question is base on the driving conditions that I will experiece, what is the best interval to change, by miles? I've read all kinds of different number, every 2k, 4k, 8k and even 10k miles so i really don't know which one to believe. Once I get more experienced with the bike I am sure I will drive it like when I am in the NSX and I tend to redline quite often if not rev higher than needed for everyday driving.

I know the type of oil effects the intervals, so that's why I am undecided on the type/brand also. I also never used Shell Rotella before and have used Mobil 1 for a long time, so I am torn between the two. I heard a lot about the great value of the regular Rotella T. Also what is the best intervals for the Pureone oil filters?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Another Oil question - More focused on intervals/miles

While I can't really add to the intelligence, I'll just add in that the containers of Rotella are 1 gallon. :D

W

wrightme43

I highly reccomend mobil one and a 5000 mile interval with the purolater pure one filter.

N Spec

Reaction score
Visit site

Opps, so maybe it's just the Mobil 1 that is 5 quarts? So really the Mobil 1 isn't as expensive as I thought cause it's about an extra quart. Well that may make my brand choice a bit easier. 10w40 Mobil 1? 5000 miles sounds good.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Opps, so maybe it's just the Mobil 1 that is 5 quarts? So really the Mobil 1 isn't as expensive as I thought cause it's about an extra quart. Well that may make my brand choice a bit easier. 10w40 Mobil 1? 5000 miles sounds good.
Is there a regular Mobil1 10w-40? The only 10w-40 i've seen is "high mileage"?

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

i change my oil at 3000km (1875mi) on the mobil1 MC 10w40.
I noticed a huge change in shift quality before I changed it. But I also did about half of the mileage on the oil on long winding road trips where the bike saw contant 6000-12000rpms for most of the trip.

So change the oil before it needs to be done and based on how you ride it. Higher temps and higher engine/trans speeds = faster thermal breakdown and more sheering of the oil

N Spec

Reaction score
Visit site

Well how is 10w30? Will that leave me with less protection for the bike? I am in souther VA too, so the climate is humid and hot in the summer and gets a bit cold in the winter. I believe the manual reccomends 10w30, but everyone seems to like 10w40.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site

10w30 will be thinner at temp. than 10w40.

also take into account that most 10w30 will be a lighter viscosity cold than a 10w40. many use the rotella 5w40. I haven't checked but it may even be thinner cold than a 10w30.

also when using 10w30 make sure it's commercial diesel oil. During my hard break in I used Petro Cans Duron 10w30 which is JASO MA

because of how hard i ride I'm thinking of going to something that is a 50 weight.

go with the 5 or 10w40 in the summer and if you ride in the winter use the 10w30.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

I had my 1st service performed at the selling dealership, and they installed Motul mineral oil. This caused some issues, particularly a "screech" that would come from the clutch on occasion when engaging it. When I got to about 2000 km's, I decided to install some synthetic oil. Amsoil was on sale at our local Canadian Tire store, so I put in Amsoil 10w40 and replaced the oil filter.
Fast forward to this morning, and just over 3000 km's later. I did an oil change on my 06 FZ6 in preparation for putting it in storage (medical issues :( ) and installed Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, along with a PureOne oil filter. I took the bike for a spin this afternoon and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! :eek:
Now, just so you know, I am a fully licensed auto mechanic even though I don't work on the bench anymore, so am not subject to sales hype or imaginary improvements.
If I hadn't experienced the difference myself, I wouldn't have believed it. My bike vibrates less....MUCH less, has more power and the clutch and transmission work like a dream. The engine even sounds different...and I'm not kidding. It also runs cooler by a full bar on the dash display. Wow.
That does it for me. Rotella 1, Amsoil 0. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.