Top Speed???

ManicFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
In the USA, there is a mandate that every sport bikes speedometer must read faster than you are going. I put a speedo healer on mine and by useing a radar gun, my Brother-inlaw is chief of Police here, I got it really accurate. This said, when I got the bike it had a Leo Vince Exaust and a Power Comander 3 on it. My personal best was 153mph and I was just at the red line. I have since then taken the go fast stuff off and now my best has been 144mph. It was just too dang loud the other way.

H

HavBlue

In the USA, there is a mandate that every sport bikes speedometer must read faster than you are going. I put a speedo healer on mine and by useing a radar gun, my Brother-in-law is chief of Police here, I got it really accurate. This said, when I got the bike it had a Leo Vince Exaust and a Power Comander 3 on it. My personal best was 153mph and I was just at the red line. I have since then taken the go fast stuff off and now my best has been 144mph. It was just too dang loud the other way.

OK, we need to be real careful here because there may be no mandate at all. Rather, the Speedometers are certified by the manufacturer for US operation though testing that has specific criteria as represented by Society of Automotive Engineers test SAE J-1226. I believe the European counterpart is ECR-39. SAE J-1226 was published January 1,1983. Now, here is where things get interesting, I can find nothing that suggests the manufacturers must follow this standard for motorcycles. The automotive manufacturers are allowed a deviation that can not exceed 4% either plus or minus.

I would suggest this... If a manufacturer certified a speedometer that was dead accurate or read slow, they would place themselves in a position of liability where the speeding citation could in fact be charged to them if the inaccuracy of the speedometer was found to be within the parameters of the citation and that would be a very bad thing. Remember, that speedometer only has to be accurate to a point where the maximum posted speed may be in any one country. So, if the thing is 4mph slow at an actual speed of 70mph their butts are covered real good. One place I do know a odometer has to be within 2% is any industry where the consumer is charged by the mile. An example of this would be the Taxi industry.

If there is a legislative mandate I would dearly love to see it because this issue has been going around for years.

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to see the mandate in writing as well.. I for one am not a bit surprised at a notion of big brother trying to save us from ourselves.

BTW. I have 30 miles of my bike and hit 95 pretty quick. I am in the break in process, so I need to keep the rpm's down.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
All speedos read over the true speed here in the UK as well, it's just a way to allow for the inaccuracies in the speedo operation not getting you a speeding ticket. If that happened maufacturers would be getting thousands of court claims against them. So it's better for them that they read over than under.

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
In the USA, there is a mandate that every sport bikes speedometer must read faster than you are going. I put a speedo healer on mine and by useing a radar gun, my Brother-inlaw is chief of Police here, I got it really accurate. This said, when I got the bike it had a Leo Vince Exaust auto body part and a Power Comander 3 on it. My personal best was 153mph and I was just at the red line. I have since then taken the go fast stuff off and now my best has been 144mph. It was just too dang loud the other way.

Men that was fast.. Ican only go up to 140 mph bro

keith2401

Reaction score
Visit site
Can i just ask a question , I,m fairly new to riding a naked bike but have found that at 100mph the wind is trying to push me off the back of the bike , How the hell do you stay on at 150+ ??

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can i just ask a question , I,m fairly new to riding a naked bike but have found that at 100mph the wind is trying to push me off the back of the bike , How the hell do you stay on at 150+ ??
You dont lol, You need to lay down on the tank, scary business indeed on a naked. Plus 90mph+ for extended periods on a naked kills your neck.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes going in for 600 mile service tomorrow so will be able to open her up and try. lol
In a safe open space mate. I can honestly say that once you reach your comfort zone anything above does not add to the riding experience. Take it easy and be safe.

Nelly

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
In a safe open space mate. I can honestly say that once you reach your comfort zone anything above does not add to the riding experience. Take it easy and be safe.

Nelly

agreed! take it nice and easy because the first time I opened mine up (non-naked) over 110mph it got really jittery and scared the be-jesus out of me! accellerate nice and smooth when you attempt this the first time with plenty of room for error (lots of breaking room)

keith2401

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a nice safe ride home from Powerbiking in High Wycombe but quite windy anyway so got banged about a bit ! Since i have only been up to 7/8k Revs it was quite a shock to hit 10k the extra kick was unbelievable looking forward to the summer now :Flash:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a nice safe ride home from Powerbiking in High Wycombe but quite windy anyway so got banged about a bit ! Since i have only been up to 7/8k Revs it was quite a shock to hit 10k the extra kick was unbelievable looking forward to the summer now :Flash:
Good stuff mate. 10K smiles per hour lol.

Nellly

Rusty

Reaction score
Visit site
Top speed?

Hi guys just wondering what fastest anyone got up to on their fz6 track or road??

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Top speed?

i went 80 indicated today (which thanks to my GPS i now know is 76.2mph) and it was very windy and i was being blown all around...

So far that is the fastest that i have gone.

D

dewin82

i have went way too fast on mine my brother bought a fz1 so i was always trying to keep up ive had mine up to 150 but i dont suggest it