Top Speed???

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Forget the track, I want to take my bike out back here at work at rip it down runway 26R, 14,500 feet in length. It's so smooth and wide.....very tempting.

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
Man i wish i had a runway to play on....
I hit 125.6mph on the GPS the other day, didn't look at the bike's speedo though.
And that was with the woman on the back....

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
MMMM a runway would be nice!

I only got mine up to 151 mph on a long stretch of road in the middle of nowhere, Minnesota. When I did that, I was a hefty 235 pounds with a full tank of gas. Of course, someone above told me I shouldn't do that anymore because I ended up riding through a swarm of bees! None of them got me...they were splattered all over my helmet before they could do anything. I had to pull over to clean my helmet.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Oooh Boneman..... :rolleyes:

First off i am a very experienced rider, even if i am younger. and i am fully aware that speed is dangerous, and have more than adequate experiences and abilities to ride fast

It does not take a whole lot of skill to twist the throttle and click the gears down a straight road. The only reason I say this is to point out that you're at the mercy of your environment....not your skills. At 150, if you hit a rock or a groove, or an animal jumps out, you're pretty much SOL.

The risk vs. reward is just not there for me.....to each his own so long as you're not endangering anyone else :thumbup:

As for where i was i live in the plains of oklahoma and there is a stretch of road that ive ridden many many times, and its perfect, straight and flat for as far as you can see, in good shape, and in the absolute middle of nowhere, no traffic, no access, such as intersections or driveways.

Aside from the fact that there would not be an ambulance waiting and ready (that's a big "except"), this is probably just as safe as the track. Assuming there are not a ton of animals around and you've scoped out the road, the area you described sounds good to me.

I'm not aware of many venues that provide enough pavement to get into 6th gear on the FZ6 (stock gearing).

FWIW, animals do end up road race courses every now and then...we were warned about turtles and deer at Road America (600cc's do 140+ down the front straight).
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
What? We seem to be on the same page Def ...I was just too lazy to type it all out. Great point about being at the mercy of the enviornment. That's why I said save it for the track.

I just think the whole "Hey, how fast can you go?" thing is a wee bit juvenile. Seriously, who cares. At the end of the day what does it get you?

Yes I've gone fast on my FZ6, but never bothered to try and max/pin it out. I'm a 'what if' kind of rider..."what if there is a deer around the corner, stalled car, gravel, pot hole, etc." I agree that an airstrip or straight track would be a fun place to try it and about the only place I would consider doing it.

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
150 + on the FZ6? Whoooaaaa!

You speed demons. Being a Green-Horn Rider still, I was really excited to be going 55MPH today on my second ride out! I can't imagine what it would be like going over 100MPH, but 150 MPH that is just out of my imagination LOL.

55MPH was cool, I ducked under the wind shield, chest to tank and I felt the bike being a part of me. I see it can get addicting though. Cheers, and ride safe! You Speed Demons.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Speed update

In my previous post I was very excited going around 55 MPH. Several days ago I crossed over to triple digits. 100 MPH on the freeway. :Sport:

H

HavBlue

So what...you guys want a medal? or a chest to pin it on?

I'm seeing a corilation between Top Speed and Top Moron... Save it for the track guys.

Why? Is there something special about a track? Besides, we can do it on some nice deserted stretch of asphalt for free. On the track there are 40 other people trying to do it and then you wreck......

H

HavBlue

Top Speed update

In my previous post I was very excited going around 55 MPH. Several days ago I crossed over to triple digits. 100 MPH on the freeway. :Sport:

Where did you find enough freeway that was empty of cages in LA? Did you head for the desert or what? Congratulations, you survived.....

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Why? Is there something special about a track? Besides, we can do it on some nice deserted stretch of asphalt for free. On the track there are 40 other people trying to do it and then you wreck......

Ummm.. why exactly are you rehashing and dredging up posts from November 2007?? Thanks for showing up to the conversation....4 months late..... You must be bored tonight or just want to jack up your post count.

There is something special about the track...its called NO UNSUSPECTING PUBLIC ON THE ROAD. Sure there are 40 other racers on the track...but they are all ther to RACE and are all in the same mindset and all trying to acheive the same thing. Not to mention you can go as fast as you want on the track without worrying about getting pulled over by the po-po.

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Ummm.. why exactly are you rehashing and dredging up posts from November 2007?? Thanks for showing up to the conversation....4 months late..... You must be bored tonight.

There is something special about the track...its called NO UNSUSPECTING PUBLIC ON THE ROAD. Sure there are 40 other racers on the track...but they are all their to RACE and are all in the same mindset and all trying to achieve the same thing. Not to mention you can go as fast as you want on the track without worrying about getting pulled over by the popo.

I guess you forgot to read the fact you had posted to this yesterday but that's OK, you can blame me.

Now, as to your theory about the track, it doesn't hold water around here as there are any number of places where I don't have to worry about the public at all. As to getting pulled over, I'll worry about that when they send the cops out to this neck of the woods which will very likely be never.

If you have a problem going beyond the speed limit on the public streets that's good and I for one would never suggest you do otherwise but then again I would never suggest others hold to that as they to may have learned there are places where speeds can be achieved in a safe manner. I do however understand "safe" is a relative term not to be associated with reckless.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Forget the track, I want to take my bike out back here at work at rip it down runway 26R, 14,500 feet in length. It's so smooth and wide.....very tempting.

yah that would be the place to do it.
I hit 100, yesterday and that was plenty fast for me, only had the bike a week.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I've been asking the pilots here at work where they could recommend an airstrip that does not have a tower. I'm thinking of taking my bike out on the runway. They mentioned a couple airports out in the desert, but the length is kind of short, around 3500 feet in length.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you find enough freeway that was empty of cages in LA? Did you head for the desert or what? Congratulations, you survived.....

It was late in the evening; rush hour traffic was gone. Feeling awake, my heart calm, I slowly started adding throttle. My odometer read 60, 68, 75, 82, 90, 98, little more and i crossed over to 100. I eased off after that. No rush, just getting to know my bike little more.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Actually, I've been asking the pilots here at work where they could recommend an airstrip that does not have a tower. I'm thinking of taking my bike out on the runway. They mentioned a couple airports out in the desert, but the length is kind of short, around 3500 feet in length.

Hmmm those could still be pretty fun. Do you remember were they are at?
:Sport:

H

HavBlue

I can think of a place not far from you between Hiko and Lund that will get you 79,000 feet of running room and its dead smooth. In fact, folks use it twice a year and top well over 200mph. It's a beautiful ride over there too.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
its not really crazy, cars are driving 80-90 on the highway like its nothing whats another 20-40 on top of that? :rockon:

My personal high is 114 and thats about where it will prolly stay till i can find somewhere in the desert to push it. It seems rock solid up till about 110 and then starts to feel like imminent liftoff.